!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2021 8:45 am  #81

Re: What makes it a Third Edition?

I like the change; it's intuitive and flows.

6/08/2021 12:14 pm  #82

I appreciate that you guys like it. It is more intuitive, easier to manage, yet retains the spirit of the previous two editions.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/08/2021 8:25 pm  #83

I like it Ghul, very similar to how I've been running things in my campaign.  Sticking to the "melee/missile/magic/move" bits with the half portions included but not using the Phase bits.  I hear you about the convention perspective whereas some people give the blank stare about Phase one and Phase two.  In that type of setting I adjudicated based on what people told me.

Other bands play, Manowar kill!

6/14/2021 7:46 am  #84

Do I understand it correctly that first the winners of initiative do melee, then the losers, then the winners shoot missiles, then the losers, and so forth?

6/14/2021 9:01 am  #85

Ynas Midgard wrote:

Do I understand it correctly that first the winners of initiative do melee, then the losers, then the winners shoot missiles, then the losers, and so forth?

No, the side that wins goes first (melee, missiles, magic, movement), followed by the side that loses (melee, missiles, magic, movement).

6/14/2021 9:03 am  #86

Ghul wrote:

Ynas Midgard wrote:

No, the side that wins goes first (melee, missiles, magic, movement), followed by the side that loses (melee, missiles, magic, movement).

Ah, I see.

6/14/2021 3:57 pm  #87

Interesting, I did feel the phasing needed to be made more intuitive and I think this does it and yet retains the crunch and tactical feel. Nice ! 

is there still a statement of intent and so spellcasters will be affected by missiles before declared spells go off ?

6/14/2021 4:11 pm  #88

goat major wrote:

Interesting, I did feel the phasing needed to be made more intuitive and I think this does it and yet retains the crunch and tactical feel. Nice ! 

is there still a statement of intent and so spellcasters will be affected by missiles before declared spells go off ?

Yes, action declaration is still part of the steps of combat, which I didn't post above here they are, much like in previous form:

COMBAT STEPS

Consider the following checklist a guideline intended to help the referee coordinate and adjudicate combat. With experience, these steps will become second nature.

1. Determine surprize (round 1 only, per referee discretion)
2. Declare actions
3. Roll initiative
4. Resolve actions
5. Check morale (per referee discretion)

With Step 1 occurring only on round 1 (per referee discretion), and Step 5 being situational (also per referee discretion), most combat rounds only comprise Steps 2–4. Basically, declare actions, roll initiative, and resolve actions.

Last edited by Ghul (6/14/2021 4:12 pm)

6/14/2021 4:45 pm  #89

Ynas Midgard wrote:

I read it that way at first too. I might try and run combats that way anyway. 

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

6/14/2021 6:24 pm  #90

i'm so excited for 3e. i've playing Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea 2nd since 2018.

I have made some house-rules for my table (more races, languages, simpler combat) and i can see there will be already more new stuff in it. I will surely support this kickstarter and i will try to get the pdfs.

-Gladiator, What is best in life?
-The inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents,  terrifying vistas of reality,  the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.
-Yee... wait... what ... WHAT?

6/14/2021 6:30 pm  #91

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Ynas Midgard wrote:

Yes, I like that too.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

6/15/2021 2:35 am  #92

I like the move towards B/X style initiative and action order, I think it's a solid decision.

6/15/2021 9:16 am  #93

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Ynas Midgard wrote:

If you do, I would suggest conflating "Missiles" and "Magic" into a single category, so you have something like Side 1 melee, Side 2 melee, Side 1 missiles and magic, Side 2 missiles and magic, Side 1 movement, Side 2 movement. I think the alternating sides in a single round will slow combat down, though, so I'm not particularly fond of the idea to begin with, but I'd be curious to hear how it goes.

6/15/2021 3:13 pm  #94

Ghul wrote:

I think the alternating sides in a single round will slow combat down, though, so I'm not particularly fond of the idea to begin with, but I'd be curious to hear how it goes.

Good advice. My big concern are situations where one side covers up to 40' distance and attacking in mêlée before archers on the other side have fired. Or nothing stopping one side from focusing fire and just obliterating an actor on the opposing side. I confess I might have ptsd from "rocket tag" combat in other systems. Now that I think about it one could probably just do:
winning side stationary attacks (me-mi-ma) then
losing side stationary attacks then 
winning side move and attacks then
losing side move and attacks

Which is pretty much back to Phase 1 and Phase 2... 

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (6/15/2021 3:15 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

6/15/2021 3:17 pm  #95

- Map reworked by Glynn Seal and to be presented in atlas format and special poster version.
- Gynn Seal has recoloured the map.

- 12 new playable character races (Anglo-Saxon, Carolingian Frank, Esquimaux-Ixian, Greek, Lapp, Lemurian, Moor, Mu, Oon, Roman, Tlingit, Yakut).
- Languages: More available languages available.

i want focus a little on these lines.

does the map has been updated and added new locations in the lore of the setting? like a new city-state? or new named villages for some of the new races?

will you go in a little more detail in languages in 3e. like have examples of how they write in some of those languages. (many people don't know what the Greek / Hellenic alphabet is for example).

as a Greek i feel i have to ask. how in depth are you gonna get in that? Will be there Athenians, Spartans and Macedonians for example (i have added it in my houserules but i will get if you don't go in depth).

