!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2014 6:59 pm  #41

Re: 1st level Adventures

All l I will add is, I think it is important to resist the temptation, as a GM, the notion that you are a "storyteller." Being evocative and getting good at setting a scene with description is paramount, but plotting is the pathway to railroading and railroading kills player agency and cheats players out of true accomplishment.

Ever since the Dragonlance stuff hit the market twenty+ years ago, there has been a noticeable shift toward story based gaming, culminating in things like "adventure paths" and gaming heavily influenced by CRPGs like Baldurs Gate (et al.) and it's understandable, but I truly believe something is lost when we go down this route.

If story, plot and outcomes are really important to a GM, then my advice for that person would be to write short fiction or a novel inspired by your gameworld and gaming sessions to get your fix.

Stories formed from a well run game are a lot like like biographies - order and patterns applied retrospectively to a lot of seemingly unconnected events.

/soapbox

5/21/2014 11:47 pm  #42

NAJones wrote:

Stories formed from a well run game are a lot like like biographies - order and patterns applied retrospectively to a lot of seemingly unconnected events.

Another word for that, my friend, is "life."

5/22/2014 12:13 am  #43

I really like Jeff's 'The Lamia's Heart' adventure as an urban intro to a campaign.

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

5/22/2014 2:40 am  #44

NAJones wrote:

All l I will add is, I think it is important to resist the temptation, as a GM, the notion that you are a "storyteller." Being evocative and getting good at setting a scene with description is paramount, but plotting is the pathway to railroading and railroading kills player agency and cheats players out of true accomplishment.

Ever since the Dragonlance stuff hit the market twenty+ years ago, there has been a noticeable shift toward story based gaming, culminating in things like "adventure paths" and gaming heavily influenced by CRPGs like Baldurs Gate (et al.) and it's understandable, but I truly believe something is lost when we go down this route.

That's kind of why I generally don't like published modules. They tend to all fall in one of two extremes. The New School adventures have only one possible outcome and no choice which fights to pick or to avoid. Best case scenario is that you're allowed to pick the order in which you go through all the fights.
But almost all Old School modules I've seen simply hand you a dungeon full with almost entirely hostile inhabitants and usually no real good reason what you're trying to accomplish there. And if there is a goal, it's finding the main villain and defeating him. Yes, you can negotiate with some monsters to be allowed to pass without a fight, or there may be alternative passages to avoid certain sections of the dungeon entirely. But still, as written, the modules don't have anything to "accomplish", other than fighting and surviving.

But I think it isn't neccessary in any way to go with either of these extremes. You can let players make meaningful descisions and strategies, while still having progress and accomplishment in shaping the events that are happening in the world.
Provide the players with a goal, but not neccessarily with a specific way to do it. It's not a terrible thing to tell the players that their goal is to remove the commander of a band of mercenaries working for the enemy, if you don't force them to kill him as the only solution. The characters have to go to the mercenary camp, but what they do in that camp is left to them. Yes, it takes away a descision from them to go to the camp or not, but so what? It's a very minor sacrifice that players can totally live with without problem, which brings the significant advantage that the GM can prepare the adventuring location and the people there with much more detail.
Also, and this is directly from Old School modules, dungeons or other adventuring areas must always be a web and never a tube. If there is only one way to go and that way is blocked by a monster, then the monster has to be fought and defeated, or there will be no game. And players will instantly know that the monster is defeatable, and the GM will probably help a lot to make sure it will be defeated, or there would be no game. And any form of tactics becomes pointless. By always offering more than one way, players need to judge risk and possible gain, and decide if they dare a danger or try to avoid it. Choice is only meaningful if you can chose between two or more options that are clearly different. Go left or right is not a meaningful choice. Go through the spider nest or go through the magically dark tunnel is a choice.

I think if you just follow these two rules, you can still have a game that provides 90% of the freedom of a totally freeform game. And as a trade to play a meaningful role in larger scale events, I think that's entirely worth it.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

5/22/2014 6:19 am  #45

Yora wrote:

But almost all Old School modules I've seen simply hand you a dungeon full with almost entirely hostile inhabitants and usually no real good reason what you're trying to accomplish there.

Looting the site is a typical default objective in the early modules.  (Note that this is distinct from killing anything or everything that you find there.  Loot is where the real XP comes from!)

There was also often (but not always) an assumption that you should be able to plug (non-tournament) modules into your own campaign and define your own objectives as part of how they connect to the rest of your world.  In that context, defined objectives and backstory are counterproductive, because they're likely to conflict with existing details of your world.

