!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2018 2:04 am  #1

Holy Idiot of Xathoqqua

A player botched a downtime roll for spiritual supplication so Xathoqqua is going to have some fun.

An idiot joins the next adventure as part of a spiritual pilgrimage. Preventing them from joining or letting them die will inflict a Curse.

I'm looking for some good complications to throw at the party because of this. Their next adventure is a massive crypt complex filled with undead, if that helps. A couple caveats:

• I'm using this as an opportunity to place the party into interesting and difficult situations, not to screw them over.
  • If the players handle themselves with aplomb and amuse Xathoqqua, they may be rewarded with a helpful vision related to the dungeon.
  • This is a holy pilgrim of Xathoqqua so the players cannot simply beat or tie him up.

Last edited by Brock Savage (4/23/2018 2:05 am)

4/23/2018 6:27 am  #2

Re: Holy Idiot of Xathoqqua

I'm pretty sure my group would bury him up to his neck at the shore line but..... I would love to hear how this goes as this is a very creative interaction.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/24/2018 8:20 pm  #3

Genius. I love it.

Also burying at the shoreline. Either, or...

4/24/2018 10:48 pm  #4

How about a village along the way recognizes only this Idiot as leader of the group?

4/25/2018 7:12 am  #5

Brock Savage wrote:

A player botched a downtime roll for spiritual supplication so Xathoqqua is going to have some fun.

An idiot joins the next adventure as part of a spiritual pilgrimage. Preventing them from joining or letting them die will inflict a Curse.

I'm looking for some good complications to throw at the party because of this. Their next adventure is a massive crypt complex filled with undead, if that helps. A couple caveats:

• I'm using this as an opportunity to place the party into interesting and difficult situations, not to screw them over.
  • If the players handle themselves with aplomb and amuse Xathoqqua, they may be rewarded with a helpful vision related to the dungeon.
  • This is a holy pilgrim of Xathoqqua so the players cannot simply beat or tie him up.

It would be good if he was useful in some way.  Perhaps he is truly blessed by Xathoqqua (if that's possible).  He may have a way of avoiding getting killed in combat like an innate Sanctuary spell and he can give a free Omen spell once per combat...
Maybe he is a "living" key to a door that the players must get through.

While in my soul forever

4/25/2018 11:33 am  #6

Thank you for the excellent ideas, please keep them coming.

I imagine key traits of  Xathoquua being 1) extremely lazy, 2) capricious, and 3)  amused by the calamities and tribulations afflicting mortals. Kinda like a long-time 4chan user but squared and cubed into an alien being of god-like power.

I was thinking he's a mendicant priest, a Leslie Nielsen-type straight man fool who causes Chaos in his wake. I don't think I'm a good enough DM to pull that off so I am fishing for suggestions.

And yes, this guy is "blessed" by Xathoqqua and he'd be pissed if someone killed one of his favorite mortal fools. Unless, of course, the death was really amusing.

4/25/2018 11:46 am  #7

....and don't call me Shirley!

I feel like the players will put up with a lot if there is some chance they will get something out of it.

I'll think on this...

While in my soul forever

4/25/2018 3:24 pm  #8

What a brilliant idea! I love it.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/25/2018 7:21 pm  #9

I also think this is a good idea.
If I were going to use this, I would probably make a table of eight or ten annoying random actions. Then, whenever I rolled for a wandering monster, I would also check for a random action by the fool. If the action rolled was completely inappropriate to the situation at hand... so much the better.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/25/2018 7:58 pm  #10

Idiot easily distracted - party movement halved or quartered?

4/25/2018 9:14 pm  #11

Thank you for the kind words guys, I guess what I am asking for are examples of foolish behavior I could use. 

BA23, a random chart is totally appropriate! 

4/26/2018 3:21 pm  #12

Brock Savage wrote:

Thank you for the kind words guys, I guess what I am asking for are examples of foolish behavior I could use. 

I'm pretty sure BA23 could design a heckuva random chart!!

The madness list on p264 could be a wealth of ideas as his behavior may be some combination of these elements!

While in my soul forever

4/26/2018 3:31 pm  #13

This is so very CAS, chock-full of sardonicism.  

