!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2020 4:18 pm  #1

Magic and movement

=17.41pxThe magic and movement section of rules (pg 254) are fairly clear that movement should not be allowed once discharging magic items or using special abilities.  But, table 92 appears to contradict this.  Is this an error?

4/24/2020 6:18 pm  #2

Re: Magic and movement

Antalon wrote:

=17.41pxThe magic and movement section of rules (pg 254) are fairly clear that movement should not be allowed once discharging magic items or using special abilities.  But, table 92 appears to contradict this.  Is this an error?

If you cast a spell in phase one you can do nothing in phase two. Thus you are given a "Hold" action meaning you are only holding. This type of Hold action does not mean you are waiting and then get to act. For instance, look at missile fire if your rate is 2/1 and you fire 2 missiles in phase one then for phase two you are assigned a Hold action, meaning you are holding till the next round. I believe this is correct.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/24/2020 6:35 pm  #3

What about if using magic items? Table 92 seems to allow movement after discharging a magic item; albeit it isclear that casting a spell then prevents further action that round.

4/25/2020 10:11 am  #4

That could be made more clear in the rules; p 254 should be cleaned up a bit.

Casting a spell = no further action allowed in the round.
This does not apply to magic item use. You can use an item and then move ½. 

Of course, if you want to simplify it, you can make it so that a ½ movement is allowed after a spell is cast. I've considered doing so in my own campaign.

Thanks for pointing it out.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.