!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2020 10:16 pm  #2441

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

ooc: we head back the way we came, to the Ixian, asap.

2/14/2020 10:22 pm  #2442

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc: we head back the way we came, to the Ixian, asap.

ooDM: what exactly does Gundrabu do?

2/14/2020 11:04 pm  #2443

Gundrabu lifts the lantern—which hopefully has not been upset in the melee. Then he guides Kondor, carrying Igrest, back the way Gundrabu now knows.

[If the lantern is spent or shattered, Gundrabu lights a torch.]

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

2/14/2020 11:28 pm  #2444

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu lifts the lantern—which hopefully has not been upset in the melee. Then he guides Kondor, carrying Igrest, back the way Gundrabu now knows.

[If the lantern is spent or shattered, Gundrabu lights a torch.]

Kondor frets over the left pack but is soon over it. Gundrabu leads the way with the lantern back outside. The both of them step carefully over the slain beast just outside the entrance then once out of sight of the wary beastmen make haste around the south side of the sanctuary heading west.
The wind is dead, soft flurries fall. But the snow is fresh and their prints are erased.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/14/2020 11:34 pm)

2/15/2020 11:25 am  #2445

Kondor will keep going until we reach the cemetery and the place where we camped, with the dogs and the Ixian.
"Make haste, Kraken-worshipper. We've let foes live, after giving them reason for revenge. If they fire arrows from the roof, we'll be at their mercy."

2/15/2020 12:31 pm  #2446

They trudge slowly through the thick, fresh snowfall, keeping to the wall. Kondor pressing forward, the sorcerer's dead weight making him pant, Gundrabu with the lantern behind. 

Finally they round the cemetery's wrought iron fence and make it to the gate, where they  immediately notice fresh paw prints and sled tracks through the gate opening.

2/15/2020 3:35 pm  #2447

Iron Ranger wrote:

They trudge slowly through the thick, fresh snowfall, keeping to the wall. Kondor pressing forward, the sorcerer's dead weight making him pant, Gundrabu with the lantern behind. 

Finally they round the cemetery's wrought iron fence and make it to the gate, where they  immediately notice fresh paw prints and sled tracks through the gate opening.

Kondor looks at the tracks, as he's a very experienced hunter. The sled tracks should have animal prints. My experience with seeing dogsleds includes the riders pushing the sled with their foot on occasion, so it's possible there would also be the prints of their driver.
1) Is the driver wearing boots or are they one of the beastmen?
2) If these are fresh, do we still hear the yip of the dogs?
3) Is there blood, ie: the Ixian might have saved the dogs by fleeing but she's wounded; or got off a shot before beast-men took the sled (which seems less likely, as perhaps the dogs would fight them?), or something?

I'm rolling d6's but I don't know if that is the correct thing to do.
C... which I've just discovered is opposite the 1, meaning it's a 6. Heh. Does that change anything? I honestly had no idea. I'm pretty sure I've only used it for initiative, but I don't remember if higher or lower is better (and I've been trying to avoid learning so I just report the numbers).

2/15/2020 4:52 pm  #2448

Gundrabu inspects the tracks, as well. The right runner of his sleigh is out of true, after an accident with a rock spur beneath the snow one time. And his lead dog Amarok is missing his small toenail on his front left paw.

Last edited by Eirvit (2/15/2020 4:52 pm)

2/16/2020 11:35 pm  #2449

There are only dog prints. One indeed is missing a small toenail imprint, though the slicing off the misaligned sled blades makes that deduction somewhat less certain as the right divot seems to cut through most on that side.

Their direction is away from the cemetery west - off toward the woods leading to Shankshill Mtn.

You hear nothing at all but your own labored breathing. 

The lantern sputters.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/16/2020 11:37 pm)

2/17/2020 9:36 am  #2450

Gundrabu sighs in resignation. “How much of any ally would you name Tetranna, Kondor? I’m afraid she has left us here, taking my dog and sleds and all my belongings.”

If this is true, in his mind, Gundrabu is impressed with Tetranna. How did she bend the dogs to her will? Gundrabu feels slightly betrayed by them. That woman certainly demonstrates witchy powers!

