!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2023 2:41 pm  #1

RIP Russ Nicholson

RIP, Russ Nicholson. As a young man, I marveled at Russ' art in the AD&D Fiend Folio and elsewhere. As a publisher, I had the honor to work with him. He did 19 illustrations for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, and they were all incredible. Pictured here is one of my favorites. I'll always cherish having had the opportunity to work with him. He was a kind man and a gentle soul. ~Jeff T.

Last edited by Ghul (5/17/2023 2:42 pm)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/17/2023 2:51 pm  #2

Re: RIP Russ Nicholson

Really sad news Jeff ... Have loved Russ's work, as you, since the Fiend Folio and the work he did for Games Workshop in the early days for White Dwarf, Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Roleplay ... He had a very unique style that was immediately identifiable as Russ Nicholson ... I started a tribute to him over on the Hyperborea Discord.

5/17/2023 7:41 pm  #3

Ghul wrote:

He was a kind man and a gentle soul. ~Jeff T.

Aside from his art bringing joy and imaginative inspiration, those are words that cheer too.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/18/2023 5:17 am  #4

From the Dawn of time, till it sets on all life...

Russ Nicholson - Wikipedia

The Gallery: Art of Russ Nicholson

5/29/2023 7:13 pm  #5

Sad news...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.