!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/26/2015 7:20 am  #1

Best and worst of 2015?

So, with only a few days left in the year, give us your best and worst of 2015. Can be RPG products (or game sessions), books, movies, music, art, beer, cigars, video games, sports events, television shows, or even blog posts or forum threads. Anything memorably good or bad counts, but absolutely no politics

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/26/2015 8:50 am  #2

Re: Best and worst of 2015?

I mostly watched movies of past eons (from the 2002 wuxia masterpiece Hero to the romantic trilogy Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight) and played a lot of League of Legends, so nothing really 2015-ish there.

As for RPGs, we had quite a couple of fantastic moments, but the best one was the "Epic of Archie" in our Dwimmermount campaign. Archie was a simple torchbearer the party hired around their first or second delve. In my games, hirelings always start as nameless NPCs and they "earn" a name after their first successful adventure, so he became Archie, and then later Burning Archie to reflect his torchbearer status, even though he was promoted to become a first level thief (with 1d4-2 hit points because of his poor Constitution). After several delves into the megadungeon, the party was fighting this large group of kobolds. One of the party members threw a flask of flaming oil into the fight - natural 1, of course. We randomly determined whom he hit straight, and it was Archie. So he burnt to death. It was hilarious and sad at the same time. Sadder than a player character dying, to be honest.

A close contester would be the death of Aresius, a second level cleric. The second random green slime in a row that surprises the party and randomly attacks the same character. The first one he survived. The second he did not.

Best music of 2015 for me was Aldgillissoan, the new album by Dutch band Baldrs Draumar. Fantastic metal music, and I love listening to Frisian (well, all Germanic languages give me the chills, to be honest; maybe not English, but that's because it's so abundantly present in my life).

EDIT: Oh, and even though boardgame of the year would be definitely Kill the Overlord, the best boardgaming moment this year I had was just yesterday's Condottiere. Three of us were contesting our last region to win the game and everyone was just dealt a new hand. My totalled army was something like 40, while everyone could muster a potential 60+ points - but they were so afraid of someone bishopping their largest cards they played it safe. The second round I won by playing a Surrender card so I won - with only a single Mercenary of strength 5 on the table, nonetheless. Everyone was so mad at me :D

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (12/26/2015 8:56 am)

12/26/2015 11:00 am  #3

Ynas Midgard wrote:

I mostly watched movies of past eons (from the 2002 wuxia masterpiece Hero to the romantic trilogy Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight) and played a lot of League of Legends, so nothing really 2015-ish there.

No worries! You are still welcome to say, "Most enjoyable movie moment this year was X, from 19xx, because blah blah blah."

Ynas Midgard wrote:

IAs for RPGs, we had quite a couple of fantastic moments, but the best one was the "Epic of Archie" in our Dwimmermount campaign. Archie was a simple torchbearer the party hired around their first or second delve. In my games, hirelings always start as nameless NPCs and they "earn" a name after their first successful adventure, so he became Archie, and then later Burning Archie to reflect his torchbearer status, even though he was promoted to become a first level thief (with 1d4-2 hit points because of his poor Constitution). After several delves into the megadungeon, the party was fighting this large group of kobolds. One of the party members threw a flask of flaming oil into the fight - natural 1, of course. We randomly determined whom he hit straight, and it was Archie. So he burnt to death. It was hilarious and sad at the same time. Sadder than a player character dying, to be honest.

Nice! In my AD&D game that ran from 2011-2013, we had some memorable hirelings. I can relate.

Ynas Midgard wrote:

IA close contester would be the death of Aresius, a second level cleric. The second random green slime in a row that surprises the party and randomly attacks the same character. The first one he survived. The second he did not.

Oops!

Ynas Midgard wrote:

IBest music of 2015 for me was Aldgillissoan, the new album by Dutch band Baldrs Draumar. Fantastic metal music, and I love listening to Frisian (well, all Germanic languages give me the chills, to be honest; maybe not English, but that's because it's so abundantly present in my life).

I'll have to check these guys out. Thanks!

Ynas Midgard wrote:

IEDIT: Oh, and even though boardgame of the year would be definitely Kill the Overlord, the best boardgaming moment this year I had was just yesterday's Condottiere. Three of us were contesting our last region to win the game and everyone was just dealt a new hand. My totalled army was something like 40, while everyone could muster a potential 60+ points - but they were so afraid of someone bishopping their largest cards they played it safe. The second round I won by playing a Surrender card so I won - with only a single Mercenary of strength 5 on the table, nonetheless. Everyone was so mad at me :D

I don't play enough boardgames, maybe I will give these two a look. 

12/26/2015 11:32 am  #4

Gamingwise, I think playing through Ghost Ship was a highlight. Probably that and on off-the-cuff thew-wagon hunt the party went on with some lizard-people braves. Meeting several of you fine folks at GaryCon was pretty sweet, too.

