!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2014 10:19 am  #1

Howard Pyle

Howard Pyle

Both illustrator and writer, Pyle was an amazing artist. So far I have only read three of his books, but his Merry Adventures of Robin Hood was probably the first non-children's book I ever read. For me it is the best of books and I've managed to hang onto that copy of it all my life. Men of Iron comes a close second. They made a rather enjoyable light movie out of it with Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh, but as with most Hollywood versions it has little to do with the book. The book has much more grit to it and much less pastel costumes and jumping about and tin plate armor suits. For the rest of his work I remember the Arthurian Legends vaguely but favorably (though I am not a big fan of the Arthurian tales).

Pyle is definitely the sword of sword and sorcery and his illustrations are some of the best I've ever seen.

A Modern Aladdin
Arthurian Legends
The Garden Behind the Moon
The Ghost of Captain Brand
Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates
Men of Iron
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
Otto of the Silver Hand
Pepper and Salt
The Price of Blood
Rejected of Men
The Rose of Paradise
The Ruby of Kishmoor
Stolen Treasure
The Story of Jack Ballister's Fortunes
Twilight Land
Within the Capes
The Wonder Clock, with his sister Katharine Pyle

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.