!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2014 10:50 am  #81

Re: The Black Monolith - Verctissa

Handy Haversack wrote:

Do either of those roads lead to what might be the docks or shore?

From the front gate of the Inn Verctissa scans the road leading deeper into town to the east but although she saw the small dock behind the inn itself she can't see if the main road through the village has a nearby road down to what must be the main docks of the town to the north. The southern turning road obviously leads in the opposite direction of the lake and seems to pass around the outer edge of the village leading who knows where.

4/02/2014 10:52 am  #82

She'll head down the main road, then, and see if an opportunity to get to the docks presents itself. She'll also keep an eye out for Andra and for anyone who looks interesting.

4/02/2014 11:08 am  #83

Handy Haversack wrote:

She'll head down the main road, then, and see if an opportunity to get to the docks presents itself. She'll also keep an eye out for Andra and for anyone who looks interesting.

As soon as Vectrissa passes the wall of the inn she can see the shore of the lake behind the shopfronts and homes to her north. The inn itself had a dock large enough to hold four boats or perhaps two larger ships. The next few shops have only small docks which could hold a boat or just big enough to set a few poles out to try for fish. One her right are first a small house that looks to be a dwelling, single floor with a peaked roof and worn boards, but it looks clean and occupied.

Next is a two-story house which is also very broad with a sign hanging from the front showing packages being loaded or removed from a large wagon. The dock behind this house is big enough to take a large boat and a boat is docked to it with a pile of packages sitting on the wide dock, but no-one appears to be about. There is a young woman sitting out front on the porch. Smoke trails from her mouth and nose occasionally and she draws on a small pipe from time to time. She is very blond and armored in a chain shirt.Her pants have amor plates on the sides and shins and her broad-nailed boots are out before and crossed one over the other. Her eyes are closed.

The third house is three stories tall and painted with a red roof and white walls. Brightly colored clothing is hanging from a line in the front yard and wooden board is painted with a man and woman wearing embroidered and brightly covered clothes. There is only a small dock behind this house.

On the other side of the street is a huge wide building with the sound of hammering going on within. A board hanging from the front is painted with the image of men putting wheels on a wagon. Behind the house can be seen the edge of a fence and a horse is being walked in a circle around the enclosed area by a ytoung boy.

Next to this building is a wide dirt road heading southeast.

The building across this street takes up the corner and is three stories tall with a balcony running across it. There are many doors and windows around this building and two young women in bright red and white clothes with their hair in red kerchiefs lean from the balcony and talk with each other.

(I will draw up a map later)

4/02/2014 12:31 pm  #84

I'll approach the woman and greet her. I'll ask if she is associated with the business behind her--and whether armor might not be more dangerous than protective if she had to sail the lake's waters.

4/02/2014 12:39 pm  #85

Handy Haversack wrote:

I'll approach the woman and greet her. I'll ask if she is associated with the business behind her--and whether armor might not be more dangerous than protective if she had to sail the lake's waters.

Verctissa calls out to the warrior and she open's her eyes lazily and takes a puff of her pipe. She laughs, and says," Hey stranger, I'm just waiting for my friends who have business within. We've come back from service with the horselord west of here, Zhelek-something and are dragging back some loot we gathered from a bandit hold. I'm no sailor, not even on a lake, but I can swim, even in this chain-sinker if I need to."

Roll a d20

4/02/2014 12:41 pm  #86

JasonZavoda wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Verctissa calls out to the warrior and she open's her eyes lazily and takes a puff of her pipe. She laughs, and says," Hey stranger, I'm just waiting for my friends who have business within. We've come back from service with the horselord west of here, Zhelek-something and are dragging back some loot we gathered from a bandit hold. I'm no sailor, not even on a lake, but I can swim, even in this chain-sinker if I need to."

Roll a d20

4. Even random.org seems to have caught 4 bug from my AS&SH dice.

4/02/2014 12:48 pm  #87

Handy Haversack wrote:

JasonZavoda wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Roll a d20

4. Even random.org seems to have caught 4 bug from my AS&SH dice.

As Verctissa approaches the young warrior woman she notices that the smoke from her pipe is rather pungent. A smell she recognizes from ritual practise of her own people and teachers.

4/02/2014 12:52 pm  #88

"You do honor to your victory with sacred smoke now, I see. Tell me, where did you come by this herb?"

4/02/2014 1:10 pm  #89

Handy Haversack wrote:

"You do honor to your victory with sacred smoke now, I see. Tell me, where did you come by this herb?"

She laughs, "This?" she asks holding her pipe. "I guess they don't have it here in Ruthan, but the Rudchenko grow it in fields they have cut in the forest and sell it at market. My people, the Njord, don't have it but I tried it and bought a pouch back in Schendko, one of their market-towns. Don't have much left. I'll have to see if I can get old Barchev who runs the trading post here to see if he can send for some. I'm Hrodney," she says and puts out her hand.

