Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2020 8:32 pm  #2321


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Holy_Rage wrote:

"Foul curses! We have archers coming from the cemetary!", the sorcerer hisses as he retreats immediately, trying to reach the space behind Kondor the Swordsman.

"Priest, we are under attack! I am hit!", he gasps as an arrow is seen protruding from his torso, blood gushing freely down his dirty, soot-covered furs. Here and there, patches of his fiery robes have become blood red and soaked.

In the midst of his ritual, Gundrabu tries his best to ignore the frantic Atlantean. Around him, the shadows press in thick, shifting and bulging when—by the light—they should not be. In the darkest, highest parts of the sanctuary, something like a great black body stirs; languid appendages burst black bubbles into disintegrating smaller ones that are reminiscent of air pockets in water.

Gundrabu grits his teeth. “Molest me not! The ritual is not yet complete!”

The shadows above recede. Gundrabu fingers the arms of his holy symbol to summon them back. “Kondor, barricade the door! Try to keep back the attack. I am not. Quite. Done!”

Last edited by Eirvit (1/16/2020 8:33 pm)


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/16/2020 8:56 pm  #2322


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[Of course, for dramatic purposes, I’m assuming Gundrabu has yet to complete the ritual. But that’s up to you, Ref! Feel free to let us know how much time—if any—Gundrabu has left.]


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/16/2020 9:20 pm  #2323


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[ Love it! Gundrabu has it exactly right! Feel free to do whatever you'd like people, and if we need to undo it or slow it down...we will! ]


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/16/2020 9:22 pm  #2324


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

And here's the map again, Igrest has battle confusion!  North is to the right!

https://i.imgur.com/GIBMiaU.png


 


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/16/2020 10:03 pm  #2325


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

And I forgot to describe the place

The rusted hinges on the door are snapped in half and the doors lay in the doorway.

Seven pews blackened with soot are centered in the 40x40 ft room. One missing pew looks as if it was ripped from the floor. Burned remnants of holy books and wet clumps of loose papers litter the floor. The heavily damaged ceiling allows the heavy snow and cold wind in.

A raised pulpit makes up the center of the far wall. It's flanked by a burned out doorway on the right and on the left by a melted harp.

Gundrabu kneels in the pulpit.
Kondor was last standing nearby.
Igrest just took an arrow in the main doorway.
A writhing darkness has begun to form above.


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/18/2020 8:07 pm  #2326


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

And I forgot to describe the place

The rusted hinges on the door are snapped in half and the doors lay in the doorway.

Seven pews blackened with soot are centered in the 40x40 ft room. One missing pew looks as if it was ripped from the floor. Burned remnants of holy books and wet clumps of loose papers litter the floor. The heavily damaged ceiling allows the heavy snow and cold wind in.

A raised pulpit makes up the center of the far wall. It's flanked by a burned out doorway on the right and on the left by a melted harp.

Gundrabu kneels in the pulpit.
Kondor was last standing nearby.
Igrest just took an arrow in the main doorway.
A writhing darkness has begun to form above.

ooc:  Can Kondor respond to the arrow striking Igrest? He's on watch, so I'm assuming yes.  But does Kondor see the black mist?
Also: did the harp get put back in its spot? I don't remember, but we did move it around a bit.

KONDOR leaps away from his post to reach Igrest in a moment, pulling him to the side (left?) of the doorway, out of the way of whatever archer was sniping at them.
"Stay back! It could be more picts like those we'd left hanging," Kondor grunts.  "We must hold the doorway. Pull these pews across the door, in case they try to enter. Block the first one, then stack the rest atop it to give us some cover!"

(if he can do this, Kondor's going to start dragging the nearest pew over, shoving it across the doorway. However, he's going to stay to the side so he can't just get shot by arrows.)

 

1/18/2020 10:28 pm  #2327


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

And I forgot to describe the place

The rusted hinges on the door are snapped in half and the doors lay in the doorway.

Seven pews blackened with soot are centered in the 40x40 ft room. One missing pew looks as if it was ripped from the floor. Burned remnants of holy books and wet clumps of loose papers litter the floor. The heavily damaged ceiling allows the heavy snow and cold wind in.

A raised pulpit makes up the center of the far wall. It's flanked by a burned out doorway on the right and on the left by a melted harp.

Gundrabu kneels in the pulpit.
Kondor was last standing nearby.
Igrest just took an arrow in the main doorway.
A writhing darkness has begun to form above.

ooc:  Can Kondor respond to the arrow striking Igrest? He's on watch, so I'm assuming yes.  But does Kondor see the black mist?
Also: did the harp get put back in its spot? I don't remember, but we did move it around a bit.

KONDOR leaps away from his post to reach Igrest in a moment, pulling him to the side (left?) of the doorway, out of the way of whatever archer was sniping at them.
"Stay back! It could be more picts like those we'd left hanging," Kondor grunts.  "We must hold the doorway. Pull these pews across the door, in case they try to enter. Block the first one, then stack the rest atop it to give us some cover!"