-The inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents,  terrifying vistas of reality,  the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.

6/15/2021 3:27 pm  #96

Presumably, with the system as originally set out by Ghul (where the side with initiative do all their actions, and then the losing side do all theirs), a stationary archer with initiative can declare a hold action with an intention to shoot any advancing opposition.  They can then take their shot when the other side moves.  This seems fair even though it’s no longer the turn of the archer because each side would have declared actions at the start, and if that’s what the winning archer intended to do, then so be it.

6/16/2021 10:31 am  #97

demetrisathanasopoulos wrote:

- Map reworked by Glynn Seal and to be presented in atlas format and special poster version.

- 12 new playable character races (Anglo-Saxon, Carolingian Frank, Esquimaux-Ixian, Greek, Lapp, Lemurian, Moor, Mu, Oon, Roman, Tlingit, Yakut).

does the map has been updated and added new locations in the lore of the setting? like a new city-state? or new named villages for some of the new races?

will you go in a little more detail in languages in 3e. like have examples of how they write in some of those languages. (many people don't know what the Greek / Hellenic alphabet is for example).

as a Greek i feel i have to ask. how in depth are you gonna get in that? Will be there Athenians, Spartans and Macedonians for example (i have added it in my houserules but i will get if you don't go in depth).

The map is mostly the same -- it's been recolored, and we have some new fonts, and there may be a few additional places named, but nothing significant. The default year remains 576, so nothing new such as a city-state has popped up overnight. 

Bear in mind that the new races are mostly not new (except for the Franks, mentioned in 3e for the first time). They've been mentioned in previous editions as either considered extinct or close to it. These are small population groups that cling to survival in various lands and in small cultural groups in the City-State of Khromarium.

We're not going that detailed into the Greek writing system, not any other writing system (from the real world or the fictional races). That level of depth is something you would have to develop on your own, but I do appreciate that you are able to bring a greater level of authenticity to the Hellenic people of your Hyperborea campaign!

The same thing goes for Athenian, Spartans, and Macedonians. Because the Greeks of Hyperborea have been in the realm for more than a thousand years, and because their race is in severe decline (Green Death, wars, monsters, intermingling with others), distinguishing between them is not being done in any official capacity -- but of course you are welcome to do so in your campaign. The surviving Greeks may have had their cultural and ethnic differences many centuries ago, but in the year 576, when they are barely surviving as a cultural group, they likely would have chosen to cross-breed between their subgroups of Athenian, Spartan, and Macedonian. Or, it's also possible that only one of those groups survives today; perhaps the Athenians. 

Great discussion! 

Cheers,
Jeff T.

6/16/2021 10:32 am  #98

Doctor_Rob wrote:

Presumably, with the system as originally set out by Ghul (where the side with initiative do all their actions, and then the losing side do all theirs), a stationary archer with initiative can declare a hold action with an intention to shoot any advancing opposition.  They can then take their shot when the other side moves.  This seems fair even though it’s no longer the turn of the archer because each side would have declared actions at the start, and if that’s what the winning archer intended to do, then so be it.

Precisely so.

6/16/2021 11:01 am  #99

Ghul wrote:

The map is mostly the same -- it's been recolored, and we have some new fonts, and there may be a few additional places named, but nothing significant. The default year remains 576, so nothing new such as a city-state has popped up overnight. 

Bear in mind that the new races are mostly not new (except for the Franks, mentioned in 3e for the first time). They've been mentioned in previous editions as either considered extinct or close to it. These are small population groups that cling to survival in various lands and in small cultural groups in the City-State of Khromarium.

We're not going that detailed into the Greek writing system, not any other writing system (from the real world or the fictional races). That level of depth is something you would have to develop on your own, but I do appreciate that you are able to bring a greater level of authenticity to the Hellenic people of your Hyperborea campaign!

The same thing goes for Athenian, Spartans, and Macedonians. Because the Greeks of Hyperborea have been in the realm for more than a thousand years, and because their race is in severe decline (Green Death, wars, monsters, intermingling with others), distinguishing between them is not being done in any official capacity -- but of course you are welcome to do so in your campaign. The surviving Greeks may have had their cultural and ethnic differences many centuries ago, but in the year 576, when they are barely surviving as a cultural group, they likely would have chosen to cross-breed between their subgroups of Athenian, Spartan, and Macedonian. Or, it's also possible that only one of those groups survives today; perhaps the Athenians. 

Great discussion! 

Cheers,
Jeff T.

excellent.
thank you so much about that clarification.
i was "afraid" of a huge change of the map mostly.

i do understand the weird balance of all these demographics though, but i felt i had to ask.
in due time will make a supplement with examples of greek writing and how i think greek could be in the hyperbοrean world.

thank you a lot.

Last edited by demetrisathanasopoulos (6/16/2021 11:03 am)

6/16/2021 11:22 am  #100

Ghul wrote:

Great discussion! 

Cheers,
Jeff T.

excellent.
thank you so much about that clarification.
i was "afraid" of a huge change of the map mostly.

i do understand the weird balance of all these demographics though, but i felt i had to ask.
in due time will make a supplement with examples of greek writing and how i think greek could be in the hyperbοrean world.

thank you a lot.

Please do! I'm sure that most of the community here could learn a lot from you in this regard.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.