!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2019 3:06 pm  #1

Spell Ranges Outdoors

Both Moldvay D&D and Gygax AD&D explicitly state that spell ranges (but not AoE) convert from feet to yards when outdoors. I thought I'd seen that in AS&SH somewhere, but when it came up in game last night, no one could find where. With my own game coming up soon, I'd like to know if it's in there and I derped it over, if it was omitted, and if the latter deliberately or accidentally. Tia!

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

4/24/2019 3:31 pm  #2

Re: Spell Ranges Outdoors

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Both Moldvay D&D and Gygax AD&D explicitly state that spell ranges (but not AoE) convert from feet to yards when outdoors. I thought I'd seen that in AS&SH somewhere, but when it came up in game last night, no one could find where. With my own game coming up soon, I'd like to know if it's in there and I derped it over, if it was omitted, and if the latter deliberately or accidentally. Tia!

Not sure about the second edition, but we never saw that dual modality described in the first edition.
We've always played by the range given in spell descriptions, whether above or below ground.

4/24/2019 3:47 pm  #3

Re: Spell Ranges Outdoors

The only change for ranges indoors vs outdoors is for missiles.

The only change I could find for spells was for a magician finding a familiar.

As least per a text search of the Players Manual pdf.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.