Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2017 9:49 am  #61


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Ynas Midgard wrote:

I've been calculating probabilities here and there and realised I don't like the curve of the 3d6 roll; too many results have way too little chance of ever showing up. That combined with the fact that no table has an earth elemental on it made me decide that I'll create my own encounter tables - based on your piece, obviously.

Still huge thanks for putting this together, but now I gotta put my own spin on it

You're welcome! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smile.png

Obviously it is hundreds-to-one (thousands-to-one in some cases) against certain of the entries appearing. Of course, these are mostly near-guaranteed party-killers. I'm not a complete monster. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cute.png

I think I'll refrain from addressing the earth elemental issue until I find out if you're kidding or not. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
 

5/20/2017 8:39 am  #62


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Good morning Hyperborea! and welcome to daily encounters. This one is very special, as your players are daring one of the greatest mysteries of Hyperborea: one of the Great Obelisks that rises from the sea at the rim of the world. What will they encounter there?

5 blue whales
Sleet Storm
Iceberg! (hope it’s not winter…)
20 lizardmen – but only along the coast, so no encounter!
1 killer whale
7 giant rats – but only along the coast, so no encounter!
1 shoggoth!
4 trolls – coastal only, so no encounter
2 giant crabs
6 crocodiles
Iceberg again! (I really hope it’s not winter)
Fever
6 elder things! (perhaps looking for that shoggoth)

Does a wet shoggoth get bonuses to save vs. fire? I'm guessing so. Yikes!


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

5/21/2017 8:43 am  #63


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

It's time for daily encounters! Today your players are aboard ship in the middle of the Hyperborean Sea. What will they meet there?

15 ghouls – lacedons!
4 giant crabs
2 giant crabs
1 giant crocodile
1 sea serpent
Merchants on carrack – 8 merchants (1st level thieves), 14 heavy crossbowmen, 18 halberdiers, Hebbalvalith (2nd level fighter in command of guards), and 50 sailors equipped as marines. 40,000 g.p. worth of trade goods.
1 killer whale
6 giant ferrets – coastal only, so no encounter!
1 giant crocodile
1 giant crab
1 killer whale
4 killer whales
8 great white sharks

Quite a random haul if the PCs are evil, and strong enough to sack that merchant ship.


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

5/21/2017 12:51 pm  #64


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Blackadder23 wrote:

It's time for daily encounters! Today your players are aboard ship in the middle of the Hyperborean Sea.

Merchants on carrack – 8 merchants (1st level thieves), 14 heavy crossbowmen, 18 halberdiers, Hebbalvalith (2nd level fighter in command of guards), and 50 sailors equipped as marines. 40,000 g.p. worth of trade goods.

Quite a random haul if the PCs are evil, and strong enough to sack that merchant ship.

Not think that would stop Conan and I sure he was not Evil; but then!?!
 

 

5/21/2017 3:53 pm  #65


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Blackadder23 wrote:

Merchants on carrack

Which is why no one believes their story about 6 giant ferrets...

Yuck, yuck, yuck.
 


"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."
 

5/21/2017 6:11 pm  #66


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Caveman wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

It's time for daily encounters! Today your players are aboard ship in the middle of the Hyperborean Sea.

Merchants on carrack – 8 merchants (1st level thieves), 14 heavy crossbowmen, 18 halberdiers, Hebbalvalith (2nd level fighter in command of guards), and 50 sailors equipped as marines. 40,000 g.p. worth of trade goods.

Quite a random haul if the PCs are evil, and strong enough to sack that merchant ship.

Not think that would stop Conan and I sure he was not Evil; but then!?!
 

Alignment is always a contentious subject. Certainly Conan is depicted as a violent sociopath in Howard's stories (much like Achilles, for example, and very unlike King Arthur). I personally would classify him as Chaotic Neutral (in AD&D terms) at best, at least prior to becoming King of Aquilonia. If someone wanted to make an argument for Chaotic Evil, I would be willing to listen; only the trace of a moral code Conan shows (not mistreating women, for example, and generally keeping his word) would cause me to hesitate to classify him as Evil. The issue of his piracy is somewhat mitigated by the fact that many or most of his victims are themselves Evil - other pirates, Stygians, Zamorans, and so forth. If you were to hold a gun to my head and force me to give Conan an AS&SH alignment, I guess it would be Chaotic Good (because he does have a moral code, and doesn't rape and murder - or even cheat - everybody he meets).

In any event, NPC pirates are Chaotic Evil in the AS&SH rules (and for that matter, in the AD&D rules), so I personally would assess an alignment violation for non-Evil PCs who engaged in random piracy (though privateering against Evil targets such as Ixians would be okay). But I strongly encourage you and every other DM to handle the specifics of alignment however you please. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smile.png


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

5/22/2017 6:12 am  #67


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Blackadder23 wrote:

Caveman wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

It's time for daily encounters! Today your players are aboard ship in the middle of the Hyperborean Sea.

