!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2020 4:59 am  #1

Monsters in lair

The rules for monsters distinguish between the number encountered and treasure class based on whether the monsters are in their lair or not. However, unlike AD&D, ASSH has no % in Lair value in the monster description.  How do you determine whether a creature is in its lair or not?  Directly by design?  What about random encounters (especially wilderness ones)?

4/12/2020 7:41 am  #2

Re: Monsters in lair

I assume wandering monsters are not in lair. The outdoorsy characters can then have a chance to follow the signs leading back to the lair, possibly finding the kin of the first encounter. In the old days, whole adventures were created out of tracking creatures back to the lair. In dungeons (way back in the day) lots of rooms were empty and could be used for the lair of wandering monsters.  This is the way we did it.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/12/2020 12:29 pm  #3

It's up to you, basically.

If you would rather have a number to work with, you could just use the "% in Lair" number from AD&D for AS&SH monsters with analogs in those rules (which is most of them).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/24/2020 4:13 pm  #4

Thanks for thoughts on this. I like how ACKS uses %age in lair to place wilderness dungeons.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.