!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2015 7:40 am  #61

Re: Hyperborea Trivia

Great Race (Yithain)

MI-GO (Fungus from Yoggoth)

both can use laser pistols or futuristic melee weapons i think.

4/15/2015 7:48 am  #62

The_Great_Lestrade wrote:

Great Race (Yithain)

Hmmmm... I was looking for mi-go, which often use crystal laser pistols, and crab-men, which sometimes have gauntlet-like laser rifles over one claw, but as you point out, the Great Race does use the crystal-tipped iridium rod. Close enough! Floor's yours.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/15/2015 7:50 am  #63

Chainsaw wrote:

Great Race (Yithain)

Hmmmm... I was looking for mi-go, which often use crystal laser pistols, and crab-men, which sometimes have gauntlet-like laser rifles over one claw, but as you point out, the Great Race does use the crystal-tipped iridium rod. Close enough! Floor's yours.

I had crab-men and mi-go. This Great Race situation is a shocker! (Said yet another doomed civilization . . .)

4/15/2015 8:39 am  #64

I'll conceed to Handy, missed the crabmen.

4/15/2015 8:43 am  #65

I'll conceed to Handy, missed the crabmen.

No, no, Lestrade--you should take it. Yithians are legitimate according to the question poser, and I've already had a turn at asking. Your move!

4/15/2015 9:42 am  #66

If you were to hire an alchemist and a locksmith for a year it would cost the same as me. I grant an AC of 8, what am I? 

4/15/2015 10:26 am  #67

If you were to hire an alchemist and a locksmith for a year it would cost the same as me. I grant an AC of 8, what am I? 

Hmmmm....war galley?

The math is a little off though: the cost (30,000 gp) of a war galley (AC 8 if captained by a first through fourth level captain) equals the cost of an alchemist and a locksmith with two levels of open locks ability for twelve months, but not a thirteen month year (32,500 gp). So maybe not.

Or maybe the war galley was purchased used and the boat fax showed front end damage?

4/15/2015 12:10 pm  #68

good point, i was counting 12 month year. Double points! as you are correct I am a War galley.

4/15/2015 12:11 pm  #69

Nice one! I was somehow thinking staff of curing. Glad capitalbill was around to bring us to our senses.

4/15/2015 1:12 pm  #70

In the days of yore I was renowned for my marble and stone.
Disaster was visited upon me when my faith displeased the toad god.
Now my untold mysteries are buried under the basalt and I lie marked by the yellow, white, and purple poppies.

What am I?

4/15/2015 3:14 pm  #71

You're Alus Mercury, the ruined city, aren't you?

4/15/2015 3:53 pm  #72

Ynas Midgard wrote:

You're Alus Mercury, the ruined city, aren't you?

Very good!

From my first perusal of the gazetteer I was intrigued by the write-up of this fallen city. I think it would prove to be a great location for treasure-seeking and adventure. I spent some time planning out a game set in Alus Mercury before my attention wandered elsewhere. Perhaps I will come back around to the ruined city at some point.

4/16/2015 3:09 pm  #73

There is a place favoured by The Shining One and monks of all kind. It is also haunted by banshees. What place is that?

4/16/2015 3:12 pm  #74

Xin! That's where I put the scorpioids, some of which are monks. They have a reasonable working relationship with the banshees.

4/17/2015 9:44 pm  #75

This may sound trivial--but was I right?

4/19/2015 9:11 am  #76

Handy Haversack wrote:

This may sound trivial--but was I right?

Seems right to me (see below), so why don't you take the reigns until Ynas Midgard formally responds.

Referees Manual p217 wrote:

XIN: This windswept, arctic plateau is hostile and uninhabited, a place where whispering winds and howling banshees preside. Xin is renowned as a place where monks (of Law, Chaos, and Neutrality alike) journey for spiritual illumination. Some indeed return enlightened, albeit aged and weathered, whilst others return raving lunatics; others still are seen neither hide nor hair again. It is said that the most brilliant of auroræ spring from Xin, leading some religious scholars to posit that this place is favoured by Auroros, “The Shining One”.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/19/2015 1:14 pm  #77

Which Hyperborean monster was defeated in popular culture by multiple bottles of J&B?

4/19/2015 7:10 pm  #78

Tentacular horror.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/20/2015 6:04 am  #79

That's the thing!

4/20/2015 12:30 pm  #80

In true Greyhawk Folio manner, most of the rulers of Hyperborea are not given proper names in the gazetteer.  So, for example, the Pictish high king is not named, the Witch Queen of Yithorium is not named, neither Amazon Queen is named, the Ixian grand necromancer (or whatever) is not named, and so forth.  Only two rulers of city-states and nations are given proper names in the gazetteer.  One is Gill Sampatose, Lord Mayor of Khromarium.  Who is the other?

(Hint: I'm referring only to city-states and nations, not villages or small islands.)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera