!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2023 4:40 am  #1

Swords of the Four Winds - Dariel R. Quioge

Just finished this collection of short stories: highly recommended if you like shorter S&S fiction, as I do. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/14/2023 3:43 pm  #2

Re: Swords of the Four Winds - Dariel R. Quioge

Crom laughs at your four winds! ;)

(Someone had to say it...)

I'll check it out! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/15/2023 5:56 am  #3

I have no doubt he does, and he knows what he can do with his laugh! 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

6/07/2023 7:29 pm  #4

Picked it up based on a recommendation (maybe yours) on another forum.  It was okay, but I thought the quality of the stories declined as you went through the book.  By the end I was very tired of it.  Oh well, will keep checking out new stuff.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/08/2023 5:09 am  #5

Yes, that was probably my recommendation. I appreciated the non-Western S&S vibe, and thought they were overall enjoyable for the setting differences alone. At least now you know to take my recommendations with a grain of salt. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.