Yora wrote:

If there is only one way to go and that way is blocked by a monster, then the monster has to be fought and defeated, or there will be no game. And players will instantly know that the monster is defeatable, and the GM will probably help a lot to make sure it will be defeated, or there would be no game.

Those players would get to watch their characters die in my game.  You've forgotten that there is another option, even if an unbeatable monster is blocking the path to the objective:

Leave.

Maybe you can gain a few levels and come back when you're strong enough to handle it.  Maybe you can hire enough retainers to take it down by sheer numbers.  Maybe there's a sage who can tell you the monster's weakness.  And maybe there will be other problems caused by the delay in completing your original objective.

But if you just charge in on the assumption that, if it's there, it must be defeatable and that I'll help to make that happen... well, it's your funeral.

Yora wrote:

By always offering more than one way, players need to judge risk and possible gain, and decide if they dare a danger or try to avoid it. Choice is only meaningful if you can chose between two or more options that are clearly different. Go left or right is not a meaningful choice. Go through the spider nest or go through the magically dark tunnel is a choice.

I completely agree with all of this.  And saying "Screw this, it's too dangerous!" (or even "We're not being paid enugh to deal with this.") and going to find something else to do is also a valid and meaningful choice.

Yora wrote:

I think if you just follow these two rules, you can still have a game that provides 90% of the freedom of a totally freeform game. And as a trade to play a meaningful role in larger scale events,

The two are not mutually exclusive.

My current campaign has the PCs founding a colony on an unexplored island.  They're free to explore, attack, find trade partners among the natives, etc. as they see fit.  I'm doing nothing to direct them, unless you count an occasional random rumor about NPCs having spotted wildlife/monsters nearby.  (I don't count those rumors because their intended purpose is to inform the players about what creatures are in the area, not to tell them what to do next; my players understand this and have basically ignored the rumors so far.)

But they also play a meaningful role in larger events.  Not only are they directing the colony's development and managing its resources, they're also the ones responsible for securing territory for the colony to expand into, leading its defense against any incoming attacks, and working out how to deal with whatever other problems arise.

Just because the players are completely free to choose for themselves what to pursue doesn't mean that those choices won't have larger consequences.

5/22/2014 8:05 am  #46

But if a problem arises that affects the characters colony, do they really have a choice? The players could say they don't feel like dealing with it, and the consequence is that they possibly or probably will lose the colony. If the players have decided that this game is about running a colony, then they lose and there is no longer any game. You could have a new game with the same characters, but they would have to start all over with their new goal again. It may look like a choice, but if they care about their accomplishments, then refusing is not an actual option.
When the GM says a toxic river is flowing from the volcano into the village, then the players have to go to the volcano and explore what's going on, and eventually put an end to the problem, or ther won't be any more colony building game.

nDervish wrote:

I completely agree with all of this.  And saying "Screw this, it's too dangerous!" (or even "We're not being paid enugh to deal with this.") and going to find something else to do is also a valid and meaningful choice.

That is indeed an option. But the choice here is refusing to play the module. And as far as the module is concerned "there is no game". As a module writer, having player refuse to play is the most complete failure possible.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

5/22/2014 9:10 am  #47

I had my L1 players do character-enriching solo adventures.

The Warlock character found himself greatly in debt, tasked by the servants of his shadowy debt-holder to produce the payment or die. In desperation, he became... a grave-robber.

The Legerdemainist character was plagued by nightmares caused by the spirit of a childhood friend... whose grave had been robbed! The boy's bones had to be found and returned to the earth...

It was in the necropolis that a Shaman lie, badly beaten... left for dead. It wasn't long before these three had common cause (and some experience under their belts...)

I allowed the non-focal players to take on the roles of NPCs and monsters during this early phase.

5/22/2014 11:51 am  #48

Yora wrote:

When the GM says a toxic river is flowing from the volcano into the village, then the players have to go to the volcano and explore what's going on, and eventually put an end to the problem, or ther won't be any more colony building game.

Going all the way back to my first post in this thread, the toxic river is a situation, not a plotline.  It only becomes a plotline if the GM decides that, to deal with it, the PCs must go to the volcano, find the evil artifact, slay the cult leader, and throw the artifact into the heart of the volcano.  If you leave it as just a situation, though, then it's open to other solutions: Build a dam or dig a ditch to divert the poisons elsewhere.  Pack up the settlement and move to a better location.  Try to hire or train a battalion of clerics to chain-cast Purify Water all day (note that not all potential solutions are likely to work...).  There's always a choice about how to address a situation.

Yora wrote:

the choice here is refusing to play the module. And as far as the module is concerned "there is no game". As a module writer, having player refuse to play is the most complete failure possible.

And that is why I approach GMing as "Oh, here's an interesting situation.  I wonder what they'll do with it." instead of writing modules.

