!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/18/2020 10:13 am  #1

Khromarium and Swampgate Placement:

Just a few questions on size and location of cert settlements and of Mount Forp:

Khromarium, what is the official size for such a metropolis, the peninsula it is on is roughly 15 miles wide, does Khromarium reach the sides of this area of land (like I think Chainsaw's map) or I could presume Tim Callahan's map (which has been erased from Ghul's post, but lucky I manage to copy it before tinypic got tinnier!) which seem to be walled along the coast, meaning (give or take a mile or so) about 15 miles wide?

Or is it just the fact the city is on a smaller peninsula attached to larger peninsula and is not as big as I think it seems. I would enjoy Khromarium being vast, but not sure just how vast that might be.

An metropolis might as much as a million people, but in or days, that would be a large town; not a city or metropolis. 

Many others opinions are wanted.

I enjoy Zak Schooley's map, but if I getting it right his south area is only one and a half miles long along the coast and 0.6 miles from south to north. I believe I could walk around the outside of the city in two hours. This of course if the measurement for distance is in feet and not yards? 

Also:

Swampgate was moved (from old map to new conversion), was this an error or an official decision to get it near the Tar Pits? I know it only about 15 miles to the NE, but with maps, you know how it is... 

Also Mount Forp was Forptycle, was there a reason for this or does it just look too much like ''For pity, cek (Sake),'' or should I just blame Xathoqqua?  

7/23/2020 11:48 am  #2

Re: Khromarium and Swampgate Placement:

Caveman wrote:

Just a few questions on size and location of cert settlements and of Mount Forp:

Khromarium, what is the official size for such a metropolis, the peninsula it is on is roughly 15 miles wide, does Khromarium reach the sides of this area of land (like I think Chainsaw's map) or I could presume Tim Callahan's map (which has been erased from Ghul's post, but lucky I manage to copy it before tinypic got tinnier!) which seem to be walled along the coast, meaning (give or take a mile or so) about 15 miles wide?

Or is it just the fact the city is on a smaller peninsula attached to larger peninsula and is not as big as I think it seems. I would enjoy Khromarium being vast, but not sure just how vast that might be.

An metropolis might as much as a million people, but in or days, that would be a large town; not a city or metropolis. 

Many others opinions are wanted.

I enjoy Zak Schooley's map, but if I getting it right his south area is only one and a half miles long along the coast and 0.6 miles from south to north. I believe I could walk around the outside of the city in two hours. This of course if the measurement for distance is in feet and not yards? 

It is has not been officially measured to this point, only rough sketches and lists full of the people, places, and organizations that I would like to see contained therein. This may change, but my current sketches and notes show the city proper to be about 5 miles wide and surrounded by farms and marshlands.

Swampgate was moved (from old map to new conversion), was this an error or an official decision to get it near the Tar Pits? I know it only about 15 miles to the NE, but with maps, you know how it is... 

For the most accurate representation for Swampgate and its proximity to the tar pits, please reference the Swampgate Territory map in the hardback (p. 591). There you will see that the town is about 22 miles away from where the tar pits begin. 

Also Mount Forp was Forptycle, was there a reason for this or does it just look too much like ''For pity, cek (Sake),'' or should I just blame Xathoqqua?  

There was an internal reason for the name change, so feel free to blame Xathoqqua.

Cheers!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/24/2020 2:40 am  #3

Okay Khromarium, 5 miles wide. I doing one as 15 miles wide, but I can vary, Tanelorn idea; but that every dimension the city is in, it size can be different.

Swampgate as new version (2E), I not know why, but I prefer 2E version. I do prefer it closer to Tar Pits.

I just want to blame old Xathoqqua, but what was the official reason?

Khromarium Factories:

Tried a few thoughts on their purpose. I got a bog iron industry (with obvious peat burning for fuel). We have armour, weapons, pots and pans, thinking of making some of the newer Khromarium bridges from iron girders. But I starting to falter, what could keep the fires burn (apart from a fear that if the fires end; that they will not get the furnace to relight). What other resources do the factories make.

It would be expecting too much if they has a small industry making skyships, but there might be some private contracts, so what is the main purpose of the factories... (at least of some of them).

Any ideas?

7/24/2020 9:34 am  #4

Well, the thicker part of the peninsula is definitely about 15 miles wide, but that is not all city proper; rather it's outside the walls, farmlands, marshes, etc. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/24/2020 12:39 pm  #5

Caveman wrote:

Khromarium Factories:

Tried a few thoughts on their purpose. I got a bog iron industry (with obvious peat burning for fuel). We have armour, weapons, pots and pans, thinking of making some of the newer Khromarium bridges from iron girders. But I starting to falter, what could keep the fires burn (apart from a fear that if the fires end; that they will not get the furnace to relight). What other resources do the factories make.