2/17/2020 9:48 am  #2451

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu sighs in resignation. “How much of any ally would you name Tetranna, Kondor? I’m afraid she has left us here, taking my dog and sleds and all my belongings.”

If this is true, in his mind, Gundrabu is impressed with Tetranna. How did she bend the dogs to her will? Gundrabu feels slightly betrayed by them. That woman certainly demonstrates witchy powers!

“Keep going to somewhere to camp. For all we know the beast men could have attacked and she led them away, perhaps with the help of her magic. Or taken off as you suggest. We need to help Egrest whatever the problem is. I’m not sure if we can stay here with them nearby. How soon can you heal the sorcerer?”

2/17/2020 11:29 am  #2452

fireinthedust wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

“Keep going to somewhere to camp. For all we know the beast men could have attacked and she led them away, perhaps with the help of her magic. Or taken off as you suggest. We need to help Egrest whatever the problem is. I’m not sure if we can stay here with them nearby. How soon can you heal the sorcerer?”

“I require a night of rest to be able to focus on the Mysteries of Khalk-xu. Only after that time can I be of any aid to Igrest. Your trust in Tetranna lightens my heart. I had forgot the cries of my dogs. You’re right; perhaps the camp was attacked, as well.”

Gundrabu thoughtfully studies the prints.

“You’re right, friend Kondor. We need warmth and shelter. Unless there is another place here safe to us, I suggest we follow these tracks.”

Gundrabu is secretly pleased with a reason to pursue his dogs.

2/17/2020 2:07 pm  #2453

Eirvit wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

“I require a night of rest to be able to focus on the Mysteries of Khalk-xu. Only after that time can I be of any aid to Igrest. Your trust in Tetranna lightens my heart. I had forgot the cries of my dogs. You’re right; perhaps the camp was attacked, as well.”

Gundrabu thoughtfully studies the prints.

“You’re right, friend Kondor. We need warmth and shelter. Unless there is another place here safe to us, I suggest we follow these tracks.”

Gundrabu is secretly pleased with a reason to pursue his dogs.

Kondor agrees, and follows the tracks.

2/17/2020 3:00 pm  #2454

The lantern sputters again and goes out, pitching the companions into darkness.

2/17/2020 3:30 pm  #2455

“Hold a moment, friend Kondor. I have a torch in my pack.”

Gundrabu kneels in the snow beside the track, takes from his bag a torch, and spends a moment striking a flame to it.

2/17/2020 5:58 pm  #2456

The newly flickering flame casts the familiar dancing shadows across the trees that both the esquimeaux and barbarian are more accustom to than even lamplight.

2/17/2020 5:58 pm  #2457

And the weight of the Sorcerer presses.

2/17/2020 10:07 pm  #2458

“Let us hope this trek is a short one.” Kondor hastens to follow the dog tracks.

2/18/2020 9:08 am  #2459

Gundrabu easily follows the trail of his sleigh through the blanket of snow. The barbarian shifts the dead weight of Igrest to his other shoulder and follows.

The tracks lead past the frozen lump of the half eaten carcass of the stranger. It seems a lifetime ago that the three met exactly here...

Gundrabu sees that his dogs paused here very briefly. Several print move out of line then quickly straighten out west. His torch lights the trail west. The path narrows and twists through the thick curtain of evergreen needles, shaken free of snow.

2/18/2020 9:42 am  #2460

[ooc: Some questions, Ref. As an Esquimaux from the Plain of Leng, how does Gundrabu gauge his survivability if he and Kondor don’t reach the sleigh—and his provisions—in a timely manner? I know that we are in a solar phase in which there is essentially no “day,” but are the “nights” significantly colder, presenting a fatal danger if we don’t find shelter in time? (I did read about one of your earlier PCs dying from exposure.)]

“We should measure our steps, Kondor, and hold back a few for a return to the Scorched Sanctuary, should too long a search necessitate it. We don’t want to freeze out here in our furs. O Blessed Night, Khalk-xu’s Ebon Waters!”

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.