!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2023 11:05 am  #1

Hyperborean Encounter Tables 3!

Ever wanted to let your players just hex crawl all over Hyperborea? Here are the tools you've been lacking. Customized encounter tables for every region, city, and body of water listed in the gazetteer. These suckers have it all: Monsters of every kind. Weather. Natural disasters. Human encounters from individual NPCs to pilgrims and merchants to armed patrols to rival adventuring parties. THE DREADED CELESTIAL PHENOMENA. Hundreds of different possible encounters in every region!

This version is (finally!) completely updated for AS&SH 3E, including:

* All the new monsters and geographic regions. Any monster that possibly be met outside a dungeon is on the tables.

* Terrain tables fully correspond to the terrain types on the Hyperborea map.

* Separate tables for regular, coastal, and desert settlements, for customized encounters.

* Lots of little changes and fixes.

* Fully bookmarked.

* And more!

Because of the colossal amount of work involved in creating these, this will be the last version of encounter tables I do. If Jeff releases another edition of the game, someone else will have to pick up the torch.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kzv8qnj4xx4a73a/Hyperborean_Encounter_Tables_3.pdf/file

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/29/2023 6:34 pm  #2

Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables 3!

Fantastic work again! This edition is plenty fine for me. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/29/2023 8:35 pm  #3

Great work.

Now...to update the web app...

What? Me worry?

10/30/2023 11:14 am  #4

Wonderful work. Can't wait to dig in more and utilize this great resource at my own weekly game. Cheers!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/30/2023 12:35 pm  #5

Thanks guys!

Just to be clear, I'm not being a diva with the whole "this is the last version" thing. My current job just doesn't leave me much free time, which is why it took so long to finish this.

gizmomathboy wrote:

Great work.

Now...to update the web app...

I won't blame you if you don't. The encounter tables were merely updated, and some of them haven't changed at all, but I started over from scratch with the terrain tables. There are now two columns each for ALIEN, ANIMAL, and MEN, to accommodate a greater variety of encounters, and almost no column was carried over intact from 2e. Sorry!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (10/30/2023 12:37 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/30/2023 12:58 pm  #6

This is so amazingly useful - thank you for your hard work!

10/30/2023 1:48 pm  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

Just to be clear, I'm not being a diva with the whole "this is the last version" thing. My current job just doesn't leave me much free time, which is why it took so long to finish this.

No worries at all, I was riffing on Jeff's (presumably) joking about a Hyperborea 4th edition. What free time we have should be ours to decide what to do with, and your efforts to help us with our Hyperborean games are greatly appreciated. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/31/2023 12:38 pm  #8

Blackadder23 wrote:

I won't blame you if you don't. The encounter tables were merely updated, and some of them haven't changed at all, but I started over from scratch with the terrain tables. There are now two columns each for ALIEN, ANIMAL, and MEN, to accommodate a greater variety of encounters, and almost no column was carried over intact from 2e. Sorry!

No worries.

I was looking over the changes and figuring out how much or how little work it's gonna be.

I think it won't be too hard.

The "hard" part will be accounting for "not in winter" "ignore not in winter"  notes :-)

I think the expanded encounter space is a great addition.

What? Me worry?

12/22/2023 8:29 pm  #9

i was waiting for this for some time but i never saw the post until Ghul made a FB post and mention it. excited that this exists now and how it has been added to the official resources page!

-Gladiator, What is best in life?
-The inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents,  terrifying vistas of reality,  the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.
-Yee... wait... what ... WHAT?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.