!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2023 9:37 pm  #1

Recommended Adventure from PoV of Setting Flavor?

So for someone new to the Hyperborea game & setting, but long versed in AD&D 1E/2E, what would be a recommendation for a first Adventure from the perspective of being the most immersive into the Hyperborea setting and ruleset (e.g. perhaps best exemplifies unique classes, races etc.)?  Put another way, considerations of level complexity aside, is there an Adventure that you think best encapsulates the Hyperborea playstyle weltanschauung?  

1/04/2023 6:31 am  #2

Re: Recommended Adventure from PoV of Setting Flavor?

Rats in the Wall is good for a new player. I presume you refereeing?

It also adds the Hyperborea feel, plus you have now entered the city of Khromarium...

1/04/2023 10:40 am  #3

I thought Swampgate/Black Moss Hag was a good intro to the setting.

It's also pretty close to Khromarium to through Rats in the Walls and other Perils as follow up things.

Which is almost what I did with my group.

I think the sequence was more:

1) my Peat Cutter Pete's Pet Peeves thing
2) I think stuff from Rats in the Wall and Other Perils
3) Swampgate

After that...maybe Ghost Ship. That's a really cool, long set of things to explore. If you want to use published modules that is.

What? Me worry?

1/04/2023 11:11 am  #4

^ and ^^

Thank you for quick replies.

I typically homebrew adventures when I GM/referee/judge, but I don't mind reading adventures "as literature" for inspiration and specific ideas.  When I purchase a new game ruleset, I like to include a (an official) module/adventure to get a sense of how the designer(s) went about implementing that system.  

1/04/2023 4:08 pm  #5

Swampgate/Black Moss Hag from 2nd Edition was a good intro,

Rats in the walls, Lamia's Heart, or Brazen Bull from the Rat's in the Walls and other terrors are all also great starters...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.