5/23/2014 3:06 am  #49

I'd like to second nDervish. It is really important that the GM presents interesting situations to the players; for the first time, a single event is enough, but by time there would probably be multiple ongoing things.

Now, it is trivial that if the players back away from every challenge and decide not to pursue goals the game supports (like giving up the adventurer life in virtually any D&D-esque fantasy game), it is like not playing the game at all. It is also trivial if the GM doesn't prepare anything for the game, it would be very simple at best, but ocassionally boring. To prevent that, GMs usually prepare interesting situations.

Situations are different to plotlines but are also related to them. If you think about any plot in any book or movie, they all have a basic conflict (like an evil arch-mage is about to return from the dead; a powerful vampire lord is terrorising the locals; an insane criminal creates havoc in your city night after night, etc.). Obviously, these are "big picture" conflicts; they may be presented on a smaller scale as well.

So, plotlines revolve around some basic conflict. However, plotlines also have the necessary resolution to those conflicts, whereas sitations in themselves do not. For instance, if the players may hear about the return of arch-mage, they may decide to fight against him, or ally themselves with their followers. The point is, situations can be presented by the GM without expectations about the outcome.

Nevertheless, it is easier to react to the players' reactions if the GM prepared the situation well. For instance, for my first Vikings & Valkyries game I prepared a small community with at least 8 characters with different personality and motivations. I simply had to find a way to present as much information as possible without overwhelming the players ("the Feast"). Whichever person they would've allied themselves with, I could've GMed the emerging occurences, because I was prepared: I knew who wanted what and how would they approach it.

It was kind of long, so I finish with this: make situations, not plotlines. I hope my efforts to explain what this means in detail weren't futile and it actually helped.

5/23/2014 10:11 am  #50

Yora wrote:

*snip* Provide the players with a goal, but not neccessarily with a specific way to do it. *snip*

There are different approaches and I'm not going to tell you that you're doing it wrong, but this line of thinking runs counter to player agency and meaningful choice.

It's a sort of a fine line, but there is a better way to get your players close to (but never exactly) where you want them. Provide your players with challenges, interesting situations, interesting locales and interesting NPCs (with goals and affiliations) to interact with and then let them tell you what their goals are. So by all means, give your NPCs some goals and the means to accomplish them and then find some way to riff off the PC's personalities to create tension or inspire loyalty. If you do it right, your players will want to help/hinder your NPCs and become embroiled in the web of intrigue that you've got sketched out in the back of your mind, but you're going to have to be prepared to improvise and accept that your players are never going to do exactly what you envisaged in your prep stage.

5/23/2014 10:25 am  #51

I think it mostly comes down to being a dial what ratio of freedom and predictability you want to have. The more accurately you can predict where the next two or three sessions will be going, the more you are able to provide detail, complexity, and options for the players. If I had no clue at all what would happen in the next session, I wouldn't be able to prepare anything at all.

I can't imagine how you'd prepare for a game without knowing where the players will be going and what they want to deal with. How would you actually do that in practice?

Last edited by Yora (5/23/2014 10:41 am)

Spriggan's Den

5/23/2014 4:05 pm  #52

my 2 cents are that you might need to listen more to your players. Also you could just plainly ask them what their characters want to do now that they've managed to do whatever-was-they-did-during-this-session. (imho;PCs should be as active as NPCs when it comes to initiate adventures.)
With that you'll have the base of your next session with the assurance that they'll follow that lead. All you have to think about is a twist to surprise your players. 

5/23/2014 6:52 pm  #53

I typically start any game with a briefing. I will tell the players what they can expect of me the GM, and what i expect of them. I will usually give them some basic knowledge of the game world, the game mechanics and what focus i expect the game to take. I also typically tell them how likely their character is to die. Many of my players are new school, and therefore need to have the concept of player death explained to them.

Usually i pick a broad tone and style for the game. What will the game initially focus on. Will it be an exploration hex crawl kind of game, will it be solving mysteries and lots of npc dialogue, will it be a deadly dungeon crawl etc. This might change and is open to discussion . I am not a mind reader i cannot tell what each player wants to do with out them giving me some feedback. 

There are a number of things an rpg campaign must do to work. It must involve the players working as a party in some form. I'm not going to run 5 simultanous solo adventures. Therefore either the players need to come up with a rational as to why they are going to form a party and work together, or they will accept mine. I don't mind well established characters generating PVP conflicts due to things that have happened in the game world, but a level 1 character has low life expectancy and therefore value. So their wishes don't mean squat as an individual. 

