!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/24/2015 8:26 am  #101

Re: Gary Con VIII (2016)

Chainsaw wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Hey Morgan, what days/times are your events?

Here is my schedule sir!

Those sound great man. I'm leaning toward your Thurs 6PM game, if it works out. We will see!

I would look forward to that! I'm glad you could wrangle the schedule to be there!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/24/2015 12:01 pm  #102

OK, I submitted two events. I suppose I could run Beyond the Ice Fall again, too, or run the dungeon section of Ghost Ship. But I figured suddenly I'd play Joe's awesome Beyond the Ice Fall from scalydemon's AFS.
Beyond the Ice Fall
March 3, 2016 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
The long year of darkness is over, but ice still grips Hyperborea. Wolves and other, stranger things rove in the darkness, only slowly retreating as the red sun begins to reappear. In your village, the skills you honed during the long darkness are suddenly needed. The ship of Hallstan the Wayfarer is overdue, and Geirmund Hawk-Beak fears it was lost in the sudden late snows of the past few days, a strange blizzard that chased the warming winds away with savage fury. While the rest of the villagers guard against wolves and other mundane threats, he asks your band to find out what has happened to Hallstan and bring him to the village.

Beyond the Ice Fall is an adventure by Joe Salvador for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, orginally published in AFS no. 6. An adventure for 4-8 beginning characters, which will be provided.

Also: I'm going to run a session of Into the Odd on Sunday. I'll have it on hand with a couple of adventures prepped, so hopefully anyone interested can play earlier in the con, too:

Into the Odd: Strange Stars Underground
March 6, 2016 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Under the city of Bastion, strange secrets lurk, intelligences from beyond the world of mortals. Those who dare to risk all might find strange powers–or gruesome death.
This game will introduce players to Into the Odd, a game of exploration into the forgotten spaces of an ancient world, with a focus on problem solving and fast, deadly combat.

We’ll spend five minutes generating characters and then plunge right Into the Odd.

“Into the Odd contains everything you need to create a character and explore an industrial world of cosmic meddlers and horrific hazards. This is a fast, simple game, to challenge your wits rather than your understanding of complex rules.

“You seek Arcana, strange devices hosting unnatural powers beyond technology. They range from the smallest ring to vast machines, with powers from petty to godlike. Beside these unnatural items that they may acquire, your characters remain grounded as mortals in constant danger.”

See http://soogagames.blogspot.com/2014/11/into-odd-full-version-print-and-pdf.html

Last edited by Handy Haversack (12/24/2015 12:03 pm)

12/24/2015 2:22 pm  #103

Great stuff, Handy. I had a lot of fun running Beyond the Ice Fall for my crew. Joe did a great job with that.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/24/2015 2:48 pm  #104

Ghul wrote:

Great stuff, Handy. I had a lot of fun running Beyond the Ice Fall for my crew. Joe did a great job with that.

I felt the same way when we ran it here. Some of the characters still bear the scars! I was thinking about running part of Ghost Ship, but this felt more self-contained. I'm still new to running things for other people, too.

12/24/2015 2:49 pm  #105

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I felt the same way when we ran it here. Some of the characters still bear the scars! I was thinking about running part of Ghost Ship, but this felt more self-contained. I'm still new to running things for other people, too.

You did a great job last year man, I would not sweat it. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/24/2015 4:59 pm  #106

Stockholm Syndrome, Chainsaw! 118^2 points of damage will do that.

12/24/2015 5:18 pm  #107

Talked to Luke. He is happy to hear about all the AS&SH events, and he's going to look into unifying all the variations of the game name.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/24/2015 5:31 pm  #108

Ghul wrote:

Talked to Luke. He is happy to hear about all the AS&SH events, and he's going to look into unifying all the variations of the game name.

Good stuff. That may come in handy when people begin doing event searches as they prepare to register.

1/08/2016 9:05 am  #109

Chainsaw wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Good stuff. That may come in handy when people begin doing event searches as they prepare to register.

Beg pardon?

BigPerm, Taddich, and I have our plane tickets! And Monkeydono is registrated. Let's do this thing.

1/08/2016 9:24 am  #110

Handy Haversack wrote:

BigPerm, Taddich, and I have our plane tickets! And Monkeydono is registrated. Let's do this thing.

Nice!

Bought my plane ticket yesterday. Arriving Weds at 348PM and should be at the hotel by 530PM. Open to dinner with anyone who's around. Usually a bunch of us go to Popeyes, a local spot for food and a few beers. Leaving Sunday on 1056AM flight, so probably be on the road early.

1/08/2016 3:11 pm  #111

Handy Haversack wrote:

stocking up on beer, lots of beer...

*raises bastard sword above the next fungus sniffer*

...before fatidic silver pools on a auspicious night stood a Hyperborean Xathoqquan priestess; stripping naked like a beast crawling in on all fours in supplication...

1/09/2016 12:49 pm  #112

Monkeydono wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

stocking up on beer, lots of beer...

Probably wise. Er, "wise."

1/09/2016 1:25 pm  #113

I've been scraping the gary site for event info and kludged together a web app to do better/searching/filtering of them:

http://gizmomathboy.com/

I have a generic account available: gary/gygax

I don't have automatic account creation in there so pm me if you want your own account.

You can save your searches/filters on the generic account but you might want to make the saved search unique to you, like "gizmo assh ghul" so you don't conflict with other saved searches.

It's still a work in progress so don't be too surprised if it goes dead or something. No guarantee that saved searches and such will stick if things go awry (so like other software ;-)

What? Me worry?

1/12/2016 4:39 pm  #114

This is cool, a link to a summary of all the Hyperborea games at Gary Con.

http://garycon.com/tag/astonishing-swordsmen-sorcerers-of-hyperborea/

1/19/2016 9:35 pm  #115

**** IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ****

"Melf on the Gary Con forum" wrote:

Event Registration is set for Saturday 23 January barring any unforseen issues. The Event List will be Available in full Wednesday 20 Jan!

So stay tuned. It's a short flash to bang this year given the earlier date and time required for printing badges and tickets.

Unclear exactly what time it starts Saturday, but I'm sure it will be made clear soon. Keep an eye out on the Gary Con forum. Let's all be sure to post any specific updates here as soon as we see them. Thanks!

1/20/2016 8:30 am  #116

Thanks, Chainsaw!

And gizmomathboy has been posting very useful CSV files on the GaryCon forum that have all the registered games. He might even do another after they finalize the roster today.

M

1/20/2016 4:15 pm  #117

Chainsaw wrote:

Event Registration is set for Saturday 23 January barring any unforseen issues. The Event List will be Available in full Wednesday 20 Jan!

So stay tuned. It's a short flash to bang this year given the earlier date and time required for printing badges and tickets.

Unclear exactly what time it starts Saturday, but I'm sure it will be made clear soon. Keep an eye out on the Gary Con forum. Let's all be sure to post any specific updates here as soon as we see them. Thanks!

Stahlnee says FB says 12PM Saturday.

1/20/2016 7:39 pm  #118

Chainsaw wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Stahlnee says FB says 12PM Saturday.

From the horses mouth:

https://m.facebook.com/GaryConLLC/photos/a.229323623802773.56043.173047496097053/962550293813432/?type=3&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.962550293813432%3Atl_objid.962550293813432

1/21/2016 9:30 am  #119

Yeah. I guess announcing it on their own site would be too much to ask . . .

Anyway, it looks like one's "purse" is now filled in, though I don't see associated costs for games. I can only assume that they're trying to figure out the exchange rate for my games. Gold pieces? Think big, people!

1/21/2016 9:57 am  #120

Handy Haversack wrote:

Yeah. I guess announcing it on their own site would be too much to ask . . .

Anyway, it looks like one's "purse" is now filled in, though I don't see associated costs for games. I can only assume that they're trying to figure out the exchange rate for my games. Gold pieces? Think big, people!

At least try to get something from the 10 gp "New Age rummage sale" list of gems.  Hematite, perhaps, or banded agate.  Maybe even moss agate!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.