!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2019 10:16 pm  #21

Re: The Cursed Cove

Emral listens to his lost ghost and forces his feet out -- finding....bottom.

He stops flailing and stands finding he is only in 5 feet of water. The shore is 40 yards ahead. 

Sick Helios rising over the isle...a beach leads to jungle. Cliffs far away to the his right.

4/05/2019 5:05 pm  #22

Ooc:  I’m holding you to that!  Fine, we’ll use the same ability scores as before.  Maybe this is the afterlife, or some alternate reality.

Emral moves forward to the beach, feeling Lost.  Where were the others? The sailors, the passengers... his page, Olo?

His head was still swimming from the wreck, but he made himself think.

“Look for the wreckage, washed ashore. We hit a reef. Maybe... maybe others made it.”

He rests on the sand and looks back over the waves and the shoreline. Does he see any other people or potential salvage to search for supplies?

4/05/2019 10:06 pm  #23

Emral's muscles ache, his breaths come in gasping heaves, but he wades to the sandy beach and collapses on the sand.

The gentle waves lap at his spent body, his clothing in shreds, his gear and beloved sword all lost to The Deep.

He curses his gods  from under the un-bunned locks...clinging desperately to the spells emblazoned upon his memory. (or did Emral the Sailor dream he was a warlock last night?)

Rising Helios the only welcome sight to this true castaway.

4/06/2019 9:31 am  #24

After catching his breath, Emral looks about the area for supplies: wood for a fire or to build a shelter.

4/07/2019 12:03 pm  #25

Emral looks over the sand and then to the edge of the jungle. He is acutely aware of how much danger he is in, but forces himself to focus on the possible: one step at a time, and think resourceful.

4/07/2019 12:07 pm  #26

Emral is a wise mariner.
Add +1 WIS

Emral rubs the salty water from his eyes and waits for a clearing of his hazy vision.
In the meantime, he hears the steady roaring lap of waves and the cawing of faraway birds. 
The air is warm and thick on his skin and smells softly of brine, maybe a slight tinge of flora and  smoke...

4/08/2019 10:48 am  #27

Iron Ranger wrote:

Emral is a wise mariner.
Add +1 WIS

Emral rubs the salty water from his eyes and waits for a clearing of his hazy vision.
In the meantime, he hears the steady roaring lap of waves and the cawing of faraway birds. 
The air is warm and thick on his skin and smells softly of brine, maybe a slight tinge of flora and  smoke...

Smoke?

Emral follows the smell cautiously, hoping to find others from the ship but knowing it could be unfriendly others.

4/08/2019 11:06 am  #28

The scent is fleeting, only the slightest tinge on the soft salty air every now and again, so that it could be an imagination.

The beach seems to be in a cove. The beach is pristine. Looking out over the water you see the reef which seems to be keeping any of the ship ruins from washing ashore.

To your right the jungle is thick and lush.
Behind you the jungle is thick and lush. And a score of miles off a mountain rises from the interior over the canopy.
To your left the jungle gives way to a marshy wetlands.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (4/08/2019 11:07 am)

4/08/2019 4:08 pm  #29

Iron Ranger wrote:

The scent is fleeting, only the slightest tinge on the soft salty air every now and again, so that it could be an imagination.

The beach seems to be in a cove. The beach is pristine. Looking out over the water you see the reef which seems to be keeping any of the ship ruins from washing ashore.

To your right the jungle is thick and lush.
Behind you the jungle is thick and lush. And a score of miles off a mountain rises from the interior over the canopy.
To your left the jungle gives way to a marshy wetlands.

The wetlands are the source of the brine smell, and likely fresh water. However, the idea of encountering snakes or crocodiles without even a stick is not encouraging.

Still, water is life or death. And wetlands must be fed by a river somewhere, likely from the mountain. There are likely no survivors from the ship, as even the wreckage was kept from the shore.

Emral looks at the reef, and the direction the waves are moving.  Would the waves move to the wetlands or the other direction?  If someone else made it, and if they need help, Emral wants to check in the most logical direction.

If it’s clear he is alone, then he’s going to go towards the wetlands. Not wading in but following the water inland to get the a fresh water source.

4/08/2019 7:50 pm  #30

Emral starts the long trek toward the marsh. He soon realizes it's further than it looked, maybe a mile. 
Water rivulets stream toward the sea, and stepping over Emral notices the absence of shells in the sand. 

Roll d12.

4/09/2019 7:49 pm  #31

d12: 3

4/09/2019 8:29 pm  #32

Emral notices pieces of dung in the rivulet.

4/10/2019 11:30 am  #33

Iron Ranger wrote:

Emral notices pieces of dung in the rivulet.

Investigate the dung. Size and shape? And are there signs of fibers and plants, or signs of animal bones like in owl pellets?  As an alchemist he is very familiar with dung, from fuel to some uses for potions.

4/10/2019 5:04 pm  #34

Ape-man.
Without a doubt.

4/10/2019 8:33 pm  #35

Emral checks for how recently the dung was left there, and looks up stream to check for more.

If it’s clear he drinks as much as he can of the fresh water, and then thinks.

Are there tracks away from the dung?  Are there signs going up stream or in the direction that Emral was heading?

4/11/2019 8:38 am  #36

The dung is not fresh, and there is not much more up the rivulet.
The water is clear and quite salty, so Emral decides not to drink.

There is no stream, only the small rivulet running down the beach, perhaps the fresh water is further inside the jungle. 

The only tracks are Emral's own.

4/11/2019 2:11 pm  #37

Iron Ranger wrote:

The dung is not fresh, and there is not much more up the rivulet.
The water is clear and quite salty, so Emral decides not to drink.

There is no stream, only the small rivulet running down the beach, perhaps the fresh water is further inside the jungle. 

The only tracks are Emral's own.

Perhaps the dream was too real, but it was enough for Emral to ponder how short life is. The warlock continued to walk upstream, to see if he could find water with less salt; odd, as it was coming from the land, which is typically fresh until the ocean.

Ooc: was at Florida Everglades and the brine is an area where salt and fresh water mixes, allowing alligators and crocodiles.  Normal rivers are fresh with salt collection in large bodies of water over long periods of time, so this rivulet is odd. Maybe it’s trickling over very salt-rich soil, like a vein of salt that could be mined.
That’s a great place for a community to build due to access to salt for food storage as well as nutrition.
The problem is that Emral needs water and food. And if the other people survived, the local people may have them. I’m aware that in reality it’s wise to run the other way, but I’m hoping that this is a heroic fantasy scenario, and scouting around will be rewarded rather than just killing off the hero.  But that’s also up to the dice, and Emral was having a really legendary run of bad rolls last iteration.  So here’s hoping!

Also: off topic:  I know you don’t want super hero PCs, but I have never gained a magic sword in my years of gaming (well, one +1 sword in 2e, and a few odds and ends, but nothing memorable that wasn’t cursed or started with via a budget of magic items when starting at a higher level. The reason is I usually GM, so it doesn’t come up).  Not that you have to fake it, but if there’s something like that, or armour, that’s something I would enjoy using rather than getting right before the end credits, right?
Ditto friendly recurring NPCs, party hirelings, a stronghold, a named archenemy, etc.  I know they’re long term but I just wanted to put it out there that I would happily enjoy long term options.  The classic campaign is something I have never experienced as a player, and only as aGM. So if I get ye magic gear, earned through play, it would be a first. Plus an investment in future adventure completion.  But I’m not saying super hero level auto win goofiness.  That’s something I agree with you about.

4/11/2019 3:37 pm  #38

The small rivulet leads up the beach to a small pool of seawater trapped by a berm of sand left by hightide.
Several tiny fish flitter around, unaware yet that they are trapped.

4/12/2019 12:51 pm  #39

Emral looks around for driftwood or branches.  He’s looking over the edge of the pool very cautiously scoping the terrain.  He wants to poke a hole into the pool sand so the water will drain faster

4/12/2019 1:35 pm  #40

The beach is pristine. Perhaps there are branches or sticks inside the jungle, another 400 yards away. 
Driftwood might have collected in the marsh off to your right...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.