!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2020 1:59 pm  #1

Looking for suggestions for a jail break scenario

I blame it on watching the Steve McQueen version of Papillon way too many times, but I'm hankering to run a jail break adventure with two slight twists.

First, instead of the old "you wake up naked with non of your belongings" version of the PCs being imprisoned and needing to escape, I want to have the PCs start on the outside and break somebody out. Second, and this is where I'm soliciting suggestions, I don't want a jail in the middle of a city. Rather I'm looking at a penal colony or gulag style prison. In other words while there are walls to enclose the prisoners, the surrounding countryside is the final fortification imprisoning the poor bastards.

So, assuming that Khromarium has a "hard labor" category for prisoners, where would the city elders have the punishment take place away from the city itself and possibly provide some economic benefit?

6/20/2020 6:29 pm  #2

Re: Looking for suggestions for a jail break scenario

tomas wrote:

So, assuming that Khromarium has a "hard labor" category for prisoners, where would the city elders have the punishment take place away from the city itself and possibly provide some economic benefit?

Hmmm...an island just offshore? Since it's probably a "strange bird", maybe name it after a pterodactyl or pteranodon?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

6/20/2020 7:44 pm  #3

You can even pair that with an idea I think someone posted about the island also being a hunting reserve.

Part of the jobs done is to "beat the bushes" flush the prey.

Not sure how that might work in the scenario but just throwing stuff at the wall.

What? Me worry?

6/20/2020 9:25 pm  #4

Building on some of the existing Hyperborean lore, you could have the prison on a mountain peak, with surly enslaved bird-men flying the prisoners and guards to and from the place. That would present the PCs with a very difficult challenge just to reach the prison.

ETA: The "economic benefit" could be a gold or rare gem mine on the peak, with prisoners enslaved to work the mine.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/20/2020 9:27 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/20/2020 9:38 pm  #5

And one of the guards or NPCs has to be named Thin Lizzy....

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/21/2020 11:51 pm  #6

Another possibility would be an underwater prison - maybe a repurposed Atlantean facility. Possibly accessed by primitive submersibles? Perhaps the warden is in league with fish-men or crab-men?

I always tend toward a "fantastic" scenario. That's why I play fantasy games!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/22/2020 8:02 am  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

Another possibility would be an underwater prison - maybe a repurposed Atlantean facility. Possibly accessed by primitive submersibles? Perhaps the warden is in league with fish-men or crab-men?

I always tend toward a "fantastic" scenario. That's why I play fantasy games!

Yes, that sounds suitably AS&SH-ian!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.