!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2022 7:54 am  #1

3rd ed. combat sequence

First, to comment how impressive 3rd ed is, and what surprised me most was the layout improvements: I thought 2nd ed very well laid out, but 3rd drops information just where you need it but never realised!

My question: is it now the case that actions in a combat round occur in a set sequence, from melee to movement? I ask because, for 2nd ed, there was no sequenced actions per se, with character’s taking whatever type of action desired (albeit many ran it with a specific sequence it seems), beyond the 2 phases.

Further, ties of initiative revert to a run down of any type of action in DX order (e.g., DX 18 choosing to move 1/2 and attack, followed by next DX character who may shoot an arrow)?

Thanks.

1/25/2022 1:27 pm  #2

Re: 3rd ed. combat sequence

Antalon wrote:

First, to comment how impressive 3rd ed is, and what surprised me most was the layout improvements: I thought 2nd ed very well laid out, but 3rd drops information just where you need it but never realised!

My question: is it now the case that actions in a combat round occur in a set sequence, from melee to movement? I ask because, for 2nd ed, there was no sequenced actions per se, with character’s taking whatever type of action desired (albeit many ran it with a specific sequence it seems), beyond the 2 phases.

Further, ties of initiative revert to a run down of any type of action in DX order (e.g., DX 18 choosing to move 1/2 and attack, followed by next DX character who may shoot an arrow)?

Thanks.

Hi Antalon ... Per this thread (https://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1245) it appears 2nd Edition (and 1st) was ran as you state, that's also how I've run it for my group as well (though I'd be interested to hear Ghul thought's on this as well) ... I certainly anticipate running the new 3rd Edition Combat sequence as such when my group finally reconvenes. I don't see it as game breaking running the combat steps as you (and I) see it, or as firm sequenced steps as others seem to run it (and perhaps as Ghul intends).

1/25/2022 1:35 pm  #3

Antalon wrote:

Thanks.

I have clarified this (updated PDFs to drop any day now) to read as follows, to avoid any confusion generated by my somewhat ambiguous language:

COMBAT SEQUENCE
Each side takes turns according to initiative results, which are diced for each round using a d6. The internal order of a side is shewn in the below sequence. For example, if the PCs win initiative, the PCs will act in order of melee, missiles, magic, movement, and other actions. The losing side, a group of monsters for example, will then act in order of melee, missiles, magic, movement, and other actions

And yes, you are correct regarding the initiative ties.

I'm glad to hear that from a layout perspective you are enjoying the ease of use. It will become more readily apparent once the print books are in the hands of folks, Littlle things, like having saving throw information in your class entry, starting equipment packs handy right there, and so forth. I can't tell you how many people have commented to me in public and in private about the cool new skill that non-fighters have -- the ability to learn how to use an off-list weapon at L4, L8, and L12. The sad part is that the rule was so misplaced (I suppose!), that many did not realize that it did exist in the first two editions. So, clearly it needed to be presented in a clearer manner. Anyway, many thanks! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/25/2022 5:08 pm  #4

Thank you both, that has made it crystal clear.  I don’t think the wording ambiguous in 3rd ed., perhaps more so in 2nd., hence my confusion and question.

I am still enjoying 2nd ed, and intend to use it for sometime to come.  Once the 3rd ed. books arrive (pre ordered from my FLGS), I will save them for ‘pure’ Hyperborea games.  Otherwise, I’m planning to use 2nd ed as the basis for my Midderlands game (Glynn Seal’s beautiful setting).

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.