Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2020 6:02 pm  #2361


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Ooc: still doing move.

Kondor will help barricade the door, but I will have him yell out from behind cover, too.

“Who attacks us like cowards in the dark? What do you mean by this?”

The barbarian's barks are met only with Borea's howls.


 
 

1/27/2020 6:07 pm  #2362


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Holy_Rage wrote:

Igrest sets on to barricading the doorway, allowing Kondor to take the brunt of the work while patching over any holes with debris and pews, seeking to bolster the barricade.

As he huffs and puffs, clearly frail and weary already from his physical toil, he produces a small gold ring with a bright red gem topping it from his belt pouch. He silently puts it on.

The three men slide the nearest pews into place, a rough barricade, but hopefully enough to slow down their attackers. Kondor yells into the wind with his savage's brogue, affording the sorcerer his memory of the ring.
The smooth gold slides easily and engulfs the bony finger. And in a single breath, Igrest's blood runs warm, his winter furs suddenly stifling, a sweat breaking on his inked brow from his heavy layers.


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/28/2020 5:48 pm  #2363


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The Atlantean shudders as the ring is fixed on his finger. He lets out a sigh of oddly-sounding relief, given the circumstance. He allows many of his thick, soot-ridden furs to fall on the debris-ridden ground and stretches his arms, his fiery-coloured robes flowing freely around him.

"At long last; I can now work my Art freely, without the constraints and the fetters of cold and ice alike. A lucky find or an omen of a brighter, Helios-blessed future? Only time will tell."

Igrest redoubles his efforts in barricading the entrance as best as he can. He seems to be more sure-footed than before, with a smirk of confidence forming faintly on his patched, decrepit mouth.

"Kondor, Gundrabu, what is the plan to seeing our offenders falter and their lives extinguished?"

Last edited by Holy_Rage (1/28/2020 5:49 pm)

 

1/28/2020 8:49 pm  #2364


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu’s mustaches droop as he returns the vial of unblessed water to the handle of the dagger.

“Those fiends ruined my plan for the day. I’m afraid there is naught more I can do, other than to be of service to my companions. Kondor, I trust you can use us for whatever projects or explorations thou conductest in this place. I place what remains of my gifts, this day, within thy pleasure. Please instruct me.”


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/28/2020 8:52 pm  #2365


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Suddenly, the faint - muted barks of Gundrabu's team erupt through the wall of thick stone to the left of the raised pulpit.


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/29/2020 9:52 am  #2366


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Once we wake, Kondor will respond to your questions.
The sanctuary is reached by going around the outside of the building and gates. The weather and darkness are both a threat. We have to travel together. Leave the dogs and expect them to die before you return.

Gundrabu looks dourly at the swordsman. “Let’s hope that my animals can deal with our invaders, that you are not a prophet as well as a fighter.” His glance widens to include Igrest. “What now? Do we run to the aid of my companions—and to the witch. I, for one, won’t allow them to face the Night alone.”

Gundrabu runs to the doorway, shoving aside a stacked pew, to give him passage. But he is wary, his shield and dagger clutched in his hands, as he edges outside.


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/29/2020 9:59 am  #2367


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu stops in his tracks outside the door when he sees a small glittering light at the treeline, suspended 3 ft off the ground.

The sorcerer and barbarian have no time to react as shrill howls erupt over head and dark figures descend through the burned out ceiling!

roll initiative!


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/29/2020 4:53 pm  #2368


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[Those folks are crafty!]

D6= 3


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/29/2020 6:09 pm  #2369


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Five creatures drop into the room, two on the south side of the pews, 3 on the north. and two more crawl on the what's left of the wasted rafters, ready to strike.

They foul beasts stand as tall as you but are covered in shaggy umber colored fur. Their faces are fur hedged as baboons except they are disturbingly human, with bright blue eyes, smooth ruddy skin, and pointed ears.

Immediately they issue complex barks to each other and attack with large hardened bones. One of the northern attackers threatens with a long club of bent metal and holds a large shield.


Gundrabu spins on his heels outside the door and watches as a stunned Igrest &  Kondor try to defend themselves against the savage beast men attacking from the north side.

Two of the beasts surround the sorcerer and wail with their bones! 9! and 19!
The bones smash against the unarmored pyromancer!  -3HP & -1HP

The shielded beast approaches the barbarian and swings his length of bent metal.  Swish! as Kondor luckily ducks in time!

The 2 south side attackers close the distance crawling over the pews toward the action.

The 2 clinging in the rafters bark and howl in delight at the sight of the Sorcerer's Blood!


end of surprise round.
state intentions for Round 2
roll initiative.

 


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/29/2020 8:03 pm  #2370


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Awash with blood and horror, the Sorcerer chants softly, his melodious voice at stark contrast with his predicament. His voice is meek and almost lifeless as he tries to bring the incantation to its very end.

[Iniative d6 result = 3. Igrest tries to cast Smoke Cloud centered on himself.]
 