Merchants on carrack – 8 merchants (1st level thieves), 14 heavy crossbowmen, 18 halberdiers, Hebbalvalith (2nd level fighter in command of guards), and 50 sailors equipped as marines. 40,000 g.p. worth of trade goods.

Quite a random haul if the PCs are evil, and strong enough to sack that merchant ship.

Not think that would stop Conan and I sure he was not Evil; but then!?!
 

Alignment is always a contentious subject. Certainly Conan is depicted as a violent sociopath in Howard's stories (much like Achilles, for example, and very unlike King Arthur). I personally would classify him as Chaotic Neutral (in AD&D terms) at best, at least prior to becoming King of Aquilonia. If someone wanted to make an argument for Chaotic Evil, I would be willing to listen; only the trace of a moral code Conan shows (not mistreating women, for example, and generally keeping his word) would cause me to hesitate to classify him as Evil. The issue of his piracy is somewhat mitigated by the fact that many or most of his victims are themselves Evil - other pirates, Stygians, Zamorans, and so forth. If you were to hold a gun to my head and force me to give Conan an AS&SH alignment, I guess it would be Chaotic Good (because he does have a moral code, and doesn't rape and murder - or even cheat - everybody he meets).

In any event, NPC pirates are Chaotic Evil in the AS&SH rules (and for that matter, in the AD&D rules), so I personally would assess an alignment violation for non-Evil PCs who engaged in random piracy (though privateering against Evil targets such as Ixians would be okay). But I strongly encourage you and every other DM to handle the specifics of alignment however you please. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smile.png

I would agree with Chaotic Good.  I generally don't like alignments and never use them at cons.  People are complex and so determining alignment is sometimes problematic.....But on the daily encounters, I love seeing these and creating a story around them.  It really makes the encounter day come to life vs "fight this today" type encounter.  You have really worked hard on this and I for one appreciate it!  Home run!


“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 
 

5/22/2017 8:21 am  #68


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Thanks! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smile.png

Once again, it's daily encounter time! Today your players have journeyed to Ice Lake, where the Esquimaux worship Kraken instead of Kthulhu (big improvement). Who or what will they meet there?

Snow blind (one PC can’t see for 4 hours)!
19 bactrian camels
1 spectre! – night only
Lost
6 giant white toads!
Hunting party of 10 bowmen and 8 dogs, led by Aguta. They haven’t bagged any game yet.
Fever
Hunting party of 12 bowmen and 9 dogs, led by Tuwawi. They haven’t bagged any game yet either.
Thin ice (over 10’ hole)
Hunting party of 13 bowmen and 7 dogs, led by Salaksartok. They’ve managed to bag a black bear!
Hunting party of 10 bowmen and 10 dogs, led by Suka. They’ve bagged 8 wolves!
Lost
Windstorm!

It looks like Kraken-worshiping Esquimaux are slightly better shots. Who knew?


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

5/22/2017 1:14 pm  #69


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

mabon5127 wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Caveman wrote:

Not think that would stop Conan and I sure he was not Evil; but then!?!
 

Alignment is always a contentious subject. Certainly Conan is depicted as a violent sociopath in Howard's stories (much like Achilles, for example, and very unlike King Arthur). I personally would classify him as Chaotic Neutral (in AD&D terms) at best, at least prior to becoming King of Aquilonia. If someone wanted to make an argument for Chaotic Evil, I would be willing to listen; only the trace of a moral code Conan shows (not mistreating women, for example, and generally keeping his word) would cause me to hesitate to classify him as Evil. The issue of his piracy is somewhat mitigated by the fact that many or most of his victims are themselves Evil - other pirates, Stygians, Zamorans, and so forth. If you were to hold a gun to my head and force me to give Conan an AS&SH alignment, I guess it would be Chaotic Good (because he does have a moral code, and doesn't rape and murder - or even cheat - everybody he meets).

In any event, NPC pirates are Chaotic Evil in the AS&SH rules (and for that matter, in the AD&D rules), so I personally would assess an alignment violation for non-Evil PCs who engaged in random piracy (though privateering against Evil targets such as Ixians would be okay). But I strongly encourage you and every other DM to handle the specifics of alignment however you please. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smile.png

I would agree with Chaotic Good.  I generally don't like alignments and never use them at cons.  People are complex and so determining alignment is sometimes problematic.....But on the daily encounters, I love seeing these and creating a story around them.  It really makes the encounter day come to life vs "fight this today" type encounter.  You have really worked hard on this and I for one appreciate it!  Home run!

