!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2020 8:25 pm  #2501

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu cannot feel sensation in his fingers.

2/22/2020 10:21 am  #2502

Kondor calls to the growling. “I would die in battle, not succumb to the death sleep of winter, so come to me if you are a foe! I have but one tooth, a steel tooth! Is this too much for you? Show yourself!”

2/22/2020 5:01 pm  #2503

[Just checking, we’re still waiting on a roll from Igrest, right?]

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

2/22/2020 7:09 pm  #2504

[ that roll might just change everything.....]

2/24/2020 1:33 pm  #2505

...Igrest seems to be in shock now that he's realized he doesn't have his pack...and neither do the two of you!

2/24/2020 1:36 pm  #2506

The growling ceases at the barbarian's thunder, then the sound of movement away.

The esquimeaux notices the color has drained from the barbarian's face as the cold begins to take its toll.

2/25/2020 2:48 am  #2507

Iron Ranger wrote:

The growling ceases at the barbarian's thunder, then the sound of movement away.

The esquimeaux notices the color has drained from the barbarian's face as the cold begins to take its toll.

Kondor is an expert in arctic survival. He is clearly in the thick of it. He wants to get to shelter or make one now.

Would he be able to take a branch and light it off a torch, then toss it down the well?

Hoping to not die just yet.

2/25/2020 10:38 am  #2508

[If I am understanding the clues aright...]

Gundrabu muses, I don’t remember unloosing my pack. Where did it go? Hands numb. Perhaps the Cold Sickness is affecting me. Kondor too? His pack is gone, as well. Are we hallucinating? He’s lighting a torch. What happened to the one I had.

“Kondor,” Gundrabu mumbles through thick lips, “we must get into the well, huddle together for warmth until we have our heads again. Bring down Igrest, too, if we can, though that hellspawn seems immune to this element.”

2/25/2020 5:44 pm  #2509

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu muses, I don’t remember unloosing my pack. Where did it go? Hands numb. Perhaps the Cold Sickness is affecting me. Kondor too? His pack is gone, as well. Are we hallucinating? He’s lighting a torch. What happened to the one I had.

“Kondor,” Gundrabu mumbles through thick lips, “we must get into the well, huddle together for warmth until we have our heads again. Bring down Igrest, too, if we can, though that hellspawn seems immune to this element.”

“Agreed, but we must see the bottom of the well first! We’re dead if we jump into cold water.”

Kondor will hack a branch Off a tree with his sword and then light it on the torch. When lit he will toss it down the well to learn what he can about the area.

If it’s safe he goes down.

2/25/2020 7:05 pm  #2510

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor is an expert in arctic survival. He is clearly in the thick of it. He wants to get to shelter or make one now.

Would he be able to take a branch and light it off a torch, then toss it down the well?

Hoping to not die just yet.

Kondor doesn't think these long-frozen branches would ignite in timely fashion, better to toss the lit torch down,  light Gundrapbu's last with the one the sorcerer has and  get back to the sanctuary before his blood freezes in his veins.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/25/2020 7:07 pm)

2/25/2020 7:08 pm  #2511

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu has his pack. Kondor has his pack, but neither of the two fetched Igrest's pack...

2/25/2020 8:07 pm  #2512

[Aaah! 😀]

2/26/2020 4:23 pm  #2513

But we’re here following the footprints of the sled dogs. The beast men are able to climb the roof and shoot arrows. The sanctuary is not safe until we can rest.

The well makes no sense to me. We only have a set of foot prints leading to the well. We don’t have any around the dogs, but they have had their hearts removed surgically with marks similar to the undead priest weapons. But there’s no sign of combat, so the dogs must have been dominated by one or more characters who can also not leave footprints, maybe by flying.  No signs of tetrana except the footprints going to the well.

So we have to assume she is in the well or has been carried away.  If we don’t put a light down the well, it’s a problem for me because in real life the question will bug me. We’re too close to just walk away.

