!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/09/2018 6:53 am  #221

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Emral's first swing misses all three remaining half-skeletons before him, but his return strike finds bone severing one of his foes through the spine; it falls in two pieces to the floor, dropping its dagger and not attempting to retrieve it.

The other 2 skeletons stab with fervor and Emral feels the bite of their steel, the rusty blades puncturing your armor and piercing his flesh, one stab in the side, another in the leg. -3HP & -1HP

The skeleton shot moves to Malak, managing to break the arrow restricting its arm and stabs wildly at the thief, who successfully dodges.

[end of round 2]

(I missed the post! Sorry!)
Init: 3
1d20+2: 17!
Dmg: (2+2) 4

Emral knows that only victory can save them from death, and he presses forward to attack. He cleaves the wounded skeleton hoping to finish it off so they can focus on one attacker instead of several.

10/09/2018 10:52 am  #222

Skeletons int is 5. 

Malak backs out of the church doorway, parrying successfully with his bow against the half-skeleton's stabs, which bite into the soft wood.  [roll d6]

The skeleton unfortunately trips over the lantern on the floor, knocking it over and plunging room into DARKNESS!!!  [-4 to attacks]

Emral reels as the room goes dark, swinging blindly at the 2 remaining skeletons in front of him. His trusty bastard sword connects with bone!

But he definitely feels the passing wind of 2 distinct daggers whip through the air near him.

[end of round 3]

10/09/2018 12:36 pm  #223

Initiative: 5
Burning Hands: 4 damage for all in range

Emral played out the combat in his head. He was facing the door with the pulpit to his back. The skeleton had knocked over the lantern, leaving the group in darkness... and perhaps spilling the lantern oil onto the floor?

Emral stabbed the sword into the floor, then shouted the spell words to send a wave of flames over the room. His hope was to ignite the oil spilled from the lantern, as well as roast the small skeletons around the room. That would give them a fighting chance.  And who knows, perhaps the ghosts of these skeletons would fear the sight of flames that had slain them before.

10/09/2018 12:50 pm  #224

Jets of thin, multihued flames spring from the fingertips of Emral, fanning out in a 120° horizontal arc to a 5 ft range and momentarily ignite the charred bones of the 2 half-skeletons he's fighting. One succumbs to the magical flame and falls to pieces on the floor.  

He sees in the flash of light that the spilled oil and turned lamp are in the doorway 20 ft away. Further, that the other surviving half-skeleton has pushed Malak outside of the church before the flashbang of his spell instantaneously subsides, plunging the room back into DARKNESS. 

In the returned darkness Emral hears the ring of bastard sword like metal clanging to the floor and suddenly feels the grip of bone on his arm...and a childlike croaking voice in his ear - "Leave here, warlock!

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/09/2018 1:02 pm)

10/09/2018 1:39 pm  #225

I attack the skeleton in the doorway
Init 4
Attacks:
20 (-4) or I should be able to see him
18 (as above)

Damage 2 , 5

10/09/2018 1:46 pm  #226

Emral smiles at the croak.  "So the flame gives you voice! Good, then we can speak."

In a flash he remembers the endless grappling drills he learned from the house guard growing up, and grabs the arm holding his arm, and with the other pulls the skeleton close, speaking with his grim glee staring into what he assumes are the boney dark holes where its eyes should have been.

"I have more flame at my command, ghost. Call off your attack or my next spell will melt the stones of this place."

If the skeleton leaves off its aggression, Emral lets it go and picks up the sword to sheath it.

"I came here to look into the curse of this place, to avenge the deaths of those killed by brigands. Let us help you, let us free your spirits from these ruins. Tell us what happened here. But attack once more and I shall sunder this ruin and your souls with it!"

((Emral is serious, even if the other casting of BH won't completely ruin the foundations of all Hyperboria: he may have to go and come back each day, but he'll eventually melt the stones until they crack... or he dies of old age. (ahem)  That said, as a Warlock is a known sorcerer, he's hoping they'll back off and give him information. As a madman he's comfortable enough with spirits that he'll jump at the chance for what they can tell him.  He's also a narcissist (defense mechanism from being exiled and betrayed), so he won't back down.
I don't know if this would be an intimidation situation, or a diplomatic solution; or if I'm about to get really really stabbed.
I can roll for it if you prefer. I'm happy to roleplay speaking to a dead child's ghost, because that's awesome!!!  Love OSR roleplaying sword & sorcery!!!))

