!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2014 10:28 pm  #1

AFS 5 - a call out for writers/submissions

Hi, now seeking submissions for issue #5 of AFS Magazine.
Details and submission guidelines etc can be found here http://www.odd74.proboards.com/thread/9553/afs-5-seeking-submissions
Shooting for a May 1st 2014 deadline. Thanks....write it....send it in....

This will be the cover art (minus the writing and border)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

4/13/2014 9:09 am  #2

Re: AFS 5 - a call out for writers/submissions

That cover art looks great Scaly! As usual.
--Ron--

Last edited by rredmond (4/13/2014 9:10 am)

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

5/22/2014 12:09 am  #3

For any that have interest - AFS 5 took some steps forward today. This is creeping into your neighborhood soon..

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/16/2014 11:37 pm  #4

AFS Magazine Issue #5 is released! well for pre-order at least - and available for purchase. It will ship within the next 2 weeks, just trying to form an initial batch order as I did last time/issue as these are hand produced. It contains a full color cardstock cover, & a color map is 45 pages long and will be sent by parcel mail. Each copy costs $10.00 USA Domestic includes shipping, $12.00 Canada includes shipping, $15.75 International includes shipping. It includes old school gaming adventures, tables, a short fiction piece and articles with a nod to the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, Jack Vance, Robert E Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith.
AFS 5 contains a special focus on the writings of Michael Moorcock.
-
Paypal is accepted, just go to http://www.paypal.com and my paypal is srmoberly at yahoo.com. Please ensure the address paypal has on file for you is accurate. Pre-ordering through this process allows your order to be processed and shipped within the initial wave.The first 20 copies sold will be numbered and signed.
Thanks for your support.

AFS Magazine #5   - Table of Contents

Adventure - The Dogs of Muskovia written for the Chaosium Hawkmoon  RPG by  Shannon Appelcline

Weapon - Naladamar – also known as the Black Sword, Nightbringer, the Dead Sword, and the Vampire Blade
By Allan T. Grohe, Jr (grodog)

Adventure - Post Apoc Germania, 2512 A.D written for the Chaosium Hawkmoon RPG by Scott Moberly

Fiction – The House of the Sphinx by Lord Dunsany (1912)

Adventure – The Howling Caves of Sorrow by Tim ‘Turgenev’ Hartin, for any Classic D&D rule set levels 6-8

Interview – Ken St Andre talks with AFS about his time working on the Stormbringer RPG by Chaosium

Adventure – The Stories of the Ship of the Dead written for the Chaosium Stormbringer RPG by Shannon Appelcline

Article - Hyperborean Grimoires by the Scribe Lestrade

•    (Editor’s note: The cover art depicted is by Susan Seddon-Boulet and is copyright SSB c1987,  used by grateful permission of Eric Boulet .)

Last edited by Scalydemon (6/20/2014 3:04 pm)

6/17/2014 6:38 am  #5

Cool man, thanks. Order placed!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/18/2014 10:47 am  #6

Ditto.

6/18/2014 1:19 pm  #7

This looks really amazing. I'm hoping AFS 1-4 will be back in print soon as i'm looking to order all of them.

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

6/19/2014 10:03 pm  #8

Thanks a lot amigos for the orders. AFS 5 pre -orders and current orders should start shipping within the next 7 days. I hope you enjoy the issue.

Issues 1-4 I hope to re-print and have back available this coming Fall. I am out of the covers for them and other things at the moment

6/23/2014 2:01 pm  #9

Scaly, if it is OK with you, I have two more subclasses in the works, and I would love to use AFS as the testing ground for them. One is a hunter class (fighter subclass) and the other is a seer (cleric subclass). Ideally, when we go to hardcover with AS&SH, I'd like to include these two classes as well as the cryromancer (magician subclass) and purloiner (thief subclass) as seen in previous AFS issues.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/23/2014 3:34 pm  #10

Nice!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/23/2014 11:25 pm  #11

Ghul wrote:

Scaly, if it is OK with you, I have two more subclasses in the works, and I would love to use AFS as the testing ground for them. One is a hunter class (fighter subclass) and the other is a seer (cleric subclass). Ideally, when we go to hardcover with AS&SH, I'd like to include these two classes as well as the cryromancer (magician subclass) and purloiner (thief subclass) as seen in previous AFS issues.

That would be awesome Jeff! I am already looking fwd to some other cool stuff for AFS 6 also that I think you will like from a British game author whose work I know you like. Hopefully he'll end up submitting something as discussed anyways. Sometimes you never know

Also - AFS 5 is starting to ship starting tomorrow in batches. I am finally at the stage to be producing magazines this evening and addressing envelopes. I will keep shipping them in batches for the next week or so probably. I do have a large handful of stock if anyone new orders. The initial 20 signed/numbered ones have been gone for awhile. Thanks!

Last edited by Scalydemon (6/23/2014 11:26 pm)

6/24/2014 12:19 pm  #12

More sub-classes are always welcome!
I talked with Scott briefly and am hoping to have an adventure ready for AFS #6.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

7/09/2014 8:35 am  #13

Scott, I finally got a chance to read AFS 5 yesterday; it arrived while we were traveling. Nice work! The interview in particular is fantastic and fascinating, and the "D&D" adventure is really well made. Thanks for your work!

8/07/2014 6:34 pm  #14

Handy Haversack wrote:

Scott, I finally got a chance to read AFS 5 yesterday; it arrived while we were traveling. Nice work! The interview in particular is fantastic and fascinating, and the "D&D" adventure is really well made. Thanks for your work!

Thanks for the feedback Handy. Yeah I think there are some good bits in there, and that interview is enlightening. Ken St Andre seems to tell it like it is/was.
I might do another interview for AFS 6 as I think it breaks things up a little

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.