!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2014 5:22 pm  #141

Re: Introduction Thread

Great story, MarbleToad, and welcome aboard! We are happy to have you. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/01/2014 6:23 pm  #142

I don't think I've done this yet; my name is Will (aka arndog1975) and I've been playing RPGs longer than I can remember. My first purchases were Marvel Super Heroes Advanced box set and 1e Player's Handbook, folllowed closely by the DMG and Fiend Folio. So I guess that makes it 28 of my 39 years. In that time I have played or ran FASERIP and Saga Marvel, Vampire/Werewolf/Mage, Mentzer/1e/2e/3e/3.5e/4e, Fading Suns, BattleTech/MechWarrior, GURPS, BRP Call of Cthulhu and d20, Star Wars d6/d20/Saga, DC Heroes, Cyberpunk 2020, Star Frontiers, Paranoia, Shadowrun,  Trinity/Aberrant, Alternity, and Gamma World 4e.

Is that a lot? I don't think I realized it was that many. I had just bought into the 4e Essentials and was teaching my son and his friends when the 5e playtest was announced. I took a look but didn't really like what I saw. Somehow, I found my way to the OSR and heard about AS&SH via grognardia. My first 3 purchases were the AS&SH box set, Taken From Dunwich, and Carcosa last January and I haven't looked back.

Thank you, Jeff and Ian, for helping me back to gaming after a decade drought. I'm hoping to give back to the community via this forum/G+/my pitiful blog/AFS and my ongoing game with my son and his friends.

Duty now for the future.

7/01/2014 6:46 pm  #143

MarbleToad wrote:

Hello everyone!  My name is Griffin.  I play all sorts of games.  I collect boardgames, miniatures, wargames, and RPGs.  I've played and own every edition of DND: Whitebox to 4th.  I used to purchase games in hopes of finding "The One"...the Uber-game...the universal truth.  I have long since given up the quest in favor of hoarding. 

I stumbled into my FLGS almost two months ago and the AS&SH box set was on the shelf.  I remember reading a review many moons ago, and was stricken with the impulse to buy.  I am now running a weekly fledgling sandbox campaign set in Hyperborea in said FLGS.  I am not disappointed in the least!  I've been so happy with the content of the box set, that I have encouraged my best friend who lives many hours from me to purchase the game.  He is now planning a campaign of his own!  Thank you for reigniting my quest for universal truth...as it pertains to games of course ;)

Welcome Grif!

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/01/2014 6:54 pm  #144

Will wrote:

My first purchases were Marvel Super Heroes Advanced box set and 1e Player's Handbook, folllowed closely by the DMG and Fiend Folio. So I guess that makes it 28 of my 39 years. In that time I have played or ran FASERIP and Saga Marvel, Vampire/Werewolf/Mage, Mentzer/1e/2e/3e/3.5e/4e, Fading Suns, BattleTech/MechWarrior, GURPS, BRP Call of Cthulhu and d20, Star Wars d6/d20/Saga, DC Heroes, Cyberpunk 2020, Star Frontiers, Paranoia, Shadowrun, Trinity/Aberrant, Alternity, and Gamma World 4e.

Wow! An impressive list. Sadly, I can claim little but various editions of D&D (OD&D, 1E, 2E, 4E) and AS&SH. I look forward to all of the perspective and insights you can bring.

Somehow, I found my way to the OSR and heard about AS&SH via grognardia. My first 3 purchases were the AS&SH box set, Taken From Dunwich, and Carcosa last January and I haven't looked back.

Thank you, Jeff and Ian, for helping me back to gaming after a decade drought. I'm hoping to give back to the community via this forum/G+/my pitiful blog/AFS and my ongoing game with my son and his friends.

Glad you found it and we welcome you here.

