!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2020 9:03 am  #21

Re: Modiphius Conan & AS&SH

Hackmaster 4e is basically a mash-up of 1e/2e AD&D.  So these are subclasses of the main classes.  So one could just map them closest to the appropriate AS&SH class for those things.  The Brigand, for example, could be thief or scout. The gladiator would be a fighter.  I had forgotten about those little saving throw bonuses, but they won't be hard to figure out.  Their hit dice, experience etc., port right over.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/13/2020 9:19 am  #22

Also, I was going through the Conan core book last night and I am going to incorporate cultural traits and skills.  The ones they have listed will easily port over to general skills or non-weapon proficiencies and in some cases, minor weapon bonuses.  Hyrkanians, for example, get the "Born in the saddle" talent in Conan.  So this would be a riding proficiency with +1 to mounted archery.  They also have something called "caste," which is basically your social background or upbringing that confers some minor ability.  This is equivalent to secondary skills in AS&SH.  Players can roll or choose.  I think this will add a lot of flavor without too much mechanical crunch.  I probably will not end up adding ability score adjustments with this in place since humans are all humans in the end. 

I'm going to roll up a few characters randomly once I get all my charts figured out to see how it works in practice, but it's shaping up to be a very interesting marriage of systems.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/14/2020 3:33 am  #23

Actually been reading some of 2d20 stuff, the Ride in the Saddle ability could include, Sleeping in the Saddle effect.

Yeah abilities are an awkward one, a character with Str 20 due to a +1 Cultural boost and the player selects a +1 Str for age (after reaching age 21) as there seems to be no written restriction on that fact; means creating an addon to top of each Attribute chart for any bonuses. In fact I wander what a Str 19 does?

Still adapt or die...

I have Hackmaster 1e, so it good fun, even though my character drools and was going bald, ah, gee that what I do also, darn, still good fun game.

Crom!!!

6/14/2020 6:44 am  #24

Caveman wrote:

Yeah abilities are an awkward one, a character with Str 20 due to a +1 Cultural boost and the player selects a +1 Str for age (after reaching age 21) as there seems to be no written restriction on that fact; means creating an addon to top of each Attribute chart for any bonuses. In fact I wander what a Str 19 does?

I've extrapolated the AS&SH attribute tables into the same range as the Deities and Demigods book: so Str 19 is +3/+3 hit/damage, 7:8 Test, 40% Extraordinary Feat. I did this in preparation for an Epic AS&SH game, beyond 12th level. It's not too hard to figure out.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

6/14/2020 9:10 am  #25

Yeah, I'll be choosing stats for boss NPCs, rolling for others as needed.  As for the Hackmaster classes, they are basically like 1.5e AD&D.  So, to give a couple examples, here you go:

Pirate
Attacks & saves as Thief
Ability score requirements: Str:9; Dex:14; Con:9
Hit Dice:d8
Alignment: Any Non-Good
Gets 1 Skill at Creation: Navigation, Sailor, or Shipwright
Gets Acrobatic Skill; Weather Sense; Swimming
Can Climb Walls (+40% if rigging or has abundant handholds)--Table in Book
Can Slip into Shadows at 50% (I will add +5%/level)
No armor allowed, but gets AC bonus
Also gets save bonus to attacks that can be dodged
Can carry dagger in mouth while climbing
Can fight on awkward surfaces, planks, rigging w/o penalty
Note: They also have a fighter variant of pirate with d10 HD, etc., but I prefer this version
Swashbuckler
Attacks as fighter; saves as thief
Ability score requirements: Str:9; Dex:14
Hit Dice: d8
Alignment: Any
Automatic Two Weapon Fighting Skill
Other skills include tumbling, snappy comeback (taunt), social skill bonuses
+3 reaction rolls for those of opposite gender
+4 AC bonus in non-bulky armor or less
Riposte skill--Can give Doom to get attack on foe who has just attacked you

Gladiator
Attacks & saves as fighter
Ability score requirements: Str:12; Dex:12; Con:14
Hit Dice: d12
Alignment: Any
Extra Weapon proficiencies at creation (6); at least 1 must be exotic like harpoon or net
Costs double proficiency slots to learn missile weapons
Can develop own fighting style
Tumbling & Charioteering Skills
Showman: With a crowd gains +1/hit per 3 levels & can forego 1 point of damage to get extra blood to entertain crowd
Must follow code of ethics (no backstabbing, etc.)
They also include arena rules in the class description

6/14/2020 9:12 am  #26

Also, I'll be statting up Conan himself and a few other iconic characters, just for fun.  I have the old TSR AD&D Conan and Red Sonja modules so I'll use those as starting points.

6/14/2020 12:36 pm  #27

Thanks for the class examples: are those Hackmaster, or your house-ruled version of AS&SH?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

6/14/2020 2:45 pm  #28

Those are Hackmaster with a couple of my tweaks.  I've actually found that adding the Doom feature from Conan 2d20 is pretty easy and it can be used to give PCs special or unique abilities.  For example, with the Riposte ability, if the PC gives the DM a Doom point, they can respond to an attack by a foe, even if they've already exhausted their regular attacks.  Players can always give the DM Doom to re-roll at the rate of 2 Doom points per roll.  For Red Sonja, I gave her the ability to totally dodge damage by giving a Doom point.  So I think it will work out pretty cool.

And I'm not allowing ability scores to exceed 18 FWIW.