(if he can do this, Kondor's going to start dragging the nearest pew over, shoving it across the doorway. However, he's going to stay to the side so he can't just get shot by arrows.)

The harp is in the same place he first saw it with Sol. He is keen so he does notice some remnants of drag marks in the snow and frozen sleet covering the floor,  even in this heavy excitement.

Kondor can move to pull Igrest from the open doorway in this phase only.

Kondor is unaware of the swirling darkness.

All State intentions and roll initiative.


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/19/2020 11:34 am  #2328


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor can move to pull Igrest from the open doorway in this phase only.

That is what he shall do!

Initiative d6: 5!  That's before modifiers.

 

1/19/2020 11:50 am  #2329


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor can move to pull Igrest from the open doorway in this phase only.

That is what he shall do!

Initiative d6: 5!  That's before modifiers.

Kondor already pulled the wounded sorcerer from opening.

Does he still want to move pews?
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/19/2020 6:26 pm  #2330


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Igrest moans and allows the Swordsman to drag him to the relative safety of the temple's inner reaches. Once there, he casts a spell upon Kondor, a fiery ring of flame appearing over the Swordsman."Slay them, Kondor, Pict scum deserve to lie cold and frozen in death's clutch!", he hisses. [ OOC: Igrest casts Sorcerous Armor on Kondor (player's manual, p. 174) ] [d6 roll : 1]

 

1/19/2020 6:37 pm  #2331


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

And Gundrabu, one eye on the conditions of his companions at all times, maintains his ritual for Bless Water—ideally until completion.

But he will break it if his companions need assistance—Healing or help in melee. [I’ll make this choice based on what Gundrabu witnesses in the next few rounds.]


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/19/2020 8:48 pm  #2332


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor will grab the pew only if the sorcerer is safe, and the path he takes is away from the angle if the shot. otherwise he will bide his time.

 

1/19/2020 11:25 pm  #2333


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

And Gundrabu, one eye on the conditions of his companions at all times, maintains his ritual for Bless Water—ideally until completion.

But he will break it if his companions need assistance—Healing or help in melee. [I’ll make this choice based on what Gundrabu witnesses in the next few rounds.]

Gundrabu's full attention is rapt upon the tentacles!


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/19/2020 11:29 pm  #2334


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor will grab the pew only if the sorcerer is safe, and the path he takes is away from the angle if the shot. otherwise he will bide his time.

The sorcerer is badly wounded. and just inside the doorway on the north. Kondor may be able to wrench that northeastern pew free but moving it to the doorway quite possibly puts him in a line of sight...

but Gundrabu is muttering to the sky up upon the Pulpit with his back turned to the open doorway!

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/19/2020 11:30 pm)


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/20/2020 9:26 am  #2335


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor will grab the pew only if the sorcerer is safe, and the path he takes is away from the angle if the shot. otherwise he will bide his time.

The sorcerer is badly wounded. and just inside the doorway on the north. Kondor may be able to wrench that northeastern pew free but moving it to the doorway quite possibly puts him in a line of sight...

but Gundrabu is muttering to the sky up upon the Pulpit with his back turned to the open doorway!

Kondor will attend a wounded companion first.

He will use the Jackalope paw on the sorcerers wound.

 

1/20/2020 9:39 am  #2336


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor will attend a wounded companion first.

He will use the Jackalope paw on the sorcerers wound.

[Kondor roll d6.]


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/20/2020 11:59 am  #2337


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor will attend a wounded companion first.

He will use the Jackalope paw on the sorcerers wound.

[Kondor roll d6.]

3!

 

1/20/2020 12:04 pm  #2338


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

With almost surgical precision and a training that only comes from being reared on the cleaning and dressing of the hunted, the barbarian extracts the arrow. Quickly he applies Malak's severed harefoot to the pulsing wound. The blood immediately subsides and, with only the slightest of pressure from Kondor’s practiced fingers, the punctured skin binds together and seals! [ Igrest +2 HP ]


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/20/2020 10:14 pm  #2339


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

With almost surgical precision and a training that only comes from being reared on the cleaning and dressing of the hunted, the barbarian extracts the arrow. Quickly he applies Malak's severed harefoot to the pulsing wound. The blood immediately subsides and, with only the slightest of pressure from Kondor’s practiced fingers, the punctured skin binds together and seals! [ Igrest +2 HP ]

Kondor is back on alert as soon as the miracle paw does its work.

 

1/20/2020 10:28 pm  #2340


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

“Constricting Khalk-xu! Grasp the groping soul of this, Thy servant. Send forth Thine Foetid Fumes of Primordial Seas and imbue this fluid with Thy Super-dimensional Semblance.”


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

Board footera





“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2019 North Wind Adventures, LLC.