Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/18/2017 6:16 pm  #21

Re: Rolling Attributes

My players are mostly newer players.  A guy that started with 4e and still considers it his favorite.  A guy that plays mostly 5e outside of my game.  A guy that plays lots of story games.  And one guy that was entirely new to RPGs but has happily latched onto the OSR games I introduced him to.

We've played our share of DCC funnels, but overall they do prefer to be able to play the characters they want to play.  I strongly prefer a certain amount of randomization in chargen, so it's a compromise.

12/18/2017 7:59 pm  #22

Don’t forget the 2:1 attribute adjustment. One can roll 3d6 or 4d6 in order and still modify the character to be closer to his desired ideal—just at a cost compared with a player who takes what the dice give him.

12/19/2017 2:06 am  #23

http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/devious.png
...or you can go really old-school: 3d6 in order, with the 2-for-1 adjustments, and completely ignore ability bonuses/penalties - the benefit being that players don't obsess over scores as much.

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

12/19/2017 5:57 am  #24

mabon5127 wrote:

Interesting story. I wonder how often players are successfully converted to OSR from the newer games?

Well, to be fair, it took me quite a while, and a couple of things stand out: a successful introduction to Classic Traveller (which I also run for them), and the ability to highlight how AS&SH accomplishes similar effects with much less overhead than PF. For example, Fighters are the best at fighting, without having decision trees (feats) at every level; the non-standard task resolution allows them to leverage their backgrounds to attempt just about anything, without a prescriptive list (skills) to consult; and tactics are easier, since there are fewer tactical factors to consider, though the chief one is still one's imagination. 

"Enough of this intolerable inanity! I propose that such loquacity passes beyond the scope of nuisance and over the verge of turpitude."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/19/2017 5:58 am  #25

DMPrata wrote:

Don’t forget the 2:1 attribute adjustment. One can roll 3d6 or 4d6 in order and still modify the character to be closer to his desired ideal—just at a cost compared with a player who takes what the dice give him.

Yes, I often forget about this, and will remind them next time.

"Enough of this intolerable inanity! I propose that such loquacity passes beyond the scope of nuisance and over the verge of turpitude."

12/19/2017 1:41 pm  #26

Grimmshade wrote:

I guess I'm the hippy, although I prefer punk. Even though I come from the dawn of the RPG, I generally allow point spread assigned Attributes.

I am another point-spread DM responsible for the slow decline of Western Civilization. 

Rolling for stats is great for grognards looking for a challenge. There is nothing new under the sun for these veteran gamers; adding the extra layer of challenge and verisimilitude with random stats and 0-level character funnels totally makes sense. 

Personally, I feel that it's important that players have characters that match the vision in their mind's eye rather than being assigned a character by the dice. I've found that most players design characters who are idealized alter-egos, branching out to more novel and challenging concepts as their experience grows. 

12/19/2017 3:19 pm  #27

One idea I liked from the old DragonQuest game was rolling to see what your point total was, with fewer points allowing a higher max in any attribute, and more points having a lower max in any attribute. Something like that would be interesting to try, and still sort of grognardish. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smart.png

12/19/2017 4:12 pm  #28

rhialto wrote:

I think it's important to discuss this before the game begins: I did with my group, knowing they were more familiar with Pathfinder and it's stultifying build process (IMO, of course http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/tongue.png
) and attribute budget.

Yeah, it is extremely important to discuss player expectations and house rules during session zero. It's frustrating to join a game and regret it because of a misleading elevator pitch or because the DM keeps all the house rules in his head. 

Last edited by Brock Savage (12/19/2017 4:26 pm)

12/19/2017 8:03 pm  #29

rhialto wrote:

One idea I liked from the old DragonQuest game was rolling to see what your point total was, with fewer points allowing a higher max in any attribute, and more points having a lower max in any attribute. Something like that would be interesting to try, and still sort of grognardish. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smart.png

I remember that system and that mechanic!  Played a lot of Dragon Quest back in the day. Lots of fun but it did read like a legal document.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/19/2017 8:24 pm  #30

rhialto wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Interesting story. I wonder how often players are successfully converted to OSR from the newer games?

Well, to be fair, it took me quite a while, and a couple of things stand out: a successful introduction to Classic Traveller (which I also run for them), and the ability to highlight how AS&SH accomplishes similar effects with much less overhead than PF. For example, Fighters are the best at fighting, without having decision trees (feats) at every level; the non-standard task resolution allows them to leverage their backgrounds to attempt just about anything, without a prescriptive list (skills) to consult; and tactics are easier, since there are fewer tactical factors to consider, though the chief one is still one's imagination. 

Neat insight! Thanks! 

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/19/2017 8:58 pm  #31

I guess I'm super lucky in that none of my players ever played the newer-school games. But to me this sounds awful. Maybe I just embrace a higher-lethality game, but I find that the blowback is worse when the carefully crafted character dies an hour an in than when the third or fourth "set of stats waiting for a post hoc story" makes it to second level.

I don't know. I feel like even my letting them roll 4d6 is super indulgent and obviates even having dice at all!

It's possible I'm a bad person?

All I know is I like every bad dice roll more than any bad person.

12/20/2017 12:23 am  #32

Handy Haversack wrote:

I guess I'm super lucky in that none of my players ever played the newer-school games. But to me this sounds awful. Maybe I just embrace a higher-lethality game, but I find that the blowback is worse when the carefully crafted character dies an hour an in than when the third or fourth "set of stats waiting for a post hoc story" makes it to second level.

I don't know. I feel like even my letting them roll 4d6 is super indulgent and obviates even having dice at all!

Well said! And no, you're not a bad person. It's just a classic approach. There's nothing wrong with point-buys and superheroes either, it's just a different approach.

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

12/20/2017 5:36 am  #33

mabon5127 wrote:

rhialto wrote:

I remember that system and that mechanic!  Played a lot of Dragon Quest back in the day. Lots of fun but it did read like a legal document.

Indeed, and yet still a solid game for a particular style.

12/20/2017 5:44 am  #34

Handy Haversack wrote:

Yes, carefully-crafted characters are simply one way to play, but they're as old-school as Call of Cthulhu or RuneQuest. But the blowback consequence is spot on, and the chief reason I don't run that style of game.

12/20/2017 8:38 am  #35

Whew!

And sure, for Champions of Marvel, I get it. But for just another walking Khromarium corpse that doesn't have the sense to know it's dead yet? There's no time to get attached!

12/21/2017 9:12 am  #36

foxroe wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Well said! And no, you're not a bad person. It's just a classic approach. There's nothing wrong with point-buys and superheroes either, it's just a different approach.

No, I've met Handy face to face, he is in fact a bad person ;-)

I mean, at least he isn't an &*#%@ *and* a bad person :-)

What? Me worry?

12/21/2017 9:13 am  #37

gizmomathboy wrote:

foxroe wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

No, I've met Handy face to face, he is in fact a bad person ;-)

I mean, at least he isn't an &*#%@ *and* a bad person :-)

Yeah!

12/21/2017 4:28 pm  #38

I remember 25 or so years ago, a guy who used to run Palladium fantasy had us roll 9d6, and arrange the face results as you like on a tic-tac-toe. Your stats, in order, were the sums of the rows and columns.

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (12/21/2017 4:38 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

12/21/2017 4:30 pm  #39

They say there's nothing new under the sun, but I've honestly never heard that one before Jimm.

12/21/2017 4:37 pm  #40

It honestly produces some interesting results. That is to say, you can optimize a stat or two while the rest of your abilities come out... interesting. Try it out.

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (12/21/2017 4:41 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2019 North Wind Adventures, LLC.