!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2015 4:49 pm  #141

Re: AS&SH 2nd Print?

One of the many things I love about AS&SH are the class options. It will be nice to have additional classes and a general update of those other things you mention. Actually more monsters will be great too! I would love to see Brown Jenkin in there somewhere 

5/27/2015 5:25 pm  #142

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Actually more monsters will be great too! I would love to see Brown Jenkin in there somewhere 

I created this for the Black Fief campaign.  Maybe it will be of some use.
Daemonic Familiar (Undead Type 13)
No. Encountered: 1
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Size: S
Movement: 60 (leap 60)
Dexterity: 18
Armour Class: 0
Hit Dice: 2+2
No. of Attacks: 1 (bite)
Damage: 1d4
Saving Throw: 16
Morale: 7
Experience Points: 53
Treasure Class: -

A daemonic familiar is sent by Thaumagorga to serve only the wickedest of sorcerers.  Its mandate is to encourage its master to greater deeds of evil and depravity. A daemonic familiar appears as a small animal, such as a cat, dog, pig, or gigantic rat. But it will have disturbingly human characteristics as well: an upright posture, hands instead of paws, and a subtly human cast to its face.  In fact, it is widely believed that a daemonic familiar is in some revolting way the child of the sorcerer it serves. As long as the daemonic familiar is within one mile, its master gains the following infernal powers: 1 additional level, infrared vision, and the same spell resistance as the familiar itself. These powers are lost if the familiar and master are separated by more than one mile, and if the daemonic familiar ever dies the master immediately loses 4 levels. The daemonic familiar must be fed the blood of its master in the same manner that an infant suckles; should this need be neglected, the familiar will go at large in search of blood.

A daemonic familiar feels no true loyalty to its master, and will readily betray such in order to serve a more powerful or wicked sorcerer instead.

Special:
5-in-20 spell resistance versus CA 12 casters. For every CA level less than 12, the chance-in-twenty increases by one (+1) (see VOL. III, SAVING THROW, spell resistance).
+1 or better weapon to hit.
Cold, electricity, fire, and gas attacks inflict ½ damage, or no damage if save is made. Due to its partly-mundane nature, holy water inflicts ½ damage on a daemonic familiar.
Drains victim of blood for 1d4 hp damage per round following a successful hit; after 12 hp are drained, the sated familiar slinks away.
Can cast the following spells at will (though only one at a time): detect good, detect magic, detect invisibility. Once per day the daemonic familiar may cast suggestion.
Once per month, the daemonic familiar may contact otherworldly being (as the spell) and ask up to three questions. The answers may or may not be true, but will always be calculated to inspire some evil course of action by the familiar’s master. There is no risk of insanity from this procedure.
Can make preternatural leaps of up to 60 feet and climb any surface with no chance of falling. Can move silently and hide in shadows as a level 12 thief.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/27/2015 6:58 pm  #143

Nice Blackadder. I think that fits the spirit of Lovecraft very nicely

5/27/2015 8:00 pm  #144

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I did have more boxes than I'd originally calculated a while back, as I hadn't accounted for the overage in printing that I'd received. I'm estimating that I got about 150+ more boxes than the 1,000 that I'd ordered, so now I'm finally under 200 sets remaining. This puts me into "condition critical!" for print copies of the game, which leads me to the next printing of the game. Things will go into moton this summer!  

So you've sold close to 1000 boxed sets?  That's outstanding!

Agreed, that's awesome. Sounds like you'll be a busy man this summer!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/31/2015 7:14 am  #145

Ghul - I seem to recall you mentioining someting about Ritual Magic somewhere; any plans on introducing this into the next printing...?

5/31/2015 10:04 am  #146

Doctor_Rob wrote:

Ghul - I seem to recall you mentioining someting about