!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2020 6:19 pm  #1

Long-range communication magic?

I'm writing an adventure for my party, and the evil NPC (a 5th level runegraver) the party is pursuing is on an island in the middle of the sea near New Vinland, where he was dropped off with his apprentice by ship. There wouldn't be enough manpower for he and his apprentice to leave on a ship of their own if they had one. If this character were to successfully get the distance needed to escape said island with only his apprentice, how could he do so? He has a contact across the sea in Brigand's Bay. Is there a low enough level spell or magic item in the book, or elsewhere that you know of, that he could use to call this contact to come and rescue him?

4/29/2020 7:52 am  #2

Re: Long-range communication magic?

I'm going to make the assumption that the rescue will not be some sort of immediate teleportation of the Runegraver and apprentice away from the bad situation.

One option could be some sort of carrier raven or other such bird, if trained, could carry a message from the Runegraver to his contact. This assumes that there will be a delay in the rescue, as it'll take time for the bird to fly and the contact to get to the Runegraver. There is also the possibility that the animal is intercepted before it reaches the destination, but that's really a decision that's up to you.

If the contact has the means, the Runegraver could have set this up in advance, and requested that the contact use something to scry on him at a specific time each day. There could be a specific signal or something previously communicated that the Runegraver would give at that time and if the contact saw it, they could react as they see fit. Though again (if you wanted to add some chance to the mix), the contact could be per-occupied and forget to scry or the Runegraver is too busy to give the signal.

"You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of sh!t like you for breakfast!"

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.