!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2023 5:00 am  #1

Krimmea

Does anyone have any particular inspirations in your depictions of krimmea? I'm curious to know what others came up with for style of architecture, how they cope with the lack of light, what they eat, etc. The descriptions in the book are pretty open ended so I could see depictions ranging from the real life ruins of Derinkuyu, to dwarf style cities (like Moria from LOTR or Orzammar from Dragon age), to the more fantastic like the underground civilization from the Moon Pool.

How would you guys depict Krimmea and what are your main inspirations?

2/01/2023 9:18 am  #2

Re: Krimmea

When this topic came up before, it was stated (though not by Jeff, if I recall correctly) that the main inspiration for Krimmea was K'n-yan from Lovecraft's "The Mound". I wouldn't personally see Krimmea as being that technologically advanced though. On the other hand, who knows what they have down there?

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/01/2023 9:42 am  #3

As xenophobic as they seem...I am lazy and make it a "do not go here" kind of place.

However, as BA noted, note very advanced to keep it simple as far as lighting.

Although they might have grabbed some magic-tech before they went isolationist to have well lit places.

What? Me worry?

2/02/2023 2:18 am  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

When this topic came up before, it was stated (though not by Jeff, if I recall correctly) that the main inspiration for Krimmea was K'n-yan from Lovecraft's "The Mound". I wouldn't personally see Krimmea as being that technologically advanced though. On the other hand, who knows what they have down there?

I haven't read that one before I'll have to check it out. I agree about them not being too advanced, although the Apparatus of Dark Krimmerians (and mention if the Guild of the pierced breast in the description) suggests they are highly organized and capable of some unique innovations. Just nowhere near the ancient atlanteans or hyperboreans imo

2/02/2023 2:30 am  #5

gizmomathboy wrote:

As xenophobic as they seem...I am lazy and make it a "do not go here" kind of place.

However, as BA noted, note very advanced to keep it simple as far as lighting.

Although they might have grabbed some magic-tech before they went isolationist to have well lit places.

There's a conan story (it may have been the jewels of gwahlur) that talks about a porous stone that sheds light from within. I may go with something like that.

2/02/2023 12:46 pm  #6

I think I may have something workable-

So the Apparatus of Dark Kimmerians says that it contains a canary that's covered in a symbiotic algae from Ganymede, which extinguishes a day after the bird dies.

What if the kimmerians used it to manufacture a sort of paste like paint, dyed it, and painted it on to mineral rich stones throughout the city. These stones would be used, at least in part, to build the architecture throughout Krimmea. The symbiotic algae feeds on the minerals in the stones, and city workers are tasked regularly with spraying a calcium mist on to them, which allows the algae to continously be fed.

Does that seem too convoluted?

Last edited by deathknight4044 (2/02/2023 12:50 pm)

2/02/2023 1:07 pm  #7

deathknight4044 wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

I haven't read that one before I'll have to check it out. I agree about them not being too advanced, although the Apparatus of Dark Krimmerians (and mention if the Guild of the pierced breast in the description) suggests they are highly organized and capable of some unique innovations. Just nowhere near the ancient atlanteans or hyperboreans imo

It's one of the stories HPL ghost wrote (in this case for Zealia Bishop), so it's not usually collected with his "normal" stories. Unlike some of his other revisions, HPL wrote "The Mound" with little or no input from Ms. Bishop, and it has a lot of Cthulhu Mythos flavor. It's in The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions, but you can also read it online:

https://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/mo.aspx

(Some of the other revisions contain quite a bit of text from another author, sometimes with hilarious results. If you want to make an easy $20, bet someone that Lovecraft once wrote a story with the line "I'm like a donkey - all ears." Correct answer: "The Ghost-Eater".)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/02/2023 5:36 pm  #8

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.