!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2014 12:55 am  #1

Reversed Spell Question

I have a question which I could easily look up, but I wonder if I can't more easily find someone who knows the answer.

Are there any spells which are reversible for casters of one class/subclass but not reversible for casters of another class/subclass? If so, can you find an example?

3/19/2014 10:28 am  #2

Re: Reversed Spell Question

There may be one or two . . . I'd have to take a closer look. This might be a good question for DMPrata, because he has a memory like an elephant.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/19/2014 11:56 am  #3

Ghul wrote:

There may be one or two . . . I'd have to take a closer look. This might be a good question for DMPrata, because he has a memory like an elephant.

You would have to look at the lists for each and note if italicized.  The spell descriptions don't mention classes that cannot cast the reverse of the spell.  I would think it would be noted in the description vs. just the lists.  I haven't found a discrepancy as yet.

I would say no.  If you can cast the spell you can cast the reverse.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/19/2014 9:50 pm  #4

Thanks all. I'm now making a database to produce a printable gaming-table spellbook sheet for player reference. It's based on the section in the current character sheet, but it fills itself in.
I'll use the lists and report back if I find anything about reversals.

My next challenge is to produce "Notes" for each spell, reducing each to an extremely short version. (roughly 80 chars.). Any s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶s̶ volunteers to help?

3/20/2014 5:26 am  #5

I found detect evil and protection from evil have reversible forms that are alignment-based.

Last edited by Ghul (3/20/2014 5:26 am)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/20/2014 7:43 am  #6

Maezar wrote:

Thanks all. I'm now making a database to produce a printable gaming-table spellbook sheet for player reference. It's based on the section in the current character sheet, but it fills itself in.

My next challenge is to produce "Notes" for each spell, reducing each to an extremely short version. (roughly 80 chars.). Any s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶s̶ volunteers to help?

Thats a great idea.  I have a priest I have prepped for a con game that I copied the spells to a couple sheets so they could have them in front of them for the game and not fumble through the book.  I had considered the bare essentials listing such as you but could not get it done by con time.  As a GM I generally know what the spell does but the specific numbers and save vs I have to look up!

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/20/2014 7:50 am  #7

Maezar wrote:

I could probably lend a hand--even possibly crowd source with my players. We're gaming Sunday, so don't know that I'll have much of a chance to do anything before then. Maybe Saturday, but I have some prep and other stuff to do. If you tell me what you're looking for formatwise (.txt files? Excel?), I can at least propose it at the table.

3/20/2014 8:44 pm  #8

I'm doing ok with it actually... I got up to CLOUDKILL in just a few hours last night. I've created a system of standard abbreviations. This makes condensing easier

T.=turns
SV:sor = Save vs. Sorcery
Human/oid = Human or humanoid
etc.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.