Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2020 10:39 pm  #2341


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Arrows fly through the sanctuary's door! 
3 chunk into the first pews showering the sorcerer and barbarian with chips of splintered wood in their hiding place...
and a fourth finds its mark on the Pulpit  -- striking the cleric in the back!
He howls in pain and confusion of the Kraken slithering away before his eyes!

Gundrabu minus 3HP!


 
 

1/20/2020 11:03 pm  #2342


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

State intentions for next round, roll int.


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/21/2020 12:57 am  #2343


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

“The Kraken crush whomever struck me!”

Gundrabu whirls. He takes a half move (15’) towards/into the doorway to the north, to get away from the direct onslaught of the missile fire. There he Heals himself with Cure Light Wounds.

1d6= 4

Phase One
Melee (half move and charge)
Missiles (stationary)
Magic (stationary)
Movement (half achieved) - 15’
________________________________
Phase Two
Melee (full move and charge)
Missiles (half move, reduced ROF)
Magic (half move) Cure Lt Wds
Movement (half achieved)


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/21/2020 12:25 pm  #2344


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor is going to stay behind cover, BUT he's going to see if he can judge the direction of each of those shots. Do they seem to have been shot by one archer, or two different positions (ie: different angles of the shot)?

 

1/21/2020 6:47 pm  #2345


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Igrest moans in relief as the healing energies of the Kimmerian's token wash over his wound and offers a pained word of thanks: "A brave deed, Kimmerian.".

He then starts chanting in a strange tongue, grabs some ash from the ground and hurls it towards the sanctuary's entrance from which the arrows keep flying. The incantation finished, he would then seek cover behind the sturdiest pew around him. [Initiative, 1d6 result: 2] [ OOC: Igrest casts Smoke Cloud, centered at the sanctuary's double doorway. Range 60 ft. A 20x20x20 area is filled with dense cloud of smoke. Max range for ranged attacks is now 10 ft, at -4 to hit. Longer ranges are impossible. Melee within the smoke cloud is also at -4 to hit. Player's Manual (PM), p. 173 ]

Last edited by Holy_Rage (1/21/2020 6:49 pm)

 

1/21/2020 11:05 pm  #2346


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

His prayers unanswered, the cleric dives away from the pulpit toward the safety of the kitchen door while

Kondor waits patiently, counting the seconds, his ears pricked against the howling gale for the sound of a bowstring twang that doesn't come.

And the sorcerer paws through the ice and snow down to the floor for frozen clumps of ash, which he throws into the doorway. And a cloud of smoke develops clinging to the charred beams of the doorway.
[ Igrest add 120 XP ]


then  


as Gundrabu yanks the arrow in his back free and prays over the wound,
[ Gundrabu add 1d8 HP and 80 XP ]

Kondor hears multiple voices yip from the distance of the treeline beyond the razed village, a chorus of guttural high pitched cries.
[ Kondor roll d12 ]

While the sorcerer crawls west and cowers behind the first pew.



END of round 2.
State intentions and roll int for round 3...


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/22/2020 9:54 am  #2347


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

D6- 1
D8- 3


From the kitchen doorway, Gundrabu moves along the north wall to the east, to the wall that contains the doorway wherein a cloud blooms and through which nefarious darts have flown.

“Kraken doesn’t choose I shall imbue any water this day, my friends. The Coils of Its Grasping Intentions doth Twist indeed!”

Gundrabu slips his shield from his shoulder, readies the dagger (which feels so curiously facile in his hand—he’s eager to test it in battle), making sure the haft of his flail is ready on his hip for swift release.

“I suggest we flank the doorway, ready ourselves, in case any of these Night-loving devils choose to slip inside.”

Encumbered, Gundrabu Moves 30’, so, unless anything interrupts him, he should be at or near the northeast corner by the end of the round.

Phase One
Melee (half move and charge)
Missiles (stationary)
Magic (stationary)
Movement (half achieved) 15’
________________________________
Phase Two
Melee (full move and charge)
Missiles (half move, reduced ROF)
Magic (half move)
Movement (half achieved) 15’

Last edited by Eirvit (1/22/2020 10:42 am)


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/23/2020 4:16 pm  #2348


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Igrest nods at Gundrabu, quickly producing a number of darts from his belt and attempts to arrange pews and broken debris in a way to create as much cover as possible from the deadly arrow hail.

"The ululations of the savages are nigh, priest of Chaos Seething. Do we have an escape route deeper unto the sanctum or are we destined to die hither, were we to fail stopping the fierce tide besetting us?"

[OOC: Roll d6 initative result: 2

Question: XP granted includes the +10% XP bonus due to high ability scores or should I add it myself?]

 

1/23/2020 4:23 pm  #2349


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Holy_Rage wrote:

Question: XP granted includes the +10% XP bonus due to high ability scores or should I add it myself?]

you should add it yourself, rounding up.

 


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/23/2020 6:02 pm  #2350


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Holy_Rage wrote:

"The ululations of the savages are nigh, priest of Chaos Seething. Do we have an escape route deeper unto the sanctum or are we destined to die hither, were we to fail stopping the fierce tide besetting us?"?]

“Kondor, what say you? You’re the expert at arms in this crew. My sense of the room, of which doorway I just quitted, is that there’s no escape that way. Seems best to me that, if we must fight it out, we do so here, if these creatures insist on coming through thy foul fog.”


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/24/2020 10:15 am  #2351


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

Holy_Rage wrote:

"The ululations of the savages are nigh, priest of Chaos Seething. Do we have an escape route deeper unto the sanctum or are we destined to die hither, were we to fail stopping the fierce tide besetting us?"?]

“Kondor, what say you? You’re the expert at arms in this crew. My sense of the room, of which doorway I just quitted, is that there’s no escape that way. Seems best to me that, if we must fight it out, we do so here, if these creatures insist on coming through thy foul fog.”

“Of course! We hold the door until they enter, and if needed we fall back to the kitchen. Try to bottleneck at doors.”

Kondor was going to put at least one pew in the doorway, then hold it with his sword skills while the attackers entered.

Ooc: sorry I am in the middle of a move.

 

1/24/2020 8:03 pm  #2352


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Igrest and Gundrabu huddle dagger and darts in hand behind Igrest's hastily built pew blockade.

Kondor manages to move a pew into the doorway, covered in the swirling cloud of smoke.

Heartbeats tick by...silent and arrowless.


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/24/2020 8:03 pm  #2353


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

next round intentions. and initiatives...


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/24/2020 8:28 pm  #2354


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor holds position by the door.

 

1/24/2020 10:09 pm  #2355


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

So Igrest’s smoke is 20’ x 20’. That’s quite a bit of space, but Gundrabu will position himself at its north edge of the smoke, alongside the wall. He holds the dagger impatiently in hand. His ears strain for the slightest sound of something sneaking through the murk.

This is, essentially, a held action to stab any invading enemy.

Last edited by Eirvit (1/24/2020 10:09 pm)


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/25/2020 11:31 am  #2356


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The cloud of smoke struggles to cling together in the open doorway, but the winds from the east blast against it through the opening and the burned out roof. It's becoming patchy and wispy at best as the seconds tick by.

The howling is deafening the esquimeaux, but the vocal yipping seemed to have ceased.


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/26/2020 6:33 pm  #2357


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"We can't just stay here, sooner or later they will swarm in. Let us barricade the door the best we can; how can one lure them savage Picts in here, froth in their mouth without thinking about their safety or tactics?"

Igrest will try to help barricade the entrance as best as possible and as long as the smoke still remains thick and clinging about.

[Iniative d6 result: 1]

 

1/26/2020 9:33 pm  #2358


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The smoke is not long for the doorway, Igrest must work quickly....


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/27/2020 2:31 pm  #2359


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Ooc: still doing move.

Kondor will help barricade the door, but I will have him yell out from behind cover, too.

“Who attacks us like cowards in the dark? What do you mean by this?”

 

1/27/2020 4:01 pm  #2360


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Igrest sets on to barricading the doorway, allowing Kondor to take the brunt of the work while patching over any holes with debris and pews, seeking to bolster the barricade.

As he huffs and puffs, clearly frail and weary already from his physical toil, he produces a small gold ring with a bright red gem topping it from his belt pouch. He silently puts it on.

 

Board footera






“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2020 North Wind Adventures, LLC.