7/01/2014 9:00 pm  #145

MarbleToad wrote:

Hello everyone!  My name is Griffin.  I play all sorts of games.  I collect boardgames, miniatures, wargames, and RPGs.  I've played and own every edition of DND: Whitebox to 4th.  I used to purchase games in hopes of finding "The One"...the Uber-game...the universal truth.  I have long since given up the quest in favor of hoarding. 

I stumbled into my FLGS almost two months ago and the AS&SH box set was on the shelf.  I remember reading a review many moons ago, and was stricken with the impulse to buy.  I am now running a weekly fledgling sandbox campaign set in Hyperborea in said FLGS.  I am not disappointed in the least!  I've been so happy with the content of the box set, that I have encouraged my best friend who lives many hours from me to purchase the game.  He is now planning a campaign of his own!  Thank you for reigniting my quest for universal truth...as it pertains to games of course ;)

Great to have you here, Marble Toad! Feel free to jump into any of the conversations taking place here, or resurrect an old conversation, or start a brand new thread! Happy to hear you found the game at your FLGS! And thanks for encouraging your friend to pick up the game -- every little bit helps!

Cheers,
Jeff T.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/01/2014 9:04 pm  #146

Will wrote:

I don't think I've done this yet; my name is Will (aka arndog1975) and I've been playing RPGs longer than I can remember. My first purchases were Marvel Super Heroes Advanced box set and 1e Player's Handbook, folllowed closely by the DMG and Fiend Folio. So I guess that makes it 28 of my 39 years. In that time I have played or ran FASERIP and Saga Marvel, Vampire/Werewolf/Mage, Mentzer/1e/2e/3e/3.5e/4e, Fading Suns, BattleTech/MechWarrior, GURPS, BRP Call of Cthulhu and d20, Star Wars d6/d20/Saga, DC Heroes, Cyberpunk 2020, Star Frontiers, Paranoia, Shadowrun, Trinity/Aberrant, Alternity, and Gamma World 4e.

Is that a lot? I don't think I realized it was that many. I had just bought into the 4e Essentials and was teaching my son and his friends when the 5e playtest was announced. I took a look but didn't really like what I saw. Somehow, I found my way to the OSR and heard about AS&SH via grognardia. My first 3 purchases were the AS&SH box set, Taken From Dunwich, and Carcosa last January and I haven't looked back.

Duty now for the future.

Will, I'm delighted to have you here. Welcome! My word, that is an impressive list of games you've played over the years. I wonder if my own list is that extnsive, but I'd be reluctant to list games we tried for only a few sessions and then scrapped.

7/02/2014 9:01 pm  #147

Ghul wrote:

MarbleToad wrote:

Great to have you here, Marble Toad! Feel free to jump into any of the conversations taking place here, or resurrect an old conversation, or start a brand new thread! Happy to hear you found the game at your FLGS! And thanks for encouraging your friend to pick up the game -- every little bit helps!

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Will Do!

7/04/2014 8:35 pm  #148

Hey everyone, I'm Zak.  Architect by day, gamer by night (and pretty much all other times of the day).  I grew up gaming with MarbleToad, and must admit, it was his excitement that brought me here to AS&SH.  After listening to him go through just a snippet of the content, I was hooked immediately and knew I would be embarking on my own journey into this realm. 

Currently I am in the middle of a very heavy tabletop gaming scene in the DC area, and after our resident GM/DM moved away *tear*, the rpg scene, and some of the more rpg focused members in our group were loosing a bit of steam.  This was just the perfect boxed set we needed to get going again into some much needed role playing.  After being a 'player' for most of my gaming life, this will be one of my first transitions into the referee's chair.  I'd like to think I have received some pretty valuable knowledge and insight from MarbleToad along the way, but I look forward to keeping up with all of the rest of your posts and ideas that I have already begun to enjoy on this forum and related blogs.

Here's to jumping into the deep end!  Or off the edge of the world, as appears to be the case...

7/04/2014 11:00 pm  #149

Welcome Zak!!!!!  WebwayDrifter....nice!

