!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2020 6:03 pm  #1

Draw Poison

So an occasion came up in last nights game for the Shaman to try to Draw Poison from a PC that was bitten by a centipede.  He was jut within the time limit but I had already applied the poison damage .  The shaman was successful but then I had to rule on whether or not to retroactively take away the damage.  This made me wonder when a successful venomous attack by a creature is judged to go into effect.  To allow for full usage of the draw poison ability it looks like it should take up to 6 rounds, or maybe it should just apply to poison with lethal effects and damage stays damage, or if draw poison is successful it acts as like a limited healing spell for poison damage.  I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

4/07/2020 12:42 am  #2

Re: Draw Poison

I personally would not retroactively remove damage that had already occurred. So a giant black centipede would still inflict the damage even if the poison were drawn. In the case of a giant brown centipede, draw poison would interrupt the cumulative damage process and prevent further damage, but it wouldn't cure the damage that happened before the poison was drawn. In the case of a giant pink or green centipede, draw poison would cure special effects such as blindness and paralysis. Or at least that's how I see it.
ETA: Also, I don't believe draw poison can help someone hit with an "instant kill" poison (such as from a phase spider). It can only help a bite victim if the poison takes some time to kill. This is a first level ability we're talking about!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (4/07/2020 12:46 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/07/2020 5:59 am  #3

Agree with Blackadder23: it's not able to undo damage done, only prevent further effects.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/07/2020 8:30 am  #4

Agree as well.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/07/2020 1:13 pm  #5

I'd go with Blackadder's assessment as well. Damage already levied because of the Poison wouldn't be returned, but any cumulative or upcoming damage could be mitigated.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

4/07/2020 7:49 pm  #6

Ben for the win!

1/12/2023 10:33 pm  #7

When I first read about this ability the movie “Your Highness” came to mind and the scene with the poison bite!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.