Last edited by Holy_Rage (1/29/2020 8:37 pm)

 

1/29/2020 8:54 pm  #2371


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[When we roll initiative, I’m assuming, it’s one for the whole group, which would be Igrest’s 3. But in case I’m wrong, here’s mine: d6= 1]

“The Kraken crush ye fiends!”

Gundrabu hurls his dagger, ready at hand, at the creature nearest Igrest.

[I believe I’m at the outside edge of 10’. If not, I’m sure you’ll modify my result.]

Phase One
Melee (half move and charge)
Missiles (stationary) d20- 7+2 = 9
Magic (stationary)
Movement (half achieved)
________________________________
Phase Two
Melee (full move and charge)
Missiles (half move, reduced ROF)
Magic (half move)
Movement (half achieved)


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/30/2020 7:45 am  #2372


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[because I don't know who will roll first, I have  all roll, then add the same dice to the enemy -- in this battle so far it's 3d6 vs 3d6.]


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/30/2020 2:36 pm  #2373


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

ooc:  I'm back!  Just in time, too!  Are we still doing one phase at a time, or two phases?

Kondor had his sword drawn already, and wastes no time slashing at the first beast-like man. As the sorcerer is struck he knows he'll need to defend him, giving the Atlantean time to blast the newcomers with fire.

Phase one
Attack 1: 3+3=6
Move: pretty sure he's still next to Igrest.
Phase two
Attack 1: 2+3=5
Attack 2?: 9+3=12

ooc: sigh.

 

1/30/2020 4:57 pm  #2374


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  I'm back!  Just in time, too!  Are we still doing one phase at a time, or two phases?

Kondor had his sword drawn already, and wastes no time slashing at the first beast-like man. As the sorcerer is struck he knows he'll need to defend him, giving the Atlantean time to blast the newcomers with fire.

Phase one
Attack 1: 3+3=6
Move: pretty sure he's still next to Igrest.
Phase two
Attack 1: 2+3=5
Attack 2?: 9+3=12

ooc: sigh.

Kondor only gets 1 attack this round.
so he can attack on phase 1, then 1/2 move on Phase 2
or attack and full move on Phase 2.

 


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/30/2020 5:31 pm  #2375


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  I'm back!  Just in time, too!  Are we still doing one phase at a time, or two phases?

Kondor had his sword drawn already, and wastes no time slashing at the first beast-like man. As the sorcerer is struck he knows he'll need to defend him, giving the Atlantean time to blast the newcomers with fire.

Phase one
Attack 1: 3+3=6
Move: pretty sure he's still next to Igrest.
Phase two
Attack 1: 2+3=5
Attack 2?: 9+3=12

ooc: sigh.

Kondor only gets 1 attack this round.
so he can attack on phase 1, then 1/2 move on Phase 2
or attack and full move on Phase 2.

 

He’s going to attack and then stay with Igrest. I’m happy to reroll the attacks next round if these don’t count, but acknowledge that they are rolls that happened, even if they shouldn’t have been made.

 

1/30/2020 5:43 pm  #2376


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  I'm back!  Just in time, too!  Are we still doing one phase at a time, or two phases?

Kondor had his sword drawn already, and wastes no time slashing at the first beast-like man. As the sorcerer is struck he knows he'll need to defend him, giving the Atlantean time to blast the newcomers with fire.

Phase one
Attack 1: 3+3=6
Move: pretty sure he's still next to Igrest.
Phase two
Attack 1: 2+3=5
Attack 2?: 9+3=12

ooc: sigh.

Kondor only gets 1 attack this round.
so he can attack on phase 1, then 1/2 move on Phase 2
or attack and full move on Phase 2.

 

He’s going to attack and then stay with Igrest. I’m happy to reroll the attacks next round if these don’t count, but acknowledge that they are rolls that happened, even if they shouldn’t have been made.

Haha! yes please re-roll Kondor's single attack now that the actions have been set straight ;) and give me that intitative roll too

 

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/30/2020 8:44 pm)


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/31/2020 1:35 pm  #2377


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Initiative: 5
Attack: 8+3: 11!

 

1/31/2020 1:47 pm  #2378


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

attackers win initiative for round 2 with 11!

Chaos erupts as the party prepares itself! 
The 2 beast men attack the sorcerer as he begins his chant. 2! 3! And luckily Igrest is able to dodge their bones as he recites!

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/31/2020 1:48 pm)


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/31/2020 1:52 pm  #2379


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The shielded beast man strikes the Barbarian with a raging howl bark ! 15! 
And the bent metal stick smashes against the winter furs finding a sweet spot in the studied leather beneath for 4+1 = -5 HP!
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/31/2020 1:55 pm  #2380


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The 2 newcomers vaulting the pews immediately notice the Cleric at the doorway and lunge the 5 ft at him as he aims his dagger! 9! 4! 
Gundrabu manages to knock them aside with his small shield!


 
     Thread Starter
 

Board footera






“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2020 North Wind Adventures, LLC.