!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2016 6:04 am  #1

Berserkers and Fire Immunity

I've gotten curious how others might've handled the situation; especially because it was one of the most memorable fights in our campaign.

The party (average level 3) faced a pretty deadly purple worm in relatively open terrain. Discussing multiple tactics, they ultimately decided upon the following: the berserker goes into rage, other party members ignite him with oil, berserker fights the worm in melee (while others fire arrows at it from a distance), probably gets swallowed (hopefully the fire at least deals one tick of damage before going out), cuts himself out.

(In the end, he cut himself out with a single strike, plus I rolled rather poorly for the worm's hit points (like I usually do with big monsters...), so crazy player tactics proved successful yet again.

5/21/2016 11:04 am  #2

Re: Berserkers and Fire Immunity

Well, just from a pure role-playing perspective, I can't see the raging berserker standing still whilst his companions douse him in oil and set him alight.

5/21/2016 12:32 pm  #3

DMPrata wrote:

Well, just from a pure role-playing perspective, I can't see the raging berserker standing still whilst his companions douse him in oil and set him alight.

Normally I never tell a player that his PC can't attempt a certain action (success is another matter) but in this case I agree.  An enraged berserker is not under full PC control and wouldn't just stand still for this.  Most likely I would have required him to attack the PC who tossed oil on him - potentially igniting that poor sap.
Regardless, if the players try this trick too many times, definitely have it blow up in their faces.  Players should never be able to fully rely on "combos", "buffs", or "stacks" in an Old School game, and they should have to constantly come up with fresh ideas.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (5/21/2016 12:33 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/21/2016 12:40 pm  #4

Yeah, once the berserker goes all rage, then it is a out of control and NOT standing still.  Now, if the other PCs want to try to douse it as it runs at the worm, then good luck!

5/21/2016 7:59 pm  #5

Except for it being funny I really don't see the purpose of setting the Berserker on fire.  

For me it raises the question of what is normal fire?  Can the Berserker run through lava?  How about a steam geyser?  I can see him running through a burning woods or building or even over burning coals without harm.  But soaked with oil and set alight?  Not sure about that but the rule does say normal fire.  Just thinking out loud.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/21/2016 8:01 pm  #6

Blackadder23 wrote:

Regardless, if the players try this trick too many times, definitely have it blow up in their faces.  Players should never be able to fully rely on "combos", "buffs", or "stacks" in an Old School game, and they should have to constantly come up with fresh ideas.

I agree. Everything should be situation or the game becomes rote.  Working once does not guarantee future results.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/21/2016 10:29 pm  #7

Oh, I would surely inform the enraged berserker that the party member who doused him is now his enemy for the rage! And I'd smile all the while. But heck, this is your Hyperborea campaign, Mr. Midgard, so do as thou wilt!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/22/2016 9:43 am  #8

At the same time, if you're on fire, you've already won.

5/22/2016 2:22 pm  #9

Midgard, I absolutely love it when the players attempt crazy stunts (the dumber the better), so I certainly wouldn't tell them up front that it wasn't possible, though I would probably hint pretty bluntly that it might not go exactly as planned.

"Wait, so let me get this straight... you want to light an enraged, bloodthirsty berserker on fire as part of your plan? Are you serious? OK, this ought to be interesting!"

If they still insist, then I'd tell them the odds of the berserker turning on the party (situational) and we'd play it out normally from there. I can't see it becoming a regular tactic, at least not how I run my games. They'd never really know how easily it might backfire and I think that would dissuade them from doing it except maybe if they had nothing to lose.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.