!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2023 12:25 pm  #21

Re: OGL 1.1 and Hyperborea

Matt Finch discusses implications for OSR and retroclones here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMtk9SAjUI

My overall impression from the discussion was more positive than I had been feeling up to that point in that it seems Swords & Wizardry is well placed to break free from the WotC licence.  I wonder if this may make for a model of how Hyperborea might move forwards.

1/20/2023 12:59 pm  #22

Friends,

I appreciate all the concern for me and the Hyperborea RPG expressed here and in other locations. I just wanted to say that I have been reading what you've been saying/asking/proposing (forum posts, Discord, Facebook and Twitter messages, etc.); however, I am not making any monumental decisions at this point. My plan remains the same: I await the arrival of the new OGL "final" draft -- most specifically its declarations regarding the usability and perpetuality of the original OGL. When this is clarified with finality, I will weigh my options and discuss all possibilities with my family, closest confidants, and legal advisors. Unfortunately, current developments have already put considerable strain on my small business, North Wind Adventures. We have three new adventure modules that currently are shelfed due to the harmful actions taken by WotC. Time and money have been invested in these works. If one positive can be observed, at least they seem to be relenting on their stance regarding products published before (insert date of new OGL); conversely, they pigheadedly appear entrenched in their stance regarding new publications no longer being able to utilize the original OGL. What does this mean for North Wind Adventures? In the short term, it means we can continue to sell current stock, which is a huge relief. In the long term, it means we likely must effect changes to adapt to the new rules. There are several options to review, and I am not prepared to commit to or champion any one of them in particular, but I can say this with confidence: I would never, ever agree to the terms laid out in the new iteration of the OGL as presented by the agents of WotC. Those terms are as absurd as they are offensive, intended to control and/or destroy not only my creations, but those of my peers, too. Of this I have no doubt. So, thank you for supporting my small press publishing outfit and me, and please be patient as I consider each new development and measure my responses accordingly.

Kind regards,
Jeffrey Talanian

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/21/2023 4:57 am  #23

Thank you Jeff: whatever path you end up taking I look forward to supporting more North Wind Adventures and Hyperborean creations. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/21/2023 8:06 am  #24

It the essence of the concept of Hyperborea that is important, rules can be secondary (though very annoying, since its is something the old timers have played since the beginning and mean some thing to us). 

I am sure the folks here at Hyperborea forums will support you 100% Jeff, keep the good work going!

1/21/2023 3:23 pm  #25

Yeah Jeff,

I love your game setting and am totally down with sticking to it! I hope things clear up so I can get my hands on your new products.

It’s like being a kid again and waiting with anticipation new TSR products back in the 80s!

1/22/2023 10:33 am  #26

We're all behind you, Jeff.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/22/2023 3:18 pm  #27

"Us citizens are behind you all the way officer." 

--- Nick Nolte in "48 Hours."  

1/23/2023 1:07 pm  #28

Blackadder23 wrote:

We're all behind you, Jeff.

Folks here should know that forum stalwart BA23 is also affected, because one of the aforementioned forthcoming adventure modules was written by him (Ben Ball, The Thousand Eyes of Thaumagorga).

1/23/2023 9:18 pm  #29

Hi Jeff,
I just wanted to come and voice my support along with everyone else here. Have loved Hyperborea since it was AS&SH and I will always look forward to everything you put out. Best wishes for clarity soon - petitioning Xathoqqua on your behalf!

1/24/2023 8:42 am  #30

The Magic: the Gathering crowd is taking note.  Liars of the Coast were planning on monetizing the hell out of D&D.  If that flops (and it will, short-term*), then Hasbro is gonna expect LotC to make up that projected revenue elsewhere.  Magic cards are the only other real source they can mine, and that fanbase knows it.  Some are calling to batten down the hatches and prepare for rough seas.

I say short-term, because I think the idea of a virtual tabletop, driven by the unreal engine is too much of a siren call for a lot of nerds to resist.  As many people have canceled their DnDBeyond accounts, orders of magnitude more have hung around.  (which reminds me of another lie....the brand managers says they have 13 Million DnD Beyond subscriptions.  What they have is 13M accounts, not all of which have a subscription.  I had an account, as I wanted to see what their online character builder was like  - it sucked, no shock there - but they never got a nickel out of me via DnD Beyond.)

1/24/2023 3:56 pm  #31

Read the Newsletter. 

Rust Monster =>  Oxidation Oedemerid  See: https://www.britannica.com/animal/oedemerid-beetle

1/24/2023 4:59 pm  #32

Aelric wrote:

Read the Newsletter. 

Rust Monster =>  Oxidation Oedemerid  See: https://www.britannica.com/animal/oedemerid-beetle

Love it! LOL

1/24/2023 8:26 pm  #33

Ferrophagic Horror...the bookend to the Pinophytal Horror

What? Me worry?

1/25/2023 5:31 am  #34

At this stage I would have termed their dishonest antics "coprophagous", at least partially to get them to use a dictionary. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

1/25/2023 8:09 am  #35

gizmomathboy wrote:

Ferrophagic Horror...

That's fantastic! 

1/25/2023 11:49 am  #36

I believe there's a bit of history with a board game about buying properties that was (in)famously sold by other makers with unique names for the game and all the stuffs inside the game, but used similar math and mechanics. Also, I was pretty happy to read the newsletter point out that nobody currently involved at the corporation contributed to this creation, they just happen to work there now.

1/26/2023 10:51 am  #37

HI Ghul I just wanted to pop in to express my support and continued business. Past experience tells me that any decision you make Hyperborea and North Wind in the wake of the OGL debacle will be carefully considered. I am hoping that any financial impact is minimal and short term.

1/27/2023 4:46 pm  #38

Well that was abrupt.
http://archive.today/68vRe
Seems the entire SRD 5.1 has just today been published under CC-BY-4.0, and OGL 1.0a will be left
> "...in place, as is. Untouched".

1/27/2023 4:57 pm  #39

jvh wrote:

Well that was abrupt.
http://archive.today/68vRe
Seems the entire SRD 5.1 has just today been published under CC-BY-4.0, and OGL 1.0a will be left
> "...in place, as is. Untouched".

I believe we have a reason to celebrate, gentlemen. 

1/27/2023 5:03 pm  #40

Well, hopefully Jeff most of all, as a publisher. I guess even LE types can tell when they're hopelessly outnumbered...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.