!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2020 5:49 pm  #1

Secondary Skills - how many?

In the rules on page 111 we're explicitly told to roll for or choose *one* secondary skill.

But then later in the d6 task resolution (page 234) we're told to consider "secondary skills" (plural)

And then on the character sheets from north wind adventures there are 2 lines for secondary skills.

Nowhere in the rule book can I find mention of gaining extra/bonus secondary skills for race or class, nor can I find any reference to earning more when leveling up.

My question is, how should I interpret this plurality? Is it that...

1. On page 111, secondary skills are more accurately a list of backgrounds which I should then list out specific skills for?  For example, I got "carpenter" so I should list out crafting wood *skills*, saw *skills*, hammer *skills*?

2. Or that some GMs simply let players have more just because?

3. Or is it simply plural because some "secondary skills" on page 111 have multiple related trades? (Brewer / vintner)

4/26/2020 5:02 am  #2

Re: Secondary Skills - how many?

I think it coincidental drafting, without any rules intent.  Any of your 3 options are entirely possible.

4/26/2020 8:33 am  #3

acar wrote:

In the rules on page 111 we're explicitly told to roll for or choose *one* secondary skill.

I think the default is one, but I can easily imagine special situations where a PC might begin with two or acquire more during play. You should not feel constrained here, in my opinion.

acar wrote:

But then later in the d6 task resolution (page 234) we're told to consider "secondary skills" (plural)

My read is that this text refers to secondary skills as a concept, nothing more.

acar wrote:

And then on the character sheets from north wind adventures there are 2 lines for secondary skills.

Filling white space to solve the layout jigsaw puzzle? For people with big handwriting? For the referee who houserules an additional skill for whatever reason? All of the above?

In general, remember that Jeff views the rules as only guidelines and that referees should feel free to modify them according to their tastes and preferences, especially in the case of real or perceived ambiguities or inconsistencies. I think he even writes as much somewhere early on in the book's text. Regardless, we are all still happy to offer our interpretations, so don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/26/2020 10:47 pm  #4

Thank you for your responses guys. It definitely helps. 

I read a lot of rpg books so I do know a lot of this stuff is up for interpretation. This particular topic just had an odd specificity about it, and my concern was that I was missing something in the text itself.

Here's another example from page 5:

"BACKGROUND: Determine character name, personality, language(s), religion, and secondary skill(s)"

The text surrounding secondary skills is explicit that there may be more than one, yet it's also very specific that we choose exactly one.  I'm all for stuff being left up to interpretation when it's vague, but I hope you agree in this case the text is oddly specific and conflicting.

And having spent time reading Jeff's work, he's clearly detail oriented.   I'd love to know his original intention.

Last edited by acar (4/26/2020 10:49 pm)

4/27/2020 6:58 am  #5

acar wrote:

Thank you for your responses guys. It definitely helps.

I read a lot of rpg books so I do know a lot of this stuff is up for interpretation. This particular topic just had an odd specificity about it, and my concern was that I was missing something in the text itself.

Here's another example from page 5:

"BACKGROUND: Determine character name, personality, language(s), religion, and secondary skill(s)"

The text surrounding secondary skills is explicit that there may be more than one, yet it's also very specific that we choose exactly one. I'm all for stuff being left up to interpretation when it's vague, but I hope you agree in this case the text is oddly specific and conflicting.

And having spent time reading Jeff's work, he's clearly detail oriented. I'd love to know his original intention.

Interesting, We always just gave one pre adventuring background and moved on. It looks as though there was some leeway to allow more than one. Clearly, this will end up being David Prata's fault!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/27/2020 9:56 am  #6

I suppose you could roll on the table in the 1e DMG instead. That does occasionally yield more than one skill (and sometimes no skill at all).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/27/2020 9:59 am  #7

Actually, for AS&SH, I think this is the relevant line (also pg. 111):

"Furthermore, if a result such as “limner / painter / sculptor” is generated, one might simply opt to have some background in sculpting, not necessarily all three art forms."

Bolding mine. If picking one of the three forms is optional, one might instead opt (or be allowed by the DM) to have all three skills.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (4/27/2020 10:00 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/27/2020 10:57 am  #8

Blackadder23 wrote:

Actually, for AS&SH, I think this is the relevant line (also pg. 111):

"Furthermore, if a result such as “limner / painter / sculptor” is generated, one might simply opt to have some background in sculpting, not necessarily all three art forms."

Bolding mine. If picking one of the three forms is optional, one might instead opt (or be allowed by the DM) to have all three skills.

This is indeed the BTB intent: a result that has a single skill, or a cluster of related skills.

Not BTB, I really don't have a problem if a player wants to have two rolls on the chart. Or if he wants to just pick two, because he has a vision of his character's origin. Example: My character grew up working as a stabler from earliest youth, but at age 15 he got an apprenticeship as an armourer, all of which ultimately led to him becoming a cataphract. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/27/2020 3:31 pm  #9

Fantastic. I can't thank you enough for the clarity.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.