6/14/2020 4:17 pm  #29

Spider of Leng wrote:

And I'm not allowing ability scores to exceed 18 FWIW.

Yes, I will only do so if we ever play an Epic AS&SH campaign (levels 13+).

6/15/2020 3:46 am  #30

Keep placing the class example in post Leng, I copying them for later.

6/15/2020 9:07 am  #31

Okay, by request, here are a couple more:
Brigand
Attacks as ranger & saves as thief
Ability Score Requirements: Str: 12; Dex: 12
Hit Dice: d8
Alignment: Any but LG or LN
Any weapons or armor
Has thief skills of Move Silently, Climb Walls, Hide in Shadows
Know Terrain Ability
Sneak Attack (Akin to Thief backstab)
Fast Movement (Running)
Contacts (For selling stolen goods, etc.)
Intimidation
Reputation & Fear
[This class works very well with the Conan the Brigand supplement for obvious reasons]

Charlatan
Attacks as mage & saves as fighter; advances as thief
Ability score requirements: Int: 12; Cha: 13
Hit Dice: d6
Any weapons or armor
Alignment: Any but Lawful Good
Abilities: They have huge list of abilities from other classes, divided by level.  These can be "purchased" with gold & XP.  For example, at 1st level for 100xp & 100 gp, one can buy the parry ability; for 80 xp/gp, they can pick pockets. But one can only buy abilities with sufficient XP above the required level and cannot fall below it.  So you can't double dip for level and ability increases.  [This is in the original; I will probably pare this down once I get the Conan supplement detailing their Charlatan archetype]

Infiltrator

Attacks & saves as Thief
Ability Score Requirements: Dex: 12; Int: 12
Armor & weapons as thieves
Alignment: Any but LG
Non-weapon Abilities: Current affairs, Customs & Etiquette, History, Religion, Wilderness Lore, Languages, Dancing, Animal Handling, Map Sense, Slip into Shadows
Sneak Attack as brigand
Fast movement in non-bulky armor or less
Woodland Stride like Ranger
Uncanny Dodge (no AC penalty vs. back/flank attacks)
Trackless Step
Moving Target (-4 AC bonus if can move 5 feet or more)

Minstrel
Attack & Save as Thief
Weapons & Armor as Thief except can only use rapier among swords
Ability Score Requirements: Dex: 9; Wis: 9
Any alignment
Beginning skills: Artistic ability, culture, world affairs, history, religion, instruments/music, dancing, gossip, perform, juggling, poetry, singing, social etiquette [I think these can be slimmed down to Conan talent trees]
Can cast a limited number of spells pertaining to music & performance

Last edited by Spider of Leng (6/15/2020 9:09 am)

6/16/2020 4:08 am  #32

lol

Keep them coming!

6/17/2020 8:12 pm  #33

Here is another:

Soldier
Attacks & saves as fighter
Ability Requirements: Str: 9; Con: 9; Int: 12; Wis: 10
Hit Dice: d10
Alignment: Any Lawful
All weapons & armor allowed
Skills: Armor & weapon maintenance; Reading/Writing Reports; Military Leadership; Battle Sense
At every level from 2-12 they gain another general skill from a long list; all pertain to military skills such as heraldry, first-aid, establiush ambush zone, small unit tactics, etc.
Must attend military academy between levels to train
Can earn medals and promotions through the ranks

6/18/2020 2:51 am  #34

More officer material, to command 0-levels, I guess?

6/18/2020 8:25 am  #35

Yes; and the level titles are all military ranks.

6/19/2020 3:20 am  #36

Good, keep posting the classes Leng, interesting stuff, I can use or/and add to my Conan forum for others if they what to use... (though once you get them full constructed)

Use still using the fighter class, I guess you are, but just a question?

6/19/2020 8:06 am  #37

Yeah; I think I posted the list above of the standard AS&SH classes still in play.  So in most cases I imagine players will choose those. They'll generally get a few caste and homeland related skills and that's it.

Pirates, brigands, and maybe gladiators might be popular as well.  I tried to upload my working notes & ideas but I couldn't seem to get it attached here even though I saved it as a pdf.  I can send it in a private email if anyone is interested.

6/20/2020 2:25 am  #38

I am enjoying the higher attribute requirements for the new classes...

Yes, cheers Leng.

I sent a PM with my address.

6/20/2020 11:31 am  #39

So for fun as an experiment I decided to try and create another character using the actual Modiphius rules.  This is the fourth time I've done it and it still took close to 90 minutes to create a single PC!  Definitely reinforced my decision to switch it over to AS&SH.  Just too many rules and exceptions and you have to flip all around the rules to find stuff.  Plus, some of the terminology used in the rulebook is represented differently on the character sheet.  So it's old school for us....

6/20/2020 1:51 pm  #40

Spider of Leng wrote:

So for fun as an experiment I decided to try and create another character using the actual Modiphius rules.  This is the fourth time I've done it and it still took close to 90 minutes to create a single PC!  Definitely reinforced my decision to switch it over to AS&SH.  Just too many rules and exceptions and you have to flip all around the rules to find stuff.  Plus, some of the terminology used in the rulebook is represented differently on the character sheet.  So it's old school for us....

Have you tried using the online PC generator? After spending lots of time making a single PC (like you described) I tried the online PC generator and whipped out some PCs in far less time. The nice thing is you can toggle which books you want to use from the published set.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.