!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2022 5:42 pm  #1

Centaurs

Do you use centaurs in your game? Or are they too silly. Me? Yeah, used a couple in game.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/194693902@N02/51845875042/in/dateposted-public/

Na Chuba! Na Gita! Negatorie Na! Na! Natoota! 

1/28/2022 6:23 pm  #2

Re: Centaurs

It can be sorely tempting to use conventional high fantasy creatures from time to time-- and I give in frequently enough. Just recently I made use of Drow Elves and a Deep Dragon-- Now to be fair; I reflavored the elves significantly-- giving them savage garb, Bioluminescent body paint, and made them a creation of the spider god Atlach-nacha. But they are still principly drow.

The name "Hyperborea' itself is derived origionally from Greek myth, much like the Pegasus and the Fawn; which are both in the game. I don't think you'd need to stretch far to find a place for centaurs.

I wonder how the Kemeri-Kelts would feel about centaurs.  

Last edited by Master Magician Rennalds (1/28/2022 6:25 pm)

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

1/29/2022 4:05 pm  #3

Fair enough.
I too and the other GM try and keep it OSR weird as opposed to high fantasy. That way players get something different at our table.

1/30/2022 12:32 am  #4

Classical monsters are pretty common in Smith's stories (especially the Averoigne and Zothique stories) and somewhat common in Lovecraft's (mostly the Dreamlands stories, but there is also some Classical flavor to "The Horror at Red Hook" and "The Moon-Bog"). It seems fully appropriate to have Classical monsters in a setting that is a pastiche of their work.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/30/2022 4:25 am  #5

The Dreamlands figure quite heavily into our game. Being a real place outside of the "Prime",setting. A dimension that exist to assist or hamper the PC's. So, yes quite a bit of the fanciful there as well as the horrible and nightmarish.
With the centaur and my human witch character; they are a couple. Like I say a mature,gonzo game.

Last edited by Chartauk (1/30/2022 4:38 am)

1/30/2022 4:38 am  #6

1/30/2022 2:31 pm  #7

Well though centaurs were in Bluebook, I never used them for my D&D games and only till Biglaugh kicked in the door at Gringle's Pawnshop in RQ have I every used them. Still they every present in 3.5, but again though my world for such games is Faerun, I never introduced them into a game.

Still I got this a couple of days ago and it might interest folks of some persuasion, for on page 6 it gives rules to create a level-1 centaur for OD&D, which has an appeal. Some say centaurs are not good for dungeon delves and suited the outdoors, but ever seen a mountain goat climb a cliff, it amazing and, well they have hooves and half man, half mountain pony might work... Plus with levitation spells, it not too much of a problem. It better than taking a mules into the dungeon, think of the loot he could carry? I starting to think it interesting now...

Here is link, its pennies and worth a look: The Centaur Borderlands - Aegis Studios | Odysseys & Overlords | DriveThruRPG.com

1/30/2022 5:21 pm  #8

I will def look into it. Our centaur was summoned during a certain sexual ritual the witch performed. After the ritual she kept him around and being agreeable to it too he stayed. He has some skill as a fighter and a few levels in druid. Plus some innate spell like abilities. 
He can polymorph 5 times a week to look completely human. There is a chance for a botched casting, meaning he will look human but he has horse legs and hooves, or a horses tail. Adds for lots of uncertainty. He can not hold that form forever just the duration of the spell.

1/31/2022 3:00 pm  #9

Yeah, slightly similar story of Talbot from 'Rogues Gallery,' for AD&D 1E. Once was human but died and druid brought him back as a centaur. Best I could do with a druid character I had was bring a human wizard back as an orc!

The Rogues Gallery (1e) - Wizards of the Coast | Accessories | DriveThruRPG.com

1/31/2022 3:28 pm  #10

In our old pre Covid group we had two players get their characters resurrected. One came back fine,the other came back a goblin lol. He hated it at first but in time he really grooved on it. Yes, my witch character has a centaur consort. Her coven sisters, while they look different are genetically her real sisters.(One is green skinned, one very pale skinned,another very dark skinned), they all have or had "exotic" bfs at one time or another. 
Part of the requirements for their magics. It is more then simple fun for them. The consorts provide all kinds of benefits to the coven sisters.

2/01/2022 8:06 am  #11

Chartauk wrote:

In our old pre Covid group we had two players get their characters resurrected. One came back fine, the other came back a goblin lol. He hated it at first but in time he really grooved on it.

lol, goblin can be fun also, speaking as a GM of course!

What game rules are you using for your witches?

2/01/2022 9:21 am  #12

For the main game my original group and I are rocking out to, is the Cypher system. The original GM started with the Numenera game by Monte Cook, but house ruled the hell out of the setting and some of the rules. The setting has everything but the kitchen sink in it! lol From Barsoom aliens ,inter-solar system travel,H.P. Lovecraft things, sword and sorcery aspects, weird fantasy, and gonzo sci-fi.
It currently is being run at the table and a little online on RPOL
Depending on the mood I am in. I either play the witch or one of my other characters. Right now last game my alien girl character Oola was enslaved, the party took a beating and she was captured by the enemy. A giant space worm/maggot demi god, hopefully she will not get eaten or defiled or both by her now master,(we run a mature themed game at our table and online. Not in every situation while playing in game, but being all adults we do not shy away from it.) Here is my witch character and her consort.
https://flic.kr/p/2n15Tpx

My alien girl's situation atm, after a fashion. These videos have become our tables in jokes atm. Help!  All make believe good fun! 

https://youtu.be/IGeNLAAMgAw
https://youtu.be/lJsWnJh7jmQ

Last edited by Chartauk (2/01/2022 11:01 am)

2/01/2022 4:20 pm  #13

Ya, ye noo want defiled by a slug!

2/01/2022 5:28 pm  #14

No. Too slimy

2/01/2022 7:11 pm  #15

Here is a link to the game I am talking about,.....at least the online one.

https://rpol.net/display.cgi?gi=69641&ti=1&date=1587495233&msgpage=1

2/02/2022 5:36 am  #16

Chartauk wrote:

No. Too slimy

Ah, that game, got it!

2/02/2022 4:50 pm  #17

Yes. That one. Plus our actual table game we play on Mondays. Same setting/world/ect

2/03/2022 6:27 am  #18

Ah, got it now!

2/04/2022 2:55 pm  #19

Yeah. That game is crazy! lol

2/04/2022 6:59 pm  #20

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.