Oh, also, I found Into the Odd this year, which is a pretty sweet little RPG. Worth checking out!

Worst part of gaming was that the home group got in only nineteen sessions. Our goal is twenty-four, so that was a little disappointing.

New books and writers I found this year that were very good: Ann Leckie, Laird Barron, Howard's El Borak stuff, Hannu Rajaniemi's The Quantum Thief, and Christopher Priest's The Adjacent. Oh, and Stevenson's Weir of Hermistoun. Love that guy so much. Though reading that one did keep XTC's "Mayor of Simpleton" stuck in my head whenever I saw the cover.

Worst book I read was undoubtedly that Gygax "biography" Empire of Imagination.

Ms. Haversack and I got health-insurance married, which was a fun day though removed a valued element of my general contrariness from my whole contrary gestalt.

Ms. Haversack and I have been playing a lot of Splendor two-player and Spartacus when we have a person or two over. Both excellent board games.

I rewatched Firefly and Community. Twice. Each. What?

And I have to say that finally organizing all my gaming stuff onto one shelf where (for now) it is actually rationalized and arranged felt like a personal triumph! Though I inherited the shelves that made it possible from really good friends who moved out the country. So, you know, bittersweet.

I actually managed to get my act together and register to run a couple of games at GaryCon--and browbeat Chainsaw into risking his job to come there. That's a point!

I'm going to try to write a coherent adventure in 2016 instead of my normal spontaneous confabulation of nightmares and jerky NPCs.

And the domestication of the dog proceeds apace.

12/26/2015 12:07 pm  #5

Some 2015 highlights for Ghul:

* Iron Maiden's "Book of Souls" double album
* Hyperborea Adventure Three-Pack Kickstarter success and fulfillment
* The epic series finale of "Falling Skies" (yes, I'm aware of the show's plethora of plot holes, but I still enjoyed it)
* The new show "The Last Kingdom," which I hope continues
* Running Corey Walden's "Anthropophagi of Xamboola" (a future AS&SH adventure) for my crew
* My son making the middle school basketball team 
* My daughter starting the viola and taking to it like a fish in water
* Sam Adams Rebel IPA
* Moving into a new house and loving it
* The Patriots winning the Superbowl

The worst of 2015:

* Blowing the engine of my car 10 days before Christmas and having to drop a used motor in it for a ridiculous amount of money

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/26/2015 12:31 pm  #6

Ghul wrote:

* The Patriots winning the Superbowl

Last refuge of the scoundrel.

Sigh. Go Jets.

12/26/2015 5:20 pm  #7

Highlights:
My new job
Rush's R40 concert: man, they can still flat-out play
Meeting Ghul, Handy & Big Perm at Sticks and Stones, playing in AoX
Showing my 9-year old how to paint miniatures and having him state "Dad, isn't this good father-son quality time: painting miniatures and talking about D&D?" Yes, yes it is...
Monday Night Brewing's Bed Head: IPA + Coffee = my only 5-star Untappd beer

And because it bears repeating, the Patriots winning the Superbowl: oderint dum metuant 
Lowlights:
My old job: they'll regret it to their dying days, should they live that long.
Deflategate: a bunch of hot air over hot air, but in the end I suspect someone is lying...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/27/2015 8:37 am  #8

Highlights
- My son talking a lot more
- First family vacation at the beach
- D&D: Catching up with everyone at Gary Con/NTRPG Con (too many names to list!), Handy Haversack running Jason Sholtis' Operation Unfathomable at Gary Con, working on my own adventure
- Beer: DuClaw's Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter (also, now at 317 on my T-Mac beer count)
- Food: my wife's new lobster macaroni and cheese
- Books: Vance's Planet of Adventure series, Centipede Press' Kane Collection
- Movies: Mad Max: Fury Road, Sicario, The Martian, Ex Machina, John Wick
- TV: Daredevil, The Last Kingdom, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.

Lowlights
- My son's afternoon naps becoming less frequent
- Realizing I now need two days to recover from a night of heavy revelry
- Exercising less than I wanted
- D&D: Not having a regular D&D game, missing Carnage Con
- Music: Realizing I'll never see RUSH live
- Movies: Too many to list!
- TV: True Detective Season Two

1/04/2016 7:56 pm  #9

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ms. Haversack and I have been playing a lot of Splendor two-player and Spartacus when we have a person or two over. Both excellent board games.

Nice, I thought Ms. Haversack enjoyed Splendor upstairs in the Zoo that day. She seemed to have a knack for the strategy involved. It is the most frequent game requested by my wife also, on the rare occurrence she is the one suggesting we play a game.

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/04/2016 8:39 pm  #10

Worst thing that happened in 2015 by far, the passing of Lemmy Kilmister. R.I.P. You played it straight to the end and I am glad to have stood 15' in front of you once.

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/05/2016 11:49 am  #11

Yes that was a very sad moment. That night me and my friends went strait to the bar and ordered a Jack & Coke in his honor.

