!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2021 8:32 am  #1

Hyperborea GIS

So, last night while I was looking at the big map hanging on my wall...

I was wondering if I put an island in the River Okeanos, in the center of the 2 opposing currents, where will it be the largest distance from any other bit of land?

That got me thinking "If I digitized it...maybe I could do that programmatically?"

I want to say that somewhere around Tinsaar, the Kitasion Archipelago and Thaumagorga's Teeth looks to be the spot.

So, the location is 19N 22W (about) is my best guess.

Now, what does an island with 2 strong currents going in both directions look like?

What are the currents like around it if the shape causes weird eddies and such?

How difficult is it to even get a ship to anchor there?

Why is it there?

Just the usual stuff when making up weird things for hyperborea

What? Me worry?

3/11/2021 12:47 pm  #2

Re: Hyperborea GIS

Glynn and I have been working on an update to the map, and this very topic came up. He shared with me this animation of Jupiter with its opposing flows:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/PIA02863_-_Jupiter_surface_motion_animation.gif

According to Glynn: "When the two edges meet, each edge pulls in the directions it’s heading, but then swirls into the other path and goes the other way."

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/11/2021 12:50 pm  #3

My best determination of what this island might be in that area.

That is about as distant as it can be from all near land.

Hmmm, now I'm looking at Minotauros and even the Zangerios Islands might have some spots that might also work.

Further investigation is now needed.

What? Me worry?

3/11/2021 1:02 pm  #4

Yeah, no, those spots are closer to land than the one above.

Also, it oddly works out that each pixel is about 1 mile of distance.

So about 340-350 miles to the closest bits of land.

Hmmm, now I'm wondering what I did with that idea of smaller obelisks and see if any happening to be in the area.

What? Me worry?

3/12/2021 11:00 am  #5

Great stuff! Keep us posted.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.