4/26/2018 3:54 pm  #14

Brock Savage wrote:

Has to carry a 50lb bulky wooden totem of the toad god with him. Needs frequent rest unless a character carries it.
Cannot be distracted by what he sees and has to wear an opaque mask and be led all the time.
Talks to people that are not there.
Has to have a lengthy conversation with himself before reaching any decision.
Wants to bring orphaned animals with him as they are "worshipers" and they are his flock.
Has random bouts where he thinks he is on fire....usually at night.
Falls down once or twice a day in a epileptic fit of pure Xathoqquan ecstasy.

While in my soul forever

4/26/2018 4:02 pm  #15

mabon5127 wrote:

Brock Savage wrote:

Has to carry a 50lb bulky wooden totem of the toad god with him. Needs frequent rest unless a character carries it.
Cannot be distracted by what he sees and has to wear an opaque mask and be led all the time.
Wants to bring orphaned animals with him as they are "worshipers" and they are his flock.

Those are some great ones, mabon5127! My players would end up eventually killing the guy and dealing with the consequences. Haha!

4/26/2018 5:16 pm  #16

mabon5127 wrote:

I shall incorporate these as random compulsions caused by a cursed object that someone might find... “Hey, that’s a cool Xathoqqua totem necklace. I grab it and put it on.”

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/26/2018 11:45 pm  #17

Please keep the suggestions coming. I'm afraid I can't contribute my own ideas, as my most veteran player frequents this board and I've already tipped my hand too much! I will say that I absolutely love the 50lb wooden statue idea, especially because we use an encumbrance system inspired by Lamentations of the Flame Princess. It makes a huge impact on the amount of gear carried in and treasure hauled out of the dungeon.

4/27/2018 7:35 am  #18

Chainsaw wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

I shall incorporate these as random compulsions caused by a cursed object that someone might find... “Hey, that’s a cool Xathoqqua totem necklace. I grab it and put it on.”

Haha! I have to admit that "Has random bouts where he thinks he is on fire" is stolen from Talladega Nights.  I chuckle every time I think about it. 

While in my soul forever

4/27/2018 7:55 am  #19

A few more...

He gives away all he has to the poor including what he steals from the players.

He needs to play the flute for hours to sleep in the evening. He can't play the flute.

He is extremely vocal about his disdain for followers of other religions. Mostly rude gestures to influential citizens of large towns.

He often talks of prescient dreams in which characters will die horribly.

If a character wakes in the evening he is always staring at them.

His presence draws a huge number of small slimy amphibians overnight. They infiltrate all backpacks and clothing leaving nothing unspoiled.

While in my soul forever

4/30/2018 12:40 am  #20

Thanks again for the ideas guys, with an especially big thanks to mabon5127 (I am shamelessly stealing some of your ideas). 

I refined my rough idea of  "idiot" into that of  a former priest of the Xathoqquan Orthodoxy who wanders Hyperborea as a deranged alcoholic mendicant known only as "The Sage". He's kind of like a 1990's Gary Busey if he was a defrocked homeless priest who can actually cast spells if his brain happens to be firing on all cylinders that day. 

Utterly fearless and convinced of his indestructability combined with no "filter" that prevents impulsive behavior. 

It's unclear if he lacks self-awareness or simply gives no fucks but the end result is the same. 

Openly disdainful towards followers of other religions. Half of the town outside the dungeon happens to worship Yoon'Deh. 

Breaks out a tambourine and sings at the most inappropriate of times. 

Frequently black-out drunk by noon. 

Devout citizens think he is a holy man and bring him offerings of food and drink while asking his blessing.

Critters walk, crawl, slither, and fly out of the swamp to hear his rambling, incoherent sermons. 

If the players are insane and sleep in the nearby swamp or dungeon, his presence draws a huge number of small slimy amphibians overnight. They infiltrate all backpacks and clothing leaving nothing unspoiled. 

Claims he is on a holy pilgrimage to an undisclosed landmark deep within the dungeon. 

Holds animated conversations with people who are not present. 

Actually knows some spells but poor memory, alcoholism, and madness ensure his spellcasting is a liability and not an asset. 

Gear: Prayer book, staff, robes, tambourine, begging bowl, Incense of Meditation, three bottles of excellent whiskey, wooden statue of Xathoqqua (50 lbs)

Last edited by Brock Savage (4/30/2018 12:45 am)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.