!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2020 10:50 am  #2241

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Observing these grizzly signs, a hand of Gundrabu’s unconsciously rises to his chest, where it grasps the knotted bit of driftwood, its shape suggestive of an octopod, on a thong of sealskin circling his neck.

“Hm, wait here a bit, my lads,” Gundrabu says to his dogs. He is relieved that they are showing no sign of sensing eldritch death—at least not at this moment.

Gundrabu recites the Eight Dimensional Digressions on his holy symbol while he waits for the others to join.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/07/2020 4:57 pm  #2242

Igrest does not offer any further commentary to the Ixian woman and once the Paralyser is stowed away, he follows Gundrabu in the open courtyard of the church. His eyes fall on the defiled graves and the scene of carnage slowly unfolding before them.

His wretched mouth curls into a snarling frown. "May Helios have mercy upon their cursed souls.", the mellow words in sharp contrast with his facial expression. He eyes the belfry ahead, but first parts the tent with his gaunt arm and peers inside the charred door frame.

1/07/2020 8:28 pm  #2243

Kondor leads the others to the campsite. On the way he acts a very brusk tour guide.

"Don't touch the belltower there, or you'll bring the dead. Don't touch that body" points at Emral, "he's my friend whom I avenge. The bodies in the black robes are just undead priests, probably from those graves, so whatever. Those bodies hanging from the ceiling there we haven't cut down, but they have yet to be animated to kill us. Also there is gold hidden upon the roof, too noisy to move, not enough wealth to bother moving, and of no use in battle. And that rope is the only way to get to it without sorcery, so another reason not to cut it. When we've ended the curse we'll bury them all. Emral was honorable that way, despite being a fire warlock, and he would have wanted it."

He points to the door inside the room.  "That is the entrance to the cursed place, we believe, where we'll do battle. The tight staircase has the smell of brine and rot, but we came back up when we heard your dogs outside. That's... pretty much everything I know. Any questions?"

1/07/2020 8:33 pm  #2244

ooc: before I forget, WELCOME NEW PLAYERS!  Huzzah!  If you've read the thread you get how glad I am that we have help.  Kondor is a brusk type, but as a person I'm not, so welcome!

1/07/2020 8:47 pm  #2245

While Kondor gives the tour, Gundrabu unhitches his dogs, allowing them to walk with freedom into the structure. Then he lifts the front of the sled and drags it, himself, through the doorway into the chamber [if that is allowed]. “Thank you for your ready information, swordsman. I expect I have many questions. My first is this: where might I find the actual sanctuary, the meeting hall of this church? I used up Kraken’s Ocean Dew on the Plain of Leng, and I seek to bless some more. I have the measure of water here in my skin, but I must perform the ritual on holy ground.”

Then he turns to the sorcerer, Igrest. “And I thank you for the gift of this blade, but I have questions for you, as well. This item is remarkably curious, and you mentioned how it might be cursed. Well, I hope to store holy water in the now-empty vial in the handle. Might there be some reason why I shouldn’t do that? Did the vial contain poison, and did it somehow wick up to saturate the blade?”

Ooc: Thanks for the welcome! I’m certainly enjoying being here! And thank you, Ref! I’ve speed-red most of this, and it’s certainly an immersive and evocative scenario.

1/07/2020 9:04 pm  #2246

Eirvit wrote:

While Kondor gives the tour, Gundrabu unhitches his dogs, allowing them to walk with freedom into the structure. Then he lifts the front of the sled and drags it, himself, through the doorway into the chamber [if that is allowed]. “Thank you for your ready information, swordsman. I expect I have many questions. My first is this: where might I find the actual sanctuary, the meeting hall of this church? I used up Kraken’s Ocean Dew on the Plain of Leng, and I seek to bless some more. I have the measure of water here in my skin, but I must perform the ritual on holy ground.”

Then he turns to the sorcerer, Igrest. “And I thank you for the gift of this blade, but I have questions for you, as well. This item is remarkably curious, and you mentioned how it might be cursed. Well, I hope to store holy water in the now-empty vial in the handle. Might there be some reason why I shouldn’t do that? Did the vial contain poison, and did it somehow wick up to saturate the blade?”

Ooc: Thanks for the welcome! I’m certainly enjoying being here! And thank you, Ref! I’ve speed-red most of this, and it’s certainly an immersive and evocative scenario.

Gundrabu takes note of the courtyard as he does this.

A 20 ft by 20 ft courtyard is encircled on 3 sides by the stone church. Two high windows are broken out on the left. Glass shards poke up through the fresh snow fall on the ground beneath. A shovel lays in the snow nearby.
To the right, a burned out door hangs open on its hinges, the dark space within covered by a makeshift tent.
Ahead in the right corner is erected a forty foot wooden belltower. There is a large oxidized copper bell hung from the top beam reflecting light from the sled's lantern.