7/05/2014 12:19 am  #150

WebwayDrifter wrote:

Hey everyone, I'm Zak.  Architect by day, gamer by night (and pretty much all other times of the day).  I grew up gaming with MarbleToad, and must admit, it was his excitement that brought me here to AS&SH.  After listening to him go through just a snippet of the content, I was hooked immediately and knew I would be embarking on my own journey into this realm. 

Currently I am in the middle of a very heavy tabletop gaming scene in the DC area, and after our resident GM/DM moved away *tear*, the rpg scene, and some of the more rpg focused members in our group were loosing a bit of steam.  This was just the perfect boxed set we needed to get going again into some much needed role playing.  After being a 'player' for most of my gaming life, this will be one of my first transitions into the referee's chair.  I'd like to think I have received some pretty valuable knowledge and insight from MarbleToad along the way, but I look forward to keeping up with all of the rest of your posts and ideas that I have already begun to enjoy on this forum and related blogs.

Here's to jumping into the deep end!  Or off the edge of the world, as appears to be the case...

Awesome! Welcome aboard!

7/05/2014 2:36 pm  #151

Welcome aboard, Zak. Can't wait to hear about your game and please reach out if you have any questions, want advice or have anything to share. 

7/18/2014 9:32 am  #152

Hi all, name's Allen, been gaming since I was nine (in 1981), started with Moldvay/Cook edition, then hybridized with 1e, Mentzer, then 2e.  My favorites include Gamma World (all except the WotC D&D one), Star Frontiers, Rifts (yeah, I am one of the few who don't find it unplayable), earlier Shadowrun, and now AS&SH.

My personal Questing Beast is the perfect system, but I don't think it exists.

I'm really digging this system and setting, though.

7/18/2014 10:32 am  #153

Hi, Allen! Welcome a-board!

7/18/2014 2:27 pm  #154

Thanks for joining us, Allen! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on AS&SH and gaming in general.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

7/27/2014 7:11 pm  #155

Greets, all.  Steve here; been tabletop gaming for upwards of 30 years now, from running my Dad through the world of Greyhawk as a wee kid, on in through RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu and into Pathfinder and a host of other random systems.

A friend of mine had gotten involved in a gaming group that happened to have just started up an AS&SH campaign. I hopped in to see what was what, had fun, ordered a copy of the PM, and they pointed me here for additional questions on lore and such like that I might happen to have.

Last edited by SteveMND (7/27/2014 7:12 pm)

7/27/2014 7:20 pm  #156

Great to meet you, Steve! Welcome aboard. Feel free to start a new thread, contribute to a current thread, or ressurect a thread that's been dormant.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

7/27/2014 9:09 pm  #157

Welcome aboard Allen and Steve. Happy to have you!

7/27/2014 10:58 pm  #158

SteveMND wrote:

Greets, all.  Steve here; been tabletop gaming for upwards of 30 years now, from running my Dad through the world of Greyhawk as a wee kid, on in through RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu and into Pathfinder and a host of other random systems.

A friend of mine had gotten involved in a gaming group that happened to have just started up an AS&SH campaign. I hopped in to see what was what, had fun, ordered a copy of the PM, and they pointed me here for additional questions on lore and such like that I might happen to have.

Welcome Steve!  Glad to see you on the forums!

7/28/2014 8:27 am  #159

Welcome, welcome!
--Ron--

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

10/24/2014 4:47 pm  #160

Hello all! My Name is Del Teigeler, I am a professional Firefighter by day, and an Illustrator the rest of my time. I have played Mentzer, 1e, 2e and alot of other RPGs as well. I first saw AS&SH in the pages of Gygax Magazine, and heard about it on several forums/blogs. Jeff (Ghul) contacted me recently to help illustrate one of the modules that will be arriving soon. "Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess." 

While I have yet to pick up a copy of the boxed set of AS&SH I plan on doing that soon. 

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.