4/02/2014 1:20 pm  #90

"We are Verctissa, and Yiel, Hrodney. Well woven is our meeting. My people know this blend and make use of it as well. Are the Njord native to this region as the Rus are?"

4/02/2014 3:27 pm  #91

Handy Haversack wrote:

"We are Verctissa, and Yiel, Hrodney. Well woven is our meeting. My people know this blend and make use of it as well. Are the Njord native to this region as the Rus are?"

"Well met Verctissa and Yiel. We Njord are not native to this land at all. The Old Fathers sailed from Njordland in a raiding fleet but a mist descended and they found themselves near an island with a great tree. Yiel would find a thousand thousand brethren nesting on that tree. The great sailor Eirik landed there, he came back wiser with a great raven on his shoulder like your Yiel. He took the fleet to a land, this land, and we settled. It was an emptty land and its borders could take you to far places and strange lands with stars as different as the ones which shine down here on the Ruslanders. I guess we are as far as the wide seas from Rusland and as near as walking down a misty path that leads here most of the time. Ha... the Smoke makes me talk, and hungry." 

4/02/2014 3:31 pm  #92

"Perhaps you see more than you think with it. What of this victory you have won for the horse-lord. Are there many bandits around here? And do they owe allegiance to no one?"

4/02/2014 3:52 pm  #93

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Perhaps you see more than you think with it. What of this victory you have won for the horse-lord. Are there many bandits around here? And do they owe allegiance to no one?"

I owe my allegeance to the Raven King, but all he asks is that I live well and die well. My companions and I walk the lands and instead of raiding have banded together for hire and mostly hunt down raiders. The worst around here are the Kazaks. It has been a lifetime they say since they have come riding down from through the mountain passes in the west, but there are always outlaws and brigands who come from those lands and fasten on some clan of the Rus in the west. The latest were horse-thieves and plunderers, no more than thirty. While the horse-lord chased the main bunch we fell upon their camp. Geir found his way to the Raven King's hall and three of ours rest at the inn here while they heal. We killed twelve of the Kozaks. It was a good fight."

4/02/2014 5:30 pm  #94

"It is good that strong arms defend those who cannot defend themselves. Among my people, this is not the case. Tell me, what other trouble brews hereabouts. Do you know aught of the sorcerer who lives nearby?"

4/02/2014 5:37 pm  #95

Handy Haversack wrote:

"It is good that strong arms defend those who cannot defend themselves. Among my people, this is not the case. Tell me, what other trouble brews hereabouts. Do you know aught of the sorcerer who lives nearby?"

"Liguk or something?" she asks. "We are only arrived this past day. Good to have a rest. We missed the fire-beast that people screamed about. I was looking for new pants since mine were slashed to bits by rocks we climbed to get to the Kosak camp. No, when we were here last the lake was frozen and the screaming man they say who lives at its northern end was asleep. Very quite and a nice warm fire in the common room of the inn. I slep alot."

4/02/2014 5:45 pm  #96

"Hrodney, may I offer you a gold coin for some of your remaining pipe herbs? It is a thing important to my people, and I have seen none to harvest here."

4/02/2014 6:18 pm  #97

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Hrodney, may I offer you a gold coin for some of your remaining pipe herbs? It is a thing important to my people, and I have seen none to harvest here."

"No coin is necessary. I will split it with you," she says as she reaches down beside the bench where she was sitting and pulls out a small pack. Inside she has a laced leather purse which she opens. "Do you have a pouch for this?" she asks.

4/02/2014 6:32 pm  #98

[Checks character sheet] I do!

Ahem. "I do. I am in your debt, Hrodney, and I pay my debts that the weave be not disturbed. Tell me, is there aught I can do in repayment? When does your band set forth again?"

4/02/2014 6:37 pm  #99

Handy Haversack wrote:

[Checks character sheet] I do!

Ahem. "I do. I am in your debt, Hrodney, and I pay my debts that the weave be not disturbed. Tell me, is there aught I can do in repayment? When does your band set forth again?"

She pours about a pint sized pile of thick, pungent green buds into the pouch and puts hers back in her pouch. "We are waiting on the Old Woman or the Warder to ask for healing for our companions. Do you know any healing arts? This is a small thing on my part and I would not think you in my debt, but something given friend to friend?"

4/02/2014 6:42 pm  #100

Can I use the herbs to brew my soporific potion? I could repay Hrodney with one.

"I am afraid not. My talents lie in other directions. But I am to meet with the Council soon, and I will ask them to extend aid to your companions for your service to their tribe.

"And I will repay you, though I also accept friend to friend. Perhaps we shall find our strand leading the same way in the weave of days."

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.