You do have a direct choice as a GM between detail and player freedom. You cannot achieve both. Or at leat not if you want to hold down a full time job. I will typically start off with detail and limit player choice. Why? Because the players don't know the game world well enough to make informed interesting decisions, they don't know their characters wiell enough to really decide what they character ought to do. So often i will start with a short dungeoncrawl or investigation or something that gives a reason for the characters to be bound together, introduces the core game mechanics and the setting. After this I will open the game up. There are a few ways of doing this. I am quite good at improvising most things in fantasy worlds so i can just run with it and create fairly interesting stuff. However it is usually quite easy to deal with lower level characters and predict them if you do a few things;

Make sure they are poor. If they have no money they are limited in how far they can travel and what they can do.

Inflict reality/consequences on them; If they kill somone on the street or steal they face the letter of the law. If they try to march across a desert they may die of thirst etc. Quickly they have to think sensibly this narrows their options down a lot.

worked with the last too, keep the world small.

Give some juicy plot hooks that match their character types. These are short term goals that appeal to the players situation that could evolve into something bigger. Ways to earn cash or prestige usually work well. A mystery of some sort can work well too. If you are really worried about this but a big world event on the clock. For example they are in a city, an army is marching on that city and will arrive in 3 days. Quickly there are predictable ways to get involved or get out of town.

Have a stock of semi random NPCs (with name generator) you can use to creating people of interest on the fly

Have tables for random encounters, lots of them, and make them detailed, they are worth the time investment and can really flesh out the world.

Give the illusion of more choices than the players have. This requires some nueance. You do want to give the players interesting real choices but you want them to feel like they could do anything, when in fact they are rather limited.

Ask at the end of a session what players want to do at the start of the next. I don't think its unreasonable to ask sensible questions of your players. Don't try to read their minds as to waht they want to do. 

Use combat or puzzles to slow the game down. Improvising interesting NPC dialogue is probably the hardest thing in a game, doing it none stop for 3 hours+ is nigh  impossible. So try to find ways to keep the players occupied to give you time to think this stuff through.

The best big meta plots take time to get rolling. If you want you can plant a seed for it in the first session but don't be surprised if the players completely miss it or are not interested. Just drop in one rumour, or one clue, doesn't have to be much. I usually sprinkle 2 or 3 vague clues in to a campaign for a wider plot and see what they take interest in. I then come up with mundane explanations for the stuff they ignore if it ever comes up and develop what they follow up. You don't need to know everthing up front if you apply the above well.

Expect some of your hardest work to go completely unused. I usually create multiple solutions to puzzles or mysteries or routes through a dungeon. Some of the more interesting ones never get looked at. I can always recycle them for later though.

Fantasy is the easiest genre to do all this in, because you can create anything.

If you want to look at some good material, check out anything written by Gabor Lux in either Fight On! or to a lesser extent Knockspell magazine. Its all set in a universe with Amazons and celts and no elves etc. Its some of the best rpg material ever written. If you invent most of your own monsters like i do, you can easily change the stats to make a challenge easier or harder.

thats all i got for now.

Last edited by The_Great_Lestrade (5/23/2014 6:57 pm)

5/23/2014 7:37 pm  #54

i've read some more of the thread and im not sleepy so i'll add a few more things;

Investigations

Detective style investigations can work, but its hard. The game call of Cthulhu is basically a detective rpg, as is Dark Heresy and a number of others. 

One thing to note with detective scenarios is that they tend to work better with lower player counts, 2-3 rather than 4-5. At 4 or 5 some players might find themselves twiddling their thumbs whilst the cleric, wizard and theif do all the interesting stuff. You only need so many brains to work things through. Also allowing the party to split a little is a good idea.

Unless the players agree at the outset that they want a detective heavy game don't start with it. I have one Burning Wheel game where 2 players do investigate dissapearing village folk but they said they wanted that kind of game before we genned the characters.

Some ideas;

Build up a good relationship betweent he party and an NPC. characters typically like an NPCs that give them stuff. Introduce an NPC that gives them cash and supplies for some reason and is generally likeable and helpful.

Then murder him or her. The players are far more likely to take interest in a mystery if it involves someone they are invested in. 

Make the killing mysterious and actually interesting. Remember this is a weird fiction inspired RPG. Don't just have the victim stabbed. Instead, there are no obvious wounds, but the victims eyes have turned hard as glass and faded to a black colour. As have all the live stock in the northern sheepfold. Each animal has given up the ghost as it slept with no clear cause. 

If its someone they care about and its weird it becomes intriguing.