Yes, using Alignment rules, I felt Conan at the time he met Belit was losing his moral code and struggled to get it back once he left her, Chaotic Good at beginning, changing to Chaotic Neutral touching on Evil. His moral code is still like an animal who does not feel guilty about killing to eat, so he does the same. Still he can sway between alignments quite a bit in his careers; though remaining Chaotic.

I also not a great alignment fan, but keep it as part of AS&SH and AD&D for fun as it makes the games what they are. I play D20 Conan from Mongoose and it does not use Alignments, so suits Conan if he behaves questionably!
 

 

5/23/2017 1:47 am  #70


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Not to derail this great thread, but I'd like to just add that sometimes it's easier to just view alignment as a role-playing tool. It's a "How would this character react to this situation?" guideline, and not necessarily a gaming straight-jacket. You can play a LG paladin, but still be angry and dark (think Solomon Kane) - just don't go around stealing stuff or harming defenseless people.


"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."
 

5/23/2017 11:33 am  #71


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

I like alignment because it's more thing players have to worry about. The more different things players have to worry about, the better I like it. Speaking of which...

It's time for your daily encounters! In this installment, your players have made landfall on the forested shores of the Islands of the Ape-Men. Whatever will they meet there?

24 ape-men!
12 giant rats
Quicksand
21 giant bees! (one sting each is all they need)
1 ape-man
5 giant tuataras (night only)
3 rats
4 ape-men
14 giant bombardier beetles!
Fever (monkey fever, no doubt)
1 giant komodo dragon
Fog bank
1 mountain ape (big brother!)

It's pre-hysterical! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cute.png


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

5/23/2017 5:59 pm  #72


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Hopefully the party brought plenty of Raid and a ship's hold full of bananas. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png


"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."
 

5/24/2017 8:36 am  #73


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Welcome back to daily encounters! Today your players have made landfall on the dreaded Isle of Ghul, which nine out of ten dentists recommend avoiding under any circumstances. Just how badly will this go?

Lost (and so it begins…)
Fog bank
14 skeletons
Rockslide
6 ghouls
18 zombies
4 ghouls
3 ghouls
Box canyon
Sleet storm
14 zombies
Fog bank
3 ghouls
 
Ghul didn’t put in an appearance himself (probably still working on the hardback). Maybe next time…


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

5/24/2017 10:09 am  #74


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

foxroe wrote:

Not to derail this great thread, but I'd like to just add that sometimes it's easier to just view alignment as a role-playing tool. It's a "How would this character react to this situation?" guideline, and not necessarily a gaming straight-jacket. You can play a LG paladin, but still be angry and dark (think Solomon Kane) - just don't go around stealing stuff or harming defenseless people.

I agree, lets not change the subject, but good idea, just because Conan maybe CG, does not mean he has to have good intentions towards his prey; example merchant ships!

Yes, alignments can be fun, give the characters a perspective to life!
 

 

5/25/2017 8:49 am  #75


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Daily encounter time! In this episode, your players have arrived at the volcanic slopes of the Isles of Thur, where some oddball Vikings still worship Thor. They can't be as bad as the Ymir-worshipers, right?

6 mountain lions
Hermundr (9th level shaman!)
Vermin (PC lost food)
4 trolls!
8 wolves
Snowstorm (wrath of Ymir on the heretics?)
30 bandits
Sippy, prospector (and 9th level Chaotic Evil cleric of Xathoqqua). She doesn’t have a map to a mine, just a hunch.
Flash flood!
Vermin (another PC loses food)
1 brown bear
Patrol of 16 medium infantrymen led by Sigrun (5th level fighter). They are alert for foul worshippers of Ymir and Ullr (and also trolls).
5 giant wolf spiders!

A nice varied assortment of encounters.


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

5/25/2017 9:10 am  #76


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Blackadder23 wrote:

Daily encounter time! In this episode, your players have arrived at the volcanic slopes of the Isles of Thur, where some oddball Vikings still worship Thor. They can't be as bad as the Ymir-worshipers, right?

6 mountain lions
Hermundr (9th level shaman!)
Vermin (PC lost food)
4 trolls!
8 wolves
Snowstorm (wrath of Ymir on the heretics?)
30 bandits
Sippy, prospector (and 9th level Chaotic Evil cleric of Xathoqqua). She doesn’t have a map to a mine, just a hunch.
Flash flood!
Vermin (another PC loses food)
1 brown bear
Patrol of 16 medium infantrymen led by Sigrun (5th level fighter). They are alert for foul worshippers of Ymir and Ullr (and also trolls).
5 giant wolf spiders!

A nice varied assortment of encounters.

6 mountain lions seems a bit odd to be together.  I admit to not being an expert but I thought they were solitary hunters. Unless of course they were pets of the Shaman Hermundr who had raised them from birth and trained them in pack tactics, like attacking wizards and such first!
 


“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 
 

5/26/2017 10:00 am  #77


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

^
Your explanation is as good as any. When my players raise issues like that, my response is generally, "I'm not explaining anything unless your characters learn the answer." Usually they don't. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cute.png

Welcome back to daily encounters! Today your players have made the highly dubious decision to land on IX, Isle of the Necromancers! I hope their wills are made out...

11 skeletons
4 skeletons
Patrol of 20 light infantry led by Storane (12th level fighter!) and accompanied by Insazagos (9th level magician!) Yikes, it really doesn’t pay to visit IX… unless you want to be enslaved…
Mada (10th level witch!)
3 zombies
Rockslide
1 zombie
100 slaves building a necromancer’s fortress, guarded by 14 light infantry led by Tamura (5th level fighter). Will the PCs soon be joining the slave gang?
23 skeletons
5 skeletons
6 ghouls
13 zombies
18 skeletons

I really hope they brought a cleric!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (5/26/2017 10:07 am)


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

5/27/2017 9:27 am  #78


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Time for your daily encounter! This is another very special one, as your players have entered the city of Khromarium, erstwhile capital of the Hyperboreans, largest city in Hyperborea, center of the civilized world, and also a wretched hive of scum and - sorry, I thought about the prequels and threw up in my mouth a little. Anyhoo, what will your players meet in this grandest of Hyperborean cities?

Patrol of 15 light infantry led by Rhulrhana (2nd level fighter). Looking for trouble or causing it?
Patrol of 18 light infantry led by Zennquann (8th level fighter). Maybe Khromarium isn’t as lawless as rumors would have it…
Patrol of 16 light infantry led by Rhul (12th level fighter!) …unless the city watch are also the criminals?
Patrol of 16 medium infantry led by Zullesta (1st level fighter). Holy cow, there must be a great disturbance in the city to warrant this many patrols. I wonder what’s happening.
4 beggars
17 zombies (well, there’s your problem…)
Aroon (7th level Neutral fighter) accompanied by 11 2nd level medium infantry mercenaries/zombie hunters
Vermin (Luckless PC lost his food, probably to rats or jaundice-centipedes)
1 viper
Poison gas! Sewer broke and released a stinking cloud!
Patrol of 16 light infantry led by Qarrdunnia (5th level fighter). Probably still zombie hunting.
Zullesta the Quick (6th level Chaotic Good thief). Will she propose some daring heist to the PCs while the city watch is distracted with the zombie outbreak?
10 giant black centipedes

Khromarium really needs some full-time zombie hunters. And a plumber.


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

5/27/2017 10:04 am  #79


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Blackadder23 wrote:

Time for your daily encounter! This is another very special one, as your players have entered the city of Khromarium, erstwhile capital of the Hyperboreans, largest city in Hyperborea, center of the civilized world, and also a wretched hive of scum and - sorry, I thought about the prequels and threw up in my mouth a little. Anyhoo, what will your players meet in this grandest of Hyperborean cities?

Patrol of 15 light infantry led by Rhulrhana (2nd level fighter). Looking for trouble or causing it?
Patrol of 18 light infantry led by Zennquann (8th level fighter). Maybe Khromarium isn’t as lawless as rumors would have it…
Patrol of 16 light infantry led by Rhul (12th level fighter!) …unless the city watch are also the criminals?
Patrol of 16 medium infantry led by Zullesta (1st level fighter). Holy cow, there must be a great disturbance in the city to warrant this many patrols. I wonder what’s happening.
4 beggars
17 zombies (well, there’s your problem…)
Aroon (7th level Neutral fighter) accompanied by 11 2nd level medium infantry mercenaries/zombie hunters
Vermin (Luckless PC lost his food, probably to rats or jaundice-centipedes)
1 viper
Poison gas! Sewer broke and released a stinking cloud!
Patrol of 16 light infantry led by Qarrdunnia (5th level fighter). Probably still zombie hunting.
Zullesta the Quick (6th level Chaotic Good thief). Will she propose some daring heist to the PCs while the city watch is distracted with the zombie outbreak?
10 giant black centipedes

Khromarium really needs some full-time zombie hunters. And a plumber.

Best one yet!  Another great day in K-ciy!


“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 
 

5/28/2017 12:03 pm  #80


Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

Thanks!

It's that time again: daily encounters! In today's episode, your players have traveled to the Kimmerian Steppes. Big game ahoy?

15 wild horses
13 aurochs
24 dromedary camels
24 more dromedary camels
Heat wave!
11 aurochs
13 aurochs
40 musk oxen
Patrol of 30 light cavalry led by Lysandra. Possibly hunting?
20 wild horses
14 bactrian camels
20 wild horses
Fever

Lots of game on the Kimmerian Steppe – all those luckless hunters in other regions should come here.


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
     Thread Starter
 

Board footera





“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2019 North Wind Adventures, LLC.