It would be expecting too much if they has a small industry making skyships, but there might be some private contracts, so what is the main purpose of the factories... (at least of some of them).

Any ideas? 

I assumed the factories to be used for many typical things such as slaughter houses, dyeing, tanning, some shipbuilding, and other nefarious and malefic activities. Training houses for slaves and pit fighters. Alchemical factories that attempt to convert mundane materials to precious, flesh golem factories, etc.

I hesitated having factories that produced devices like skyships as the knowledge of producing such things is lost! Magic factories would bring too much high fantasy to a campaign for me. Obviously just my preference.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/24/2020 1:25 pm  #6

Yeah, I was gonna comment that skyships should no longer be a production item. They are relics from a prior age :-)

What? Me worry?

7/24/2020 8:02 pm  #7

Concur on the skyships: they should be used as devices to get PCs from one adventure to the next. Maybe even from Hyperborea to Saturn...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

7/25/2020 3:24 am  #8

Ghul wrote:

Well, the thicker part of the peninsula is definitely about 15 miles wide, but that is not all city proper; rather it's outside the walls, farmlands, marshes, etc. 

Cheers Ghul, I try to work that into to my map image...

Caveman wrote:

Yeah, I concur also, but I meant some mad sorcerer that found an ancient plan of a skyship and was making a metal foundry build some components for him. Seriously 1-in-1000 (if not more) chance of it happening.

But what could pollute a city so badly they have a smog covering it 24 hours a day; is they burning peat (or other fuel: wood, coal?) to heat what: have we got furnaces > creating heat (steam?) > for engines (like wind or water mills) movement like the boiler room in the Titanic or something? > to make what?

mabon5127 wrote:

I assumed the factories to be used for many typical things such as slaughter houses, dyeing, tanning, some shipbuilding, and other nefarious and malefic activities. Training houses for slaves and pit fighters. Alchemical factories that attempt to convert mundane materials to precious, flesh golem factories, etc.

Cheers, some good ideas that I will use...

It is just on the map I creating, that I want to call one of the Factories, a metalworks (concerning bog-metal mines/sites I plan to add) or a sawmills with machinery part (metal or wood, giant moving cogs, etc.) to cut through large trucks with metal bandsaws or to create underwater heating for the rich; whose mansions are nicely heated in winter time, but so much as it covers their fine houses in a layer of thin black soot that over the years has turned their pristine walled abodes it dull grey revulsive places to live in; but yet they survive warm through the harsh times.

7/26/2020 10:33 am  #9

The creation of warm water for heating was the first thought that I had. And if the coal being used is low quality it will produce lots of smog.

While it would only be relevant during the cold months, in my head I imagined a city with many coal burning stoves (like London during the 18th and 19th centuries) that were used to both cook and keep apartments warm.

7/27/2020 4:04 am  #10

Okay, low quality coal, good stuff, I will need to create coal mines in some nearby hills, perhaps from Stonebrook, they have plenty of hills nearby...

Chat with my mother, as she remembers well the old factories here in Glasgow belching smoke and poisonous gases.

The creation of Charcoal; it seems burning wood into charcoal creates a longer lasting fuel; not as good as coal, but prolonging.

Then there is smoking fish (or kippers) to preserve the fish, they smoke it; so as Khromarium is a major fishing industry city. A lot of the factories will be constantly smoking the fish, not only creating fumes, but an abundance of varied smell, the fish and the smoke included...

7/27/2020 6:44 am  #11

Caveman wrote:

Okay, low quality coal, good stuff, I will need to create coal mines in some nearby hills, perhaps from Stonebrook, they have plenty of hills nearby...

Chat with my mother, as she remembers well the old factories here in Glasgow belching smoke and poisonous gases.

The creation of Charcoal; it seems burning wood into charcoal creates a longer lasting fuel; not as good as coal, but prolonging.

Then there is smoking fish (or kippers) to preserve the fish, they smoke it; so as Khromarium is a major fishing industry city. A lot of the factories will be constantly smoking the fish, not only creating fumes, but an abundance of varied smell, the fish and the smoke included...

We had a minor bog iron town near where I live called Furnace Town. Lots of coal used to run the furnace. Now just a minor tourist escape in the middle of the woods. Imagine a few dozen of these going night and day to produce Iron to be shipped to the ends of Hyperborea!

While in my soul forever

7/27/2020 6:47 am  #12

http://www.furnacetown.org/iron-furnace-1   

This is a neat little place near my home. Its silent now but if you sit in the woods you can almost hear the creaky wagons moving up the charging ramp and the hammers of the smiths that worked in the town. Perhaps you can smell the acrid odor of the ash in the air. Wonderful place.

While in my soul forever

7/28/2020 2:07 pm  #13

Nice one Mabon, cheers!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.