The investigation itself;

Players are usually pretty dumb. They will miss lots of clues. Therefore don't expect them to find more than half the clues or lines of investigation you plant. Sow maybe ten simple clues that point in the right direction. Maybe there were two witnesses, but they have gone to ground. Maybe a local witch sold a curse to someone with blue hair, maybe on searching the house parts of the Holoku flower are found that only grows in the northern woods near a specific cave. Ideally 3 of those 10 should be enough for a smart group to get to the culprit and bring on the show down. Make finding the clues easy on a mental level, but hard work to actually pursue. i.e. once they find these weird blue flowers they have to id them, then find a local who knows where to find them, then journey to the woods and survive a wolf attack etc. Don't put too much NPC dialogue in there. Too much is hard to improv, and boring if you just read it out. So i'd stick to one or two real witnesses.

Avoid red herrings. Maybe put one in the final show down to see if the player buy it, but don't put them early on in the investigation because they could completely lose the sent.

You will know whether they are interested in investigation if they pay any attention to weird things you put in the game world. Drop and completely unknown object in early. It doesnt have to do much other than be mysterious. If they ignore it they might not be into this stuff. 

All you really need to do for a simple mystery is create 3 characters; one witness, one victim, one perp. Two detailed locations; the murder site, the murderers lair. You can improv any other locations from a one line description in your notes. Making a hamlet and woods map to set it in doesn't take that long. The only dialogue you really need to prepare is the witness statement and the murder lies. Everything else can be improv'd. (if you want i could write a guide to improv'ing characters and dialogue). 

on the topic of making challenges easy hard for 1st level characters;
Its an old school game, some should die.
You can give them NPC allies to come save them
Monsters are the only threat that really needs to be scaled. 
Invent your own monsters and give them easy stat blocks. In particular avoid monsters that can paralyze and have high damage dice (D3, maybe D4 are best).
If you want to make things a bit scary apply a really weak poison or disease that takes ages to kill someone but has a negative on a stat like charisma. It will make them worry a lot but won't take them out.
Make sure they understand that running away or even surrendering are sometimes perfectly viable options.

Last edited by The_Great_Lestrade (5/23/2014 7:44 pm)

5/23/2014 7:45 pm  #55

Welcome to the forum, Great Lestrade! What a perfectly excellent way to jump into things. Please tell us a bit about yourself at the introduction thread when you have a chance.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/23/2014 8:08 pm  #56

Yeah, great post, Great Lestrade! Nice to have you around!

I think that primer on NPC dialogue would be great. It would be publishable, too!

And your points about giving "the illusion of more choices than the players have" and how good Gabor Lux's stuff tends to be are spot on!

5/24/2014 2:21 am  #57

Indeed, Gábor's stuff is awesome; I wish more Hungarian gamers appreciated his work (but that's wildly off topic here).

As for investigations, Justin Alexander's "[url=​http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule]Three Clue Rule[/url]" article is spot on.

5/25/2014 10:20 am  #58

Yora wrote:

I can't imagine how you'd prepare for a game without knowing where the players will be going and what they want to deal with. How would you actually do that in practice?

In the past, I've ended each session with the question, "So, what do you guys want to do next week?"  No need to guess what I'll need to prepare if I can get them to tell me directly!

Lately, though, I've gotten out of the habit (purely due to my own laziness), so, for the colonization campaign, I've just got a map of the island they're on with a hex grid superimposed on it and a list of what creatures have lairs in each hex and where there are dungeons or other exceptional sites.  If they go somewhere new, I just need to improvise the details of any lairs they locate, which isn't terribly difficult.

I currently have this information for a two-hex radius around everywhere the PCs have been.  That's only half a day to a day of travel, but they're focused so far on clearing hexes for settlement, so they're very unlikely to go further out than that.  If they do, I also have software (part of a set of Python scripts collectively called "ackstools", intended (obviously) for use with ACKS) which I can use to generate lairs for a new hex more-or-less instantly.

5/25/2014 12:55 pm  #59

Just finished my game of today, and I'm not really happy with how it went.

The fighter with his bastard sword gets three attacks against most things they encountered and easily dealt out more than double the amount of damage than the other four characters combined. Six giant spiders and eight dire rats didn't even have a chance to do any noticable amount of damage, but the giant python almost crushed the cleric like nothing.
The rest of the game was pretty much entirely my poor dungeon design, but 1st level combat really is extremely unpredictable. And that includes full hit points at 1st level and death at -10. The mage and the priest generally stayed behind doing nothing but watching, and I already switched to a magic system that gives them significantly more spells.

Next time I'll try to run Against the Cult of the Reptile God as stright as it gets, and see how it will turn out.

Spriggan's Den

5/25/2014 6:24 pm  #60

What level is your fighter? 3 attacks per round. Are the others lagging behind?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.