10/09/2018 1:53 pm  #227

Iron Ranger wrote:

Malak backs out of the church doorway, parrying successfully with his bow against the half-skeleton's stabs, which bite into the soft wood.  [roll d6]

Need this roll before we can move forward....

10/09/2018 1:58 pm  #228

10/09/2018 2:02 pm  #229

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral smiles at the croak.  "So the flame gives you voice! Good, then we can speak."

In a flash he remembers the endless grappling drills he learned from the house guard growing up, and grabs the arm holding his arm, and with the other pulls the skeleton close, speaking with his grim glee staring into what he assumes are the boney dark holes where its eyes should have been.

"I have more flame at my command, ghost. Call off your attack or my next spell will melt the stones of this place."

"I came here to look into the curse of this place, to avenge the deaths of those killed by brigands. Let us help you, let us free your spirits from these ruins. Tell us what happened here. But attack once more and I shall sunder this ruin and your souls with it!"

"Do I feel like ghost to you?" it croaks. You feel the vice of its grip tighten around your wrist. "Your puny fireworks don't frighten me..."

10/09/2018 2:05 pm  #230

achiriaco wrote:

Malak bashes the skeleton with his bow. A lucky hit as he connects with an arrow's prior damage and the skeleton shatters to the ground near the smoldering corpse of Olo.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/09/2018 2:06 pm)

10/09/2018 4:28 pm  #231

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Malak bashes the skeleton with his bow. A lucky hit as he connects with an arrow's prior damage and the skeleton shatters to the ground near the smoldering corpse of Olo.

I raise my fist to CROM!!!!

10/09/2018 4:34 pm  #232

You cannot see him through the pitch of this black night. 
But is that his croaking voice inside the dark church conversing with trusted Emral??

10/09/2018 5:24 pm  #233

Iron Ranger wrote:

You cannot see him through the pitch of this black night. 
But is that his croaking voice inside the dark church conversing with trusted Emral??

"CROM!!!! Is that you?"

10/09/2018 7:45 pm  #234

"CROMMMMMMMM!!!!!!"

10/09/2018 8:45 pm  #235

Iron Ranger wrote:

"Do I feel like ghost to you?" it croaks. You feel the vice of its grip tighten around your wrist. "Your puny fireworks don't frighten me..."

"No? Then I'll give you reason to fear me!"  Emral snarls, rushing forward into the bony grip of the undead, grabbing with his other hand into what he hopes are the clavicle or the ribcage of the child-corpse. He wraps his fingers around whatever mass of bone his hand can find and bears down upon it with his weight, to crush it to the floor. Arms length from the body, he hopes the creature's reach will be that of a child - too short to shove the dagger through his eye socket or into his throat with enough force to kill him.  If he succeeds in the tackle, the Warlock pins the skeleton to the ground with its weapon arm beneath it, then crush its ribcage with his full weight!

Initiative: 2
To Grab: 12
To pull to the ground: 20!

10/09/2018 9:16 pm  #236

Is there any salvage of the lantern? Looking for a way to relight or aid the warlock.

10/09/2018 9:32 pm  #237

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

"No? Then I'll give you reason to fear me!"  Emral snarls, rushing forward into the bony grip of the undead, grabbing with his other hand into what he hopes are the clavicle or the ribcage of the child-corpse. He wraps his fingers around whatever mass of bone his hand can find and bears down upon it with his weight, to crush it to the floor. Arms length from the body, he hopes the creature's reach will be that of a child - too short to shove the dagger through his eye socket or into his throat with enough force to kill him.  If he succeeds in the tackle, the Warlock pins the skeleton to the ground with its weapon arm beneath it, then crush its ribcage with his full weight!

Initiative: 2
To Grab: 12
To pull to the ground: 20!

The unsuspecting skeleton collapses under Emral's weight and you both topple to the hard floor. Before your weight crushes it, it whispers in your ear, "I thought you wanted to talk about what really happened here..."

Then as its charcoal brittle bones snap, its final gasping words tinged in a familiar magical tongue echo through your mind, "Your folly....."

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/09/2018 9:33 pm)

10/09/2018 9:35 pm  #238

achiriaco wrote:

Is there any salvage of the lantern? Looking for a way to relight or aid the warlock.

You move back to the doorway, struggling to see in this pitch black. After a sudden crash, you hear whispers in the dark.

Your hand finds the lamp.

10/09/2018 10:18 pm  #239

Emral add 250 XP for total of 3250.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/09/2018 10:29 pm)

10/09/2018 10:18 pm  #240

Malak add 132 XP bringing total to 1715.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/09/2018 10:44 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.