So if we go back then we have done all this walking for nothing. No holy water, the beast men are alive and prepared for us, and better rested, and we have no idea what happened to Terrana or if she needs help.

No way.

Kondor takes the almost done torch and tosses it in the well. He also calls down “Tetrana! Where are you???”

2/26/2020 6:24 pm  #2514

[I like your style, fireinthedust!]

Gundrabu is eager to see what—if anything—answers from or is in the well. If nothing, he is eager to ascertain if it is dry. He hopes to use it for shelter.

2/26/2020 6:54 pm  #2515

ooc: high five's for everyone!

2/27/2020 8:53 am  #2516

No reply as the torch freefalls at least sixty feet, its flame struggling to remain alight during the descent. The diameter of the well remains even, the stone construction is continuous and the rope dangles freely.
Kondor sees the slightest glint of metal on the wall as torch extinguishes upon contact with water far below.

2/27/2020 10:02 am  #2517

“I cannot feel my fingers, Kondor. I believe the Cold has begun its work on me. I doubt I can descend a rope, though seeking shelter herein appears a fool’s dream—and I am that fool. Unless there are unnoticed side passages [highly doubtful]. Though I confess that, as any man would be, I’m intrigued by that flash of metal. I suspect someone placed treasure therein.”

[Kondor might be able to lower down Gundrabu, by rope, but Gundrabu’s frozen hands won’t be able to lift the treasure. He could scout for side passages—perhaps search for secret ones, though that would take time—as unlikely as that appears.

[Alternatively, Gundrabu suggests building a leanto out of the remains of the sledge, keeping a fire within. Kondor then could explore the well at his leisure, granted that the cold of the night is survivable.]

Are the dog bodies still warm at all? If so, Gundrabu asks Kondor to cut one open. Then Gundrabu will warm his fingers in the blood to begin constructing the leanto.

2/27/2020 10:10 am  #2518

Eirvit wrote:

“I cannot feel my fingers, Kondor. I believe the Cold has begun its work on me. I doubt I can descend a rope, though seeking shelter herein appears a fool’s dream—and I am that fool. Unless there are unnoticed side passages [highly doubtful]. Though I confess that, as any man would be, I’m intrigued by that flash of metal. I suspect someone placed treasure therein.”

[Kondor might be able to lower down Gundrabu, by rope, but Gundrabu’s frozen hands won’t be able to lift the treasure. He could scout for side passages—perhaps search for secret ones, though that would take time—as unlikely as that appears.

[Alternatively, Gundrabu suggests building a leanto out of the remains of the sledge, keeping a fire within. Kondor then could explore the well at his leisure, granted that the cold of the night is survivable.]

Are the dog bodies still warm at all? If so, Gundrabu asks Kondor to cut one open. Then Gundrabu will warm his fingers in the blood to begin constructing the leanto.

The dogs have frozen solid.
A quick glance around shows no fallen timbers.
The flipped over sleigh may provide shelter for easily 1 (maybe 2) of the 3 of you.
The cemetery gate is 150 yards away.

2/27/2020 10:54 am  #2519

Iron Ranger wrote:

The cemetery gate is 150 yards away.

"(audible grunt)," Kondor turns from the well, then helps Igrest up from the sled. "Okay, let's get back to the cemetery. We need to get a fire going, rest up to get healing, and take it from there."

Kondor heads back with the others.

2/27/2020 1:18 pm  #2520

Gundrabu accompanies Kondor, lighting the way of the barbarian, though he no longer feels his hand—he has enough experience, from the Plain of Leng, with what he terms Ghost Flesh. He mourns his dogs, and plans an expedition back for that treasure—certainly after he’s rested and chosen appropriate Spells.

As he walks, he asks (mostly to confirm that he still can speak), “Kondor, where lies the nearest town—a settlement containing actually inhabitants, I mean? If it is too dangerous for me to make my own Holy Water in the Sanctuary, perhaps I can perform the ceremony among civilized folk. And we might need provisions soon.”

“Torches, for one thing,” Gundrabu adds, looking at his guttering flame.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.