!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2019 3:40 am  #521

Re: Introduction Thread

A dream come true!

Yes a great mixture of S&S, fantasy and horror writers; a great game...

Welcome.

8/31/2019 7:16 am  #522

RollingWithAdvantage wrote:

I just found this game yesterday and I’m excited to try it. My buddy got me hooked reading Appendix N and I’m in love with Clark Ashton Smith, Robert Howard and Lovecraft. I’ve been longing to play an older edition of DnD and this looks just amazing.

Welcome!

RollingWithAdvantage wrote:

I grew up on AD&D but are there any general tips to get started with ASSH?

Sounds like you have an ideal background, no tips necessary, though we are all happy to help if anyone comes up. We have a good bunch here.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/01/2019 3:47 pm  #523

Welcome Trevor!
You should YouTube your transition! As you learn, teach those watching your channel.
Ask folks around here for some advice too, as I think you're doing already.

Be well and have fun!
--Ron--

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

9/01/2019 3:50 pm  #524

I’m already lining up some content. The more I learn about this game and the community the more I love it.

Session zero already planned for this week!

9/01/2019 3:57 pm  #525

Awesome!
Links Trevor! Please.

9/03/2019 7:42 pm  #526

My book came in today and it is a thing of beauty. I FaceTimed with a buddy and we geeked out about the art alone for like half an hour.

I’m simply amazed at the level detail that was put into this game. I’ll be posting some content on my YouTube channel very soon.

9/05/2019 8:24 pm  #527

Welcome to the board RollingWithAdvantage!

9/09/2019 7:54 am  #528

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sean and I just discovered 2e AS&SH recently when introduced to it by a friend who is using it to DM our current campaign.  As you might have guessed Derek the Hunter is my first and current character, a Huntsman, obviously.   

I started gaming back in '83 with B/X and moved on to 1e AD&D about a year later.  We also played a decent amount of Car Wars, Gamma World, Top Secret and James Bond.  I'm currently running a 1e AD&D and 4e Gamma World hybrid campaign in addition to playing in the AS&SH group.  Like many I took a break from gaming in my 20's, but came back to it when 3e was released.  At first I really liked some of the ideas introduced but as we levelled up the game's warts showed themselves to full effect and soured me probably permanently on d20 games.  After another hiatus I started playing 1e again about a year and a half ago when my daughter's boyfriend asked me to teach it to them (they were playing 5e at the time). 

Anyway, here I am now playing AS&SH and absolutely love it!  It keeps all of the good parts of 1e and fixes most of the "quirks", particularly the multi-classing/demi-humans/level limits issues.  If I had it at the time I would have absolutely used it in conjunction with Gamma World instead of using 1e.  I may yet figure out how to start working it in... 

The only constructive criticism I have so far is that I think more could/should have been done with Races and Secondary Skills.  As presented the Secondary Skills feel like an afterthought, kind of tacked on just so something was there.  Ideally, each race (or perhaps some groupings) should have it's own table to pick from or roll for which I think I'll start working on in my free time.  I've also started working on a Fighter/Thief hybrid along the lines of a Treasure Hunter/Indiana Jones-type, upping the fighting aspect over thieves but removing stealth-based skills (so many classes have stealth already) and gaining a chance to identify both the value and special properties of items, including magical. Class name suggestions welcome.    

Again, absolutely LOVE the game.  I've been introduced to many fantasy games over the years including other retro-clones, but for me none were worth investing any time and money into...until now, of course!    

Sean

Last edited by Derek_the_Hunter (9/09/2019 8:16 am)

9/09/2019 8:05 am  #529

Welcome aboard, Sean! We are a good crew here. 

9/09/2019 8:06 am  #530

Welcome Sean!
Your history sounds familiar to many of us here
And this:

Derek_the_Hunter wrote:

If I had it at the time I would have absolutely used it in conjunction with Gamma World instead of using 1e.  I may yet figure out how to start working it in... 

is something I'd really love to see! I've never really played GW though have played Metamorphosis Alpha at a con or two.
Anyway, welcome and well met! :D
--Ron--

9/09/2019 8:45 am  #531

Thank you both! 

Hi Ron!  I post occasionally on dragonsfoot as Quetzalcoatl, but not very often.  Most of the discussions tend to be about the minutiae of the rules, which was never a big concern for me.  When in doubt we just used common sense to determine a ruling, much as AS&SH suggests in the way it handles skill checks. 

Blending Gamma World and AS&SH from a concept perspective would probably just mean adding the presence of mutations, physical and mental, to what is already a solid AS&SH core and erring a bit on the side of a lower-magic campaign.  I've been using more Gamma World with some AD&D injected but if I had AS&SH at the time I probably would have gone with the AS&SH base and blended in some Gamma World.  4e Gamma World is based closely on 2e AD&D so any conversions are relatively simple.  It's been fun but with some expected hiccups along the way.  It's my first real attempt at blending games/genres.   

Last edited by Derek_the_Hunter (9/09/2019 8:47 am)

9/09/2019 9:06 am  #532

Derek_the_Hunter wrote:

Hi Ron!  I post occasionally on dragonsfoot as Quetzalcoatl, but not very often.  Most of the discussions tend to be about the minutiae of the rules, which was never a big concern for me.  When in doubt we just used common sense to determine a ruling, much as AS&SH suggests in the way it handles skill checks. 

Yes! I recognize the username, but yes if more members over there just harkened to the common sense rule, it would be a pleasanter place , but big tents and all that.

While having read alot of AS&SH I've never actually played a game yet. I've got WSmith (not sure if he's on these forums) in Jersey too who loves DMing the game. Once our schedules sync, it'll be a good time! Looking forward to seeing/reading your stuff Sean!

9/09/2019 3:02 pm  #533

rredmond wrote:

While having read alot of AS&SH I've never actually played a game yet. I've got WSmith (not sure if he's on these forums) in Jersey too who loves DMing the game. Once our schedules sync, it'll be a good time! Looking forward to seeing/reading your stuff Sean!

Well, how about that?  I'm in SJ, too.  I'll PM you. 

9/10/2019 2:54 pm  #534

Welcome Sean! Glad you found the game!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/22/2019 7:29 am  #535

Welcome new people! Glad you all enjoy the game as much as the rest of us here!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

1/13/2020 7:35 pm  #536

My names Eric Webb and I started gaming in 79 with the basic set. At least I think it was 79? Anyway I love AS&SH and all the fiction it’s based on.

1/13/2020 8:21 pm  #537

Welcome, Eric! I think you will find we have a good crew here, so feel free to speak up if you want to chat about anything. 

1/14/2020 5:17 am  #538

Welcome Eric: we've got lots of convivial AS&SH-savvy folks here, with lots of great ideas for and knowledge of the game.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/14/2020 9:18 am  #539

Welcome Eric! 'tis a good place to be. :D
--Ron--

1/14/2020 9:21 am  #540

Ericwebb wrote:

My names Eric Webb and I started gaming in 79 with the basic set. At least I think it was 79? Anyway I love AS&SH and all the fiction it’s based on.

Welcome aboard. There are alot of us "Old Timers" here. I started in '76 at around 9 years old...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.