And littered on the ground are a dozen wolf carcasses burned and bloody, several black robed rotted men, and a fallen fire mage.

1/07/2020 9:11 pm  #2247

Holy_Rage wrote:

Igrest does not offer any further commentary to the Ixian woman and once the Paralyser is stowed away, he follows Gundrabu in the open courtyard of the church. His eyes fall on the defiled graves and the scene of carnage slowly unfolding before them.

His wretched mouth curls into a snarling frown. "May Helios have mercy upon their cursed souls.", the mellow words in sharp contrast with his facial expression. He eyes the belfry ahead, but first parts the tent with his gaunt arm and peers inside the charred door frame.

Igrest holds his palm Candle forward peering into the burned out doorway's flapping tent as the barbarian gives his spiel...

There are 2 dead bodies suspended by a thick rope through the broken out hole in the ceiling, one hanging at around 6 ft. and the other above at 12 ft.
A few arrows and a broken sword lay in a pile beneath the bodies.

A pile of wolf carcasses has been dragged to the southern wall.

Books are stacked on the floor along the walls. There's an overturned mattress on the floor on your right hand side, revealing 3 cavities in the flagstones.
At its foot an overturned copper bowl and several sticks of incense.

The room smells of flowers, although you detect the aroma of brine leaking in from the opened doorway to the east.

1/07/2020 9:13 pm  #2248

OODM: And yes! Superthanks to the new players! So so glad to have you join the game!

1/08/2020 12:07 am  #2249

Kondor shakes his head.  “This place has been cursed, the sanctuary the site of murder. A massacre. We found the bones of children in the hall where we entered. Until the curse is lifted, you will find nothing sacred here.”

1/08/2020 1:15 am  #2250

"Show him Emral's map, you brute fool," snaps Tetranna. "The man must appease his god."

1/08/2020 9:59 am  #2251

Gundrabu looks at Tetranna with sudden, new-found interest. “I thank you,” he says.

“Swordsman,” he says to Kondor. “I understand how you might perceive such things, but holy ground, once blessed, does not lightly return to mere earth—or even become, as you say, cursed.”

Still, Gundrabu is uncertain. It may be that the sanctuary is defiled and that Kraken’s blessing are unable, now, to penetrate from where It resides in the Super-dimension to this mere bubble of reality. It used to be It could send Tentacles through any holy site—areas wherein dimensional walls are naturally thin—or Sea, whence most ensouled life on this disc arose.

[I’m not certain about time. I have a sense that it’s early “night,” that I should sleep soon. But my intention is to get to the sanctuary and try my spell before watering and feeding my dogs and bedding down for the night.

[If Kondor shows me the map, I have it: I swiped the most complete version from an earlier post.]

1/08/2020 10:27 am  #2252

fireinthedust wrote:

He [Kondor] points to the door inside the room.  "That is the entrance to the cursed place, we believe, where we'll do battle. The tight staircase has the smell of brine and rot, but we came back up when we heard your dogs outside. That's... pretty much everything I know. Any questions?"

Igrest peers at the corpse of Emral with renewed interest, focusing again on the grisly whereabouts. "A fire warlock was your friend Emral, you say? As a Fire Disciple myself, I would aid your cause, man of the Blade, so your vengeance may be complete. You speak of children dead and other profanities. Know you exactly what horrid deed transpired here?"

Eirvit wrote:

Then he [Gundarbu] turns to the sorcerer, Igrest. “And I thank you for the gift of this blade, but I have questions for you, as well. This item is remarkably curious, and you mentioned how it might be cursed. Well, I hope to store holy water in the now-empty vial in the handle. Might there be some reason why I shouldn’t do that? Did the vial contain poison, and did it somehow wick up to saturate the blade?”

"What you saw before your very eyes transpire is what I know of the blade itself, servant of Khalk-Xu. The vial contained cold poison; it wracked my body and were it not for your assistance, I would have surely perished. Such is my gift of it to you; it was carried by the hapless traveller's corpse blocking the path to the Sanctuary. More I know not."

Igrest pauses for a moment, deep in thought. "Before you try invoking your god's name, I would be most prudent, Gundarbu. We must discover more of the eldritch visitation reigning here before attempting anything else. Lest we be consumed by powers stirring that we know nothing of. Stay your hand and your tongue; the Kraken is not renowned for its mercy. I saw some books earlier in the chamber where the rotting corpses still dangle; as well as three flagstones bearing opening. If there is knowledge to glean and wisdom to partake into, let us start from there."

A last gaze is spared at Tetranna, but words are addressed to Kondor specifically. "Your friend, the fire mage Emral had a map in his possession? If we are of the same Order, perhaps I could be of assistance there too."

OOC: Thank you all for a fantastic welcome and some excellent quality posting! This game rocks, keep it up guys!

Last edited by Holy_Rage (1/08/2020 10:28 am)

1/08/2020 11:51 am  #2253

Iron Ranger wrote:

"Show him Emral's map, you brute fool," snaps Tetranna. "The man must appease his god."

“Silence! No one calls me fool! For even I know that one religions sacred site is not equal to priests of another. He would need to sanctify a desecrated location, and appease both his kraken and whatever the temple is currently claimed by.”

He thinks a beat, then, “But would this start a fight in the hall with the source of the curse? We would be on our terms, not walking into the unknown trap below. What do you say, cleric?”

1/08/2020 11:55 am  #2254

Tetranna raises an eyebrow and sneers. Then sits on the overturned mattress with her back turned to the barbarian, withdraws from her bearskin and a leaf and begins to crush it in her palm...

"At least close the damned door, Kondor, the stench of dead fish below turns my stomach even more than your own..." 

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/08/2020 12:01 pm)

1/08/2020 12:03 pm  #2255

Kondor shows the map.  “I know not of his order, but he mentioned the name Ur-Varlock and wore the tattoo sigils you can see upon his skin.  Sol and I arrived too late to help him, and he was dead. I wonder if the dead traveler you found was another adventurer we heard had come here, a brigand named Malak? He would have been there when Emral died of, I believe, poison. Emral was tied with his own whip after death, when we arrived. His corpse reanimated and nearly killed us, before the two of us took it down. The spirit told us that there was something or someone who is held below, but what he meant we’re not sure. The doorway is the last place unexplored. If you are going to the hall I will join you, if it means you will help us with avenging Emral and the people of the village murdered when the temple was set to burn and the children sealed inside.”

1/08/2020 12:16 pm  #2256

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

“Silence! No one calls me fool! For even I know that one religions sacred site is not equal to priests of another. He would need to sanctify a desecrated location, and appease both his kraken and whatever the temple is currently claimed by.”

He thinks a beat, then, “But would this start a fight in the hall with the source of the curse? We would be on our terms, not walking into the unknown trap below. What do you say, cleric?”

Gundrabu strokes his oily black mustaches. “This is my thinking. I understand how your muscle-bound mind is likely to conflate Evil with the reality of impersonal Chaos. I think that, unless whatever has claimed this place is attempting to Order reality into a certain conception, the earth shall serve as a conduit for my gift.” Still, he is uncertain.

“And as for descending into the witch’s favorite smell,” he continues, “if my spell in the sanctuary proves successful, I will have blessed water for our purposes. I suggest we try it.”

1/08/2020 12:17 pm  #2257

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor shows the map. “I know not of his order, but he mentioned the name Ur-Varlock and wore the tattoo sigils you can see upon his skin. Sol and I arrived too late to help him, and he was dead. I wonder if the dead traveler you found was another adventurer we heard had come here, a brigand named Malak? He would have been there when Emral died of, I believe, poison. Emral was tied with his own whip after death, when we arrived. His corpse reanimated and nearly killed us, before the two of us took it down. The spirit told us that there was something or someone who is held below, but what he meant we’re not sure. The doorway is the last place unexplored. If you are going to the hall I will join you, if it means you will help us with avenging Emral and the people of the village murdered when the temple was set to burn and the children sealed inside.”

“Sol?” interrupts Gundrabu. He looks around. “Is there another here, or is this one, too, deceased?”

1/08/2020 2:19 pm  #2258

Eirvit wrote:

“Sol?” interrupts Gundrabu. He looks around. “Is there another here, or is this one, too, deceased?”

Kondor points to the Montebank archer, who has been silent this entire time.

ooc:  Sorry, he's another player whose joining the game inspired me to start up after Emral died. Nice guy. Might be very busy in RL, so he's kind of faded into the background until he's ready to rejoin, iirc.

1/08/2020 3:39 pm  #2259

fireinthedust wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Kondor points to the Montebank archer, who has been silent this entire time.

ooc:  Sorry, he's another player whose joining the game inspired me to start up after Emral died. Nice guy. Might be very busy in RL, so he's kind of faded into the background until he's ready to rejoin, iirc.

The cleric turns, but the dark, shadowy corner into which Kondor points is empty...

1/08/2020 3:49 pm  #2260

[Ha ha!]

Gundrabu squints suspiciously back at Kondor, but he chooses not to say anything. He has known men to go mad, isolated and under great stress to survive, on the Plain of Leng.

“Right, so I’d like to try the sanctuary before I lose Kraken’s blessing for the day. Will you guide me, Kondor? Will you join us, Igrest? How about you, Shamaness?”

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.