1/05/2016 8:04 pm  #12

Mortificateur wrote:

Yes that was a very sad moment. That night me and my friends went strait to the bar and ordered a Jack & Coke in his honor.

That was a cool little tribute. I have a tablet and a cheap $20 plug in speaker set. Before I get into the shower each morning since he passed  I pull up a complete Motorhead album on youtube and crank up the volume.

1/05/2016 11:33 pm  #13

Highlights:
- Gary Con, my very first Con. Had a blast meeting everyone and letting them know what a tyrant Handy is. I mean +0 swords, come on.
- Sticks and Stones Con. My second Con.
- Playing D&D and board games with my 8 and 5 year old sons. My 8 year old is becoming a fierce board gamer. Like Rhialto's son said, "
good father-son quality time".
- Handy unleashing his twisted/fabulous imagination in our regular game. What a blast, we're lucky to have him as a DM.
- Only getting in 19 home games this year. Guess this can be put in the "First World Problems" category.
- visiting family in Texas and Virginia
- finally joining that kick boxing gym I've been meaning to join for the last 5 years.
Lowlights:
- Not reading nearly enough, will rectify this in 2016
- Over hearing my 5 year old's friend asking if I was his grandfather. Damn this l
uxurious gray beard.
- Some long time gaming buddies moving to California

1/06/2016 10:40 pm  #14

Highlights
-Getting to visit Angkor Wat, Bagan and Borobudur. 
-Seeing all my old friends and meeting new ones at Garycon. 
-Getting to run two campaigns at once
-Finally getting my wife to play a game (though she was one of the more hostile players I've ever had!)
Lowlights
-Putting D&D on hiatus while living in SE Asia
-Knowing I'll never get to see Motorhead live (currently growing some friendly muttonchops in memorium)
-The Ducks seemingly not able to maintain more than one competent QB or Center on their roster

1/08/2016 12:46 pm  #15

lige wrote:

Highlights
-Getting to visit Angkor Wat, Bagan and Borobudur. 
-Seeing all my old friends and meeting new ones at Garycon. 
-Getting to run two campaigns at once
-Finally getting my wife to play a game (though she was one of the more hostile players I've ever had!)

All very cool, lige! Looking forward to gaming and drinking again this year!

BigPerm wrote:

Highlights:
- Gary Con, my very first Con. Had a blast meeting everyone and letting them know what a tyrant Handy is. I mean +0 swords, come on.

You have no idea how much stink I'm going to put on your dice this weekend. There's going to be so much DM coming off them they won't even let you in a dice store. Years from now, D&D players will tear themselves out of nightmares where all their dice rolled only negative numbers, and your name will echo in their minds.

Also, no more +0 swords for you.

BigPerm wrote:

- Handy unleashing his twisted/fabulous imagination in our regular game. What a blast, we're lucky to have him as a DM.

OK. One more +0 sword.

BigPerm wrote:

- Over hearing my 5 year old's friend asking if I was his grandfather. Damn this luxurious gray beard.
- Some long time gaming buddies moving to California

I hope your premature aging didn't drive them away. I miss those guys!

1/09/2016 3:20 pm  #16

Take any gamer stank outside.

1/18/2016 11:25 pm  #17

Ghul wrote:

* Running Corey Walden's "Anthropophagi of Xamboola" (a future AS&SH adventure) for my crew

Wow, high praise indeed. Thanks!

Highlights:

— Finishing my Master's Thesis and being awarded first class honours.
— Presenting my first academic paper.
— Winning a travel competition, thus allowing my wife and I to get back to the States for Christmas/New Years.
— Doing LOTS of gaming and related writing, including finishing the playtest booklet for Tombstone (thanks Joseph!), releasing a few low-key adventures independently, playing in a Fallout-inspired Savage Worlds game, running the aforementioned Hyperborean adventure/campaign, running OD&D, playing Star Wars sci-fi, playing Labyrinth Lord in a G+ game.

...so very good year.

Resolutions:

— Begin my PhD.
— Publish two academic articles.
— Read and write everyday.
— Finish a certain adventure for Jeff ;)
— Finish Tombstone (thanks Joseph and Seb!)
— Continue with a new project.

1/21/2016 8:31 pm  #18

Rastus_Burne wrote:

— Finishing my Master's Thesis and being awarded first class honours.

Congratulations for everything, but especially this. Fantastic!

Highlights for me...
*starting a business with my wife
*Having my stepson ask me to play D&D (now how do get out of 5e..?)
*Seeing Forgotten Fane in print and being humbled by the support
*having Jeff ask me to write another
*working with Rastus_Burne on Tombstone, very cool game!
*Discovering Karl Wagner (thanks Chainsaw!) and Leigh Brackett (thanks Kindle!)

Lowlights:
Losing my dad in November and my father-in-law back in June.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.