!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2019 3:24 am  #1

Shield in combat

I was thinking for some time about shields. Natural choice would be equipping shield every time when using one-handed weapon. But recently I talked to some guys from Germany that came to Poland for enactment of Varangian warriors and they said some of them prefer to go shieldless with an axe or sword in one hand and keep the other hand free. They claimed the shield is ok when advancing towards enemy to protect from projectiles but when they go in close combat some of them often drop shield to gain mobility and save stamina. And when withdrawing from battle, first thing to leave behind is your shield.

I talked to them about it because it bugged me for some time how to reflect carrying the bulky piece of metal/wood. Shouldn't it penalize Movement? I'm thinking about -5/-10 depending on the size. Not something to make shielded player punished for using shield, but making him aware and feel he's carrying around bulky object.

I also think about improving bonus AC vs missile by 1 to reflect the primary usage of shield. Of course there are things like shielding other characters from missiles etc. but they are ruled quite easily according to situation.

Any thoughts? Am I being too meticulous about it? Don't want to spoil the fun by inserting too much realism.

Last edited by kane (5/09/2019 3:38 am)

Non-native English speaker - I apologize for any unclear phrasing
hyperborea.video.blog

5/09/2019 7:09 am  #2

Re: Shield in combat

Interesting line of thought. Curious to see how it unfolds as people think about it.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/09/2019 7:49 am  #3

I've thought some about this, too, especially since shields were so ubiquitous and useful, but really aren't so much in D&D. Your idea seems simple and workable.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/09/2019 9:14 am  #4

Yeah there is even a Spartan saying "Come back with your shield or on it" meaning "come back either victorious or dead." So for the Spartans if you came back without your shield means that you dropped it while fleeing the battle which supports a bit my idea of -5/-10 MV :D

hyperborea.video.blog

5/09/2019 3:31 pm  #5

Doesn't a shield already penalize movement, at least potentially? When you consider its overall contribution to encumbrance, I mean. I'm not sure I would favor that kind of double penalty myself.

On the other hand, why not try it and see if your players will put up with it?

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/09/2019 3:51 pm  #6

With a ST of 10 character is encumbered carrying 51 lbs. (-10 MV, -1 AC). So yeah there is potential for encumbrance and I wouldn't want a double penalty either. If I'd decide to go with it I could go with "when wearing shield character is always considered Encumbered" or sth like that... I will try it out and I'll see what's the feedback from players.

hyperborea.video.blog

5/10/2019 12:03 pm  #7

Well, I know that just carrying a backpack with water and food up on my mountain hikes makes me much more sluggish and crabby!

YES vote for more penalties.

5/10/2019 12:04 pm  #8

kane wrote:

With a ST of 10 character is encumbered carrying 51 lbs. (-10 MV, -1 AC). So yeah there is potential for encumbrance and I wouldn't want a double penalty either. If I'd decide to go with it I could go with "when wearing shield character is always considered Encumbered" or sth like that... I will try it out and I'll see what's the feedback from players.

So just having the shield would be a wash against its AC bonus then?

5/13/2019 7:30 pm  #9

Encumbrance check!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.