Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/10/2019 7:19 am  #2061


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

The creature is bipedal, wears flat-bottomed shoes. is  maybe 100 lbs., slight left leaning limp from wound or heavy load.

“I think it’s Malak. He’s an archer, I think, so we should figure out if he’s turned undead like Emral, or he might pepper us with arrows while we investigate the bell tower.”

Kondor and Sol follow the tracks.

 

11/10/2019 9:46 am  #2062


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The tracks lead both up  and down the Belfry.  And  through the courtyard to and from the cemetery.
Which way? 

And without fire, the damned cold  presses its death grip against you both.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (11/10/2019 9:46 am)


 
     Thread Starter
 

11/10/2019 4:10 pm  #2063


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

The tracks lead both up  and down the Belfry.  And  through the courtyard to and from the cemetery.
Which way? 

And without fire, the damned cold  presses its death grip against you both.

“Skip it, if we don’t move forward we’ll freeze. If he’s eagle-eyed as I remember, he should see us. If not him, or an undead archer, we can take cover behind the tower.”

Ooc: did Sol put on the slippers of spider climb? I’m sure he would have.

 

11/10/2019 4:11 pm  #2064


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

We go up the tower, carefully, and then check out the bell.

 

11/12/2019 9:49 am  #2065


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The timbers creak and groan under the barbarian's weight, but the steps hold firm. He climbs slowly testing each step until he reaches the top landing. Here over the roofline of the church the wooden belly is fire damaged, the wooden frame around you charred as the interior. 

The lantern flickers against the darkness and Sol holds it closer.

The huge oxidized copper bell is out of reach overhead, its ringing ropes obviously burned away.


 


 
     Thread Starter
 

11/12/2019 12:42 pm  #2066


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"Maybe we can make our own bell pull," Kondor pulls out the whip he took from Emral's body, and looks up to see if he can find the bell's clapper (assuming it's metal and still there), and if he can snare it with the whip, then ring the bell that way.

Dice in case I need to roll (no modifiers added)
d20: 12
d12: 6

 

11/12/2019 3:22 pm  #2067


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor manages to snag the clapper and pulls it against the bell's side. A deafening ring erupts, stilling the whipping wind, and causes Kondor to release the whip, and Sol to drop the lantern, both grasping to cover their ears.

The lantern falls through the stair treads to the black below the belfry and the courtyard is plunged into darkness...


 
     Thread Starter
 

11/13/2019 12:30 pm  #2068


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"Arrgh!" Kondor grabs his ears, sure it was sorcery that made the bell so large. He looks up to see if the bell is glowing like when the mysterious figure was up at the bell tower.

"Can you see if the bell has enchantments we can use? I can go get the lantern while you look."

 

11/13/2019 12:33 pm  #2069


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The bell is not glowing. You can barely make out Sols figure in front of you, and he doesn’t respond to your queries. The darkness envelops. You are unsure where the step is.


 
     Thread Starter
 

11/15/2019 12:58 pm  #2070


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"Mutter, mumble," Kondor tries to feel his way to the stair, and if he can hold Sol's sleeve and put his hand on the rail so he doesn't fall down. The assumption is Sol is deafened or stunned, and thus needs some light guidance until he can snap out of it.

Meanwhile, once it seems Sol can manage without dying horribly for whatever reason, Kondor feels his way to the stair, then down, then to the bottom and feeling around for the lantern.  He will then light the lantern asap, and carry the illumination back up to Sol.

ooc: I'm low on ideas here, if Sol can't figure it out then we're going to have to dash back to shelter. Gosh I wish we had more players working out the details on this one, because I'm not sure what else Kondor can do. He's a barbarian whose home is the icy wilds, so I'm hoping he's better prepared for the perilous winter than Emral would have been without that ring of warmth; but I'm not sure how he'll be able to complete this quest if he isn't able to access the bell; and without instructions written somewhere, or a vision from Emral's ghost, and if Sol can't figure this out, then we may need to strategically retreat and get help.

 

11/15/2019 1:54 pm  #2071


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor stumbles his way back down the stairs and searches around for the lantern. 
At last he feels it, it's slippery with split oil but a quick slosh reveals all is not lost.
As he fumbles to relight it the ringing in his ears is slowly displaced by the screaming of a female voice from the edge of the courtyard....."No you fools!!!!"


 
     Thread Starter
 

11/15/2019 10:34 pm  #2072


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor stumbles his way back down the stairs and searches around for the lantern. 
At last he feels it, it's slippery with split oil but a quick slosh reveals all is not lost.
As he fumbles to relight it the ringing in his ears is slowly displaced by the screaming of a female voice from the edge of the courtyard....."No you fools!!!!"

Kondor looks.  He lights the lantern to see the newcomer, or rather the person who made the tracks in the snow.

“Who are you? I am Kondor the Kimmerian, and I seek answers.”

 

11/15/2019 11:08 pm  #2073


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The slight figure emerges from the darkness. A woman draped in a bearskin, a long stick in her hand. Running toward Kodor at great speed.

She runs behind the great barbarian and mounts the belfry. "We're trapped!" Her eyelids are darkened with soot. There are strands of string around her neck, tiny carved wooden totems. She holds out a bony figure at the darkness toward the cemetery.

The ringing of the bell thins out in your ears and at last you hear - the turning of earth. The trudge of feet on dirt. And at the edge of the lantern light....

a man, dead skin rotted away from his face. The yellowed bone beneath decaying. Tattered black robes of a priest drape the rest of his rotted corpse. And yet he walks! toward the light!


 
     Thread Starter
 

11/15/2019 11:51 pm  #2074


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Sol strains his eyes toward the feeble lantern light down below.
"Kondor? Kondor! What's going on down there?!"

Sol rushes toward the base of the belfrey.

 

11/16/2019 4:46 pm  #2075


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

spotter wrote:

Sol strains his eyes toward the feeble lantern light down below.
"Kondor? Kondor! What's going on down there?!"

Sol rushes toward the base of the belfrey.

The woman grabs Sols arm and pushes him back up the stairs. “Forget the barbarian, don’t waste hope on him.”
She releases Sols arm , her sooted eyes boring into the young illusionist. “ I feel the spirits churning in you but We must away!”


 
     Thread Starter
 

11/16/2019 6:35 pm  #2076


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

spotter wrote:

Sol strains his eyes toward the feeble lantern light down below.
"Kondor? Kondor! What's going on down there?!"

Sol rushes toward the base of the belfrey.

The woman grabs Sols arm and pushes him back up the stairs. “Forget the barbarian, don’t waste hope on him.”
She releases Sols arm , her sooted eyes boring into the young illusionist. “ I feel the spirits churning in you but We must away!”

Kondor furrows his brow with a frown. "Waste no hope on me, indeed! For with Kondor is only certainly."

Sword out and pointed at the undead, Kondor barks a laugh.

"What are you to me, corpse? You've already died once. Should necromancy make you anything more than a carcass to feed dogs and crows? You're not even worthy of my blade, but you'll taste it."

ooc:  Initiative and attack rolls?

Inititative d6: 5
Attack roll: ...1

Ugh.

 

11/16/2019 8:40 pm  #2077


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The corpse says nothing, but reaches into its robes and pulls out a piece of transparent crystal which fits into the palm of its hand, shaped as a small boomerang, but one side with notching for fingers, the other a smooth cylinder with a hole down the middle of it. The priest- robe clad figure raises it at Kondor as it approaches.

Suddenly, and upon the figure appearing to squeeze it, the crystal glows hot orange - and a spherical spark of energy about 3 inches in diameter jolts forth in the darkness!

8!

Kondor manages to duck in time and the energy explodes in a dazzling ball of sparks against the Belfry rail!

Kondor swings very badly, {roll a 2nd d20}....
The Bearhide covered woman climbs higher on the belfry.

What is Sol's action for this round?


 

Last edited by Iron Ranger (11/16/2019 8:41 pm)


 
     Thread Starter
 

11/16/2019 11:35 pm  #2078


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

2nd d20:  2, before any modifiers.  Ugh.

 

11/16/2019 11:55 pm  #2079


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

2nd d20:  2, before any modifiers.  Ugh.

so that's a dropped sword...

 


 
     Thread Starter
 

11/17/2019 8:24 pm  #2080


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"(grunt)" Kondor hadn't realized how the magical frost had numbed his hands. The hilt had become slick upon  climbing to the roof, and the frost had clung to it. Together his blade striking at the undead let the blade be battered from his hands.

The warrior knew rolling to the blade was the only thing he could do, as much as the act would leave him vulnerable to the undead's attack.

ooc: going to roll when I get a chance, and rearm myself.

 

Board footera






“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2020 North Wind Adventures, LLC.