!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2019 12:33 pm  #81

Re: The Cursed Cove

Emral draws the dagger and heads to the vine wall. He tests the blade carefully on the plants.

4/25/2019 2:04 pm  #82

The thick vines and heavy leaves seem to wilt away from the outstretched dagger.

4/29/2019 11:00 am  #83

On contact with the blade or proximity?  Thinking about cutting a branch.  

ooc:  Hey, you thinking about joining a game as a player?

4/30/2019 10:47 am  #84

The pillowy leaves shrink and curl away from the outstretched blade, turning a pale sickly yellow when attempting to touch the blade to the leaf.

Further insistence causes the leaf to bow to the ground away from the blade, breaking from its stem and growing brown before disintegrating to mush before contact.

4/30/2019 10:51 am  #85

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  Hey, you thinking about joining a game as a player?

Sure, I'll give it a shot. 

5/06/2019 11:54 am  #86

Dagger:  Emral moves the dagger through the center of the vine, seeing if it's going to make a cut or if it disintegrates plants/rots them, etc.

ooc:  I'm looking around.  it's... sparse.  Lots of supers starting but seem to maybe fizzle or go into GM storywriting mode.  No proper dungeon crawls that aren't 5e or PF.  Oi.

5/06/2019 6:25 pm  #87

You cannot get the dagger near any plant.
The plant seems to move itself away from the blade - disintegrate itself if it has to.

5/07/2019 8:08 am  #88

Fascinating!

How much disintegration and can he cut it in one area and then leave a segment and cut another area?

5/07/2019 1:33 pm  #89

Emral is making the attempt, though he doesn’t want to do too much damage to the ecosystem.  Can’t eat rotten nature, so to speak.

Ooc:  I am putting together a test document for my game. If you are still up for giving me a read and review, I would be very grateful. I’m not expecting a revolution in gaming but I want to make sure anything I have my name on is functional and, I hope, fun to use!

5/07/2019 1:48 pm  #90

fireinthedust wrote:

Fascinating!

How much disintegration and can he cut it in one area and then leave a segment and cut another area?

The plants are overly thick but melt away from the dagger quite rapidly.
Passing the dagger to and fro as he goes, Emral makes a 8 ft wide x 60 ft long path after a turn.
He is surrounded, but looking back down his path the comfort of the warm beach awaits.

He knows having to hack through this wall with the blade would exhaust him to death.

A deep shadow falls across the land as one of the lower orbiting asteroids passes overhead.

5/07/2019 7:09 pm  #91

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Fascinating!

The plants are overly thick but melt away from the dagger quite rapidly.
Passing the dagger to and fro as he goes, Emral makes a 8 ft wide x 60 ft long path after a turn.
He is surrounded, but looking back down his path the comfort of the warm beach awaits.

He knows having to hack through this wall with the blade would exhaust him to death.

A deep shadow falls across the land as one of the lower orbiting asteroids passes overhead.

Emral looks around the plants as he goes for anything interesting.

When the comet passes overhead, Emral tries to get a better look, even moving back to the beach if needed.

5/07/2019 11:23 pm  #92

The surrounds are solid jungle.

It's not a comet, it's a low-orbit floating rock moving very slowly, a slight spin on axis.

5/12/2019 4:19 am  #93

So is the jungle a dead end? Is everything disintegrated or can Emral pick through the cuttings for the vine branch he was hoping to make originally?

I’m not sure what to do other than searching for things and building a shelter.  There’s no dungeon or mystery to map, so I welcome any hint you might offer. Maybe we should find an NPC hireling?  Or a GM NPC allowing us to converse?

5/12/2019 8:31 am  #94

The vines beyond the influence of the dagger are unaffected. And the density of the jungle here is simply overwhelming. 
The vines that wilted away are no longer solid to the touch, a soupy mess on the ground.

But there's a whiff of that smell of smoke on the air again, blowing in from the beach.

"I’m not sure what to do other than searching for things and building a shelter."
Totally reasonable. I might add find some non shredded clothing to this list.

There’s no dungeon or mystery to map, so I welcome any hint you might offer.
There is no dungeon on the beach. I'd say finding a piece of paper from your "dream" is pretty freaking mysterious.

"Maybe we should find an NPC hireling? Or a GM NPC allowing us to converse?"
Good idea, I'd look elsewhere.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (5/15/2019 11:34 am)

6/03/2019 9:18 am  #95

Time passes as you daydream. The gentle pulse of the beach behind you silences. The vines have healed, sealing off your retreat. 

6/16/2019 5:59 am  #96

Iron Ranger wrote:

Time passes as you daydream. The gentle pulse of the beach behind you silences. The vines have healed, sealing off your retreat. 

Ooc: sorry for the absence. I’m finding the scenario lonely, and I don’t know if I’m feeling the vibe for it.  I can do it, but I’m not sure if I am a solo player.

HOWEVER, I still want to game with you, oh good Iron Ranger!  But we need more people and I mean players, and less of a sense of hopelessness(?) at the start, and in fact maybe a bit more... not super hero level, but stuff to work with, that I can do and not just wait on the GM or the dice (but not doing away with those either).
Maybe I’m finally having my midlife crisis, or feeling all over the place, I don’t know. It’s like we need more salt for a meal, or something.

Know what I mean?

6/17/2019 10:30 am  #97

I totally get it. Malak wandered around doing nothing for quite a while before Emral showed up. 
Hopefully soon someone else will show up to play!

6/17/2019 7:38 pm  #98

Iron Ranger wrote:

I totally get it. Malak wandered around doing nothing for quite a while before Emral showed up. 

How would you feel about playing a Star Wars hack I’m cobbling together? Really simple, like the game Knave, but with some features like races and special abilities that take up item slots?

6/17/2019 11:02 pm  #99

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

How would you feel about playing a Star Wars hack I’m cobbling together? Really simple, like the game Knave, but with some features like races and special abilities that take up item slots?

I don't know the star wars game or the knave game, but i can give it a shot.

6/20/2019 11:41 am  #100

Iron Ranger wrote:

I don't know the star wars game or the knave game, but i can give it a shot.

Okay so quick update: I'd planned to call the fantasy game I've been working on Knights & Knaves, and sent a draft to the creator of Knave saying "hey, this is what I've been fiddling with, would you like to read it?" and he responds "sure, send it over."  Then I give him a link and say "The working title is Knights & Knaves, as it's my material with you item slots idea?" and then I get nothing back for months.  Then yesterday he posts a new video on his Youtube review channel "Questing beast" and says he's adapting Knave and Maze Rats (his games) into a new game called "Maze Knights".  So I'm not sure what he's doing, but I'm rushing to put my stuff out there so it's there first.  It's done, but I have been dragging my feet, so it's a good motivation.  Still, kind of... annoying... that he's using knights in his title.  Dunno what I'll call the effing thing now... stupid names!!!

Anyway, I need a cover.  Do you have a preferred fantasy character type, or Skyrim build, so I can put that in among the PCs on the cover?  I'm going to be putting Emral or my wizard (who I never get to play) on, and prob another friend; but I need to move fast on this.  Yikes!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.