!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2020 4:00 pm  #2261

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"It's far too cold to venture out yet again and so soon," she shivers, knocking some the snow and ice from her bearskin. " I will read my leaves here by the warmth of your firewood....daylight remains far off."

1/08/2020 4:09 pm  #2262

“Tomorrow, then,” says Gundrabu. He squats by the fire with a small wooden trough from the sled. He splashes water from his skin into it. “Here, pups!”

After his dogs drink that, he tosses each of them a few bites of venison. He ensures his torch and lantern is extinguished, to conserve fuel.

“Wake me for my watch,” he says, then wraps himself in his fur coat for a snooze by the fire with his dogs.

Last edited by Eirvit (1/08/2020 4:10 pm)

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/09/2020 5:25 am  #2263

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor shows the map. “I know not of his order, but he mentioned the name Ur-Varlock and wore the tattoo sigils you can see upon his skin. Sol and I arrived too late to help him, and he was dead. I wonder if the dead traveler you found was another adventurer we heard had come here, a brigand named Malak? He would have been there when Emral died of, I believe, poison. Emral was tied with his own whip after death, when we arrived. His corpse reanimated and nearly killed us, before the two of us took it down.

"There is wisdom in waiting for another dawn, pale and sickly as it might be.", the albino offers absently to Gundrabu, his eyes already on Emral's corpse and the sigils branded on it. "Ur-Varlock"... , the sorcerer keeps musing and peers at the map upon length. "The dead traveller outside could well have been Malak; after all the dagger gifted to the Kraken's own was envenomed and nearly undid me. His purpose here would have been sinister, no doubt and Emral was unlucky to have found out first-hand.", he nods firmly at Kondor.

A mere nod of sympathy is offered to Sol, the archer. "A besieged mind is one that cannot afford to deal with the realities of speech and conversation alike. Let him be, in time he might be pulled away from his own struggles.".

Igrest would also gather the books strewn on the floor, arrays them neatly around a small spot by the fire, much like a scholar would and checks the upturned flagstones with the three openings.

"I will take last watch...", he mutters, letting himself be warmed by the fire and spending a good amount of time poring over book and map alike. A fair amount of time is also spent on the Manual for Quickness. The albino mouths word after word silently, utterly focused on his research.

[OOC: Main focus of his research would be Emral's map, the Manual for Quickness, the sigils on Emral and the name "Ur-Varlock", and finally the books found in this chamber.]

1/09/2020 7:37 am  #2264

[OOC: Igrest's description

A young man clad in red robes, trimmed orange and yellow, from which hang various trinkets made of brass and charred lumps of unidentifiable black metal. He is tall and rather lanky, with a terribly pallid, almost milk white skin, deeply sunken eyes with a sickly golden hue and bears terrible burn marks all over his hands, palms and good parts of his face. His blond hair is long and unkempt. A blood-red tattoo adorns his brow, with a majestic Sun dominating over mountain, hill and sea alike.]

1/09/2020 12:52 pm  #2265

Kondor watches them, especially those near Emral's body.  "I'll need to move him respectfully. I'll not have dogs eating him, or wolves. We've been busy, but now that you're here..."

He moves Emral's body back to the broken bed, putting the mattress back down first. He covers it as well as he can with Emral's cloak, then stands watch over it so the dogs keep back.  After some hours he wakes The cleric, and does his best to settle down and rest. That is, if sleep will come to him.

1/09/2020 4:25 pm  #2266

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor watches them, especially those near Emral's body.  "I'll need to move him respectfully. I'll not have dogs eating him, or wolves. We've been busy, but now that you're here..."

He moves Emral's body back to the broken bed, putting the mattress back down first. He covers it as well as he can with Emral's cloak, then stands watch over it so the dogs keep back.  After some hours he wakes The cleric, and does his best to settle down and rest. That is, if sleep will come to him.

Kondor watches as  one by one the dogs, then the weary travelers fall into deep slumber. Eventually, Tetranna pushes her crushed leaves away in disgust and lays herself down too. But the Barbarian having recently slept, and distrustful of the stranger sorcerer never allows his mind to rest. 

The hanging men sway on their rope, the soft creaking falling into rhythm with snoring of the Ixian. He listens carefully for the cry of wolf, and keeps a fitful eye on the door to the unknown but omened depths below...

The long darkness continues and sick Helios never rises before the Gundrabu wakes, asking for his watch. Sense of time has gotten away from all.

1/09/2020 4:31 pm  #2267

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor watches as  one by one the dogs, then the weary travelers fall into deep slumber. Eventually, Tetranna pushes her crushed leaves away in disgust and lays herself down too. But the Barbarian having recently slept, and distrustful of the stranger sorcerer never allows his mind to rest. 

The hanging men sway on their rope, the soft creaking falling into rhythm with snoring of the Ixian. He listens carefully for the cry of wolf, and keeps a fitful eye on the door to the unknown but omened depths below...

The long darkness continues and sick Helios never rises before the Gundrabu wakes, asking for his watch. Sense of time has gotten away from all.

Kondor nods, then pulls his hood up and curls up on his pack, back against the wall across from the covered outside door, at the feet of the mattress where Emral had been laid. His sword is on his lap, and the thought of beheading the pict corpses when the others wake comes to him - best to ensure their continued inanimation, than risk leaving them at their backs if the group are weakened by battle. The barbarian will wait until the others rise, to not waste their sleep. But then....*

1/09/2020 4:46 pm  #2268

Gundrabu doesn’t do much of significance, merely praying a Dimensional Deliverance on each coil of his holy symbol until his watch is ended.

His dogs sometimes whimper in their sleep. While he prays, Gundrabu watches the suspended, slowly rotating heels of the corpses. When the fire ebbs, he feeds it another stick, ensuring there always remains a bed of hot, glowing coals.

He prays again for Cure Light Wds and Bless Oil/Water.

1/10/2020 9:26 am  #2269

Ooc: Does Gundbrau look like your profile pic?

1/10/2020 9:31 am  #2270

fireinthedust wrote:

Ooc: Does Gundbrau look like your profile pic?

It’s approximate enough. I think the real Gundrabu isn’t as handsome.

Gundrabu's portly husky form is made all the larger by a fur jacket with a hood. From the midst of the hood peers a deeply scarred and furrowed brown face with narrow, black eyes. A scraggly long black mustache and beard, rimmed with condensation from his exhalations, dribble out of it, as well.

1/10/2020 4:13 pm  #2271

"Φωτιά, λάβα, μάγμα, καπνός... πυρ και όλεθρος."... the sorcerer mutters for hours in an incomprehensible, yet slightly melodious language, poring over his spellbook as well as the various tomes & map gathered over the evening. The soft crackling of the stoked fire, the rythmical creaking of wood and rope alike from which the corpses dangle, the howling gale biting deep in the Shankhills, the angry murmurs of Tetranna and the bass, yet low-kept prayers of the Clutcher's adept register in his senses, but his focus is utter.

After a few hours of research, the young man falls asleep, only to wake up after Gundrabu's watch, just in time to watch a sickly, hateful Helios break dawn and bask the Sanctuary in a hellish, pale red glow.

[OOC: the language is Hellenic (Atlantean dialect) ]

Last edited by Holy_Rage (1/10/2020 4:14 pm)

1/10/2020 10:46 pm  #2272

Holy_Rage wrote:

"Φωτιά, λάβα, μάγμα, καπνός... πυρ και όλεθρος."... the sorcerer mutters for hours in an incomprehensible, yet slightly melodious language, poring over his spellbook as well as the various tomes & map gathered over the evening. The soft crackling of the stoked fire, the rythmical creaking of wood and rope alike from which the corpses dangle, the howling gale biting deep in the Shankhills, the angry murmurs of Tetranna and the bass, yet low-kept prayers of the Clutcher's adept register in his senses, but his focus is utter.

After a few hours of research, the young man falls asleep, only to wake up after Gundrabu's watch, just in time to watch a sickly, hateful Helios break dawn and bask the Sanctuary in a hellish, pale red glow.

[OOC: the language is Hellenic (Atlantean dialect) ]

Igrest does wake, but Helios is far from rising when he does. Confused he looks to the books and tomes in his lap.
He recalls his spells...He gleaned much of the art of dexterity...he learned a favorite hymn from the burned hymnals of the room...
And he remembers that Emral mapped a lower level of the church....

1/11/2020 1:57 pm  #2273

[So do we all wake up, in the dark, hours before the three-hour daylight? If so, I memorize Cure Lt Wds and Bless Water. I ask the group to join me in the sanctuary for an attempt at making holy water. My dogs I will order to remain in the room, with the freedom to attack anyone, not us, who enters in our absence.]

1/11/2020 3:07 pm  #2274

Once we wake, Kondor will respond to your questions.
The sanctuary is reached by going around the outside of the building and gates. The weather and darkness are both a threat. We have to travel together. Leave the dogs and expect them to die before you return.

1/11/2020 3:25 pm  #2275

fireinthedust wrote:

Leave the dogs and expect them to die before you return.

[Ha ha ha! Oh, believe me, I’ve already expected it! I’ve read enough of this game to expect it! 😂]

1/11/2020 5:37 pm  #2276

The mutterings of Gundrabu’s prayers and  Igrest ‘s Atlantean magical madness stir Tetranna. The plan falls sour on her, “Risk life and limb for a few drops of water of the sea? I care not. You protect them barbarian. I’ll stay by the fire with these mangy mutts and your hanging cadavers here in safety, and should Sol return from wherever he’s skipped away to, I’ll mention where he can find you. “

1/11/2020 5:51 pm  #2277

Iron Ranger wrote:

The mutterings of Gundrabu’s prayers and  Igrest ‘s Atlantean magical madness stir Tetranna. The plan falls sour on her, “Risk life and limb for a few drops of water of the sea? I care not. You protect them barbarian. I’ll stay by the fire with these mangy mutts and your hanging cadavers here in safety, and should Sol return from wherever he’s skipped away to, I’ll mention where he can find you. “

Gundrabu nods to the shaman. “I thank you, Tetranna, but I believe you are mistaken in devaluing my purpose. You shall soon see the benefit that comes from the Dark Depths of Kraken’s Super-dimensional Sea.”

Then, if Igrest and Kondor are agreeable to the task, we three make our way out of doors, north through the gates of the graveyard, east to the northeast corner of the sanctuary, then south along the wall to gain the entryway in the south face.

It should be a quick errand with no hitches! 😁

1/11/2020 8:58 pm  #2278

Tetranna nods absently at the cleric, then goes about taking another of his firewood and poking it into the dwindling flame, patiently waiting for the new motley crew to depart...

[ fyi - Helios will eventually rise on the sanctuary's narthex and set on its burial grounds. Emral often drew his rose incorrectly. ]

1/11/2020 9:24 pm  #2279

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

The mutterings of Gundrabu’s prayers and Igrest ‘s Atlantean magical madness stir Tetranna. The plan falls sour on her, “Risk life and limb for a few drops of water of the sea? I care not. You protect them barbarian. I’ll stay by the fire with these mangy mutts and your hanging cadavers here in safety, and should Sol return from wherever he’s skipped away to, I’ll mention where he can find you. “

Gundrabu nods to the shaman. “I thank you, Tetranna, but I believe you are mistaken in devaluing my purpose. You shall soon see the benefit that comes from the Dark Depths of Kraken’s Super-dimensional Sea.”

Then, if Igrest and Kondor are agreeable to the task, we three make our way out of doors, north through the gates of the graveyard, east to the northeast corner of the sanctuary, then south along the wall to gain the entryway in the south face.

Kondor frowns at Tetranna.  "Come with us. We should stay together. All of us, and the dogs. Alone we are vulnerable. If the Esquimaux can do something to strangthen himself or weaken our foes, it is a worthy delay. Come with us."

ooc: Unless the GM wants to stop bothering with the NPC, just saying.

1/11/2020 9:50 pm  #2280

fireinthedust wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

The mutterings of Gundrabu’s prayers and Igrest ‘s Atlantean magical madness stir Tetranna. The plan falls sour on her, “Risk life and limb for a few drops of water of the sea? I care not. You protect them barbarian. I’ll stay by the fire with these mangy mutts and your hanging cadavers here in safety, and should Sol return from wherever he’s skipped away to, I’ll mention where he can find you. “

Kondor frowns at Tetranna.  "Come with us. We should stay together. All of us, and the dogs. Alone we are vulnerable. If the Esquimaux can do something to strangthen himself or weaken our foes, it is a worthy delay. Come with us."

ooc: Unless the GM wants to stop bothering with the NPC, just saying.

The Ixian woman smiles broadly, and whispers, "We'll just keep this momentary bout of ... trepidation ... betwixt us, eh, Barbarian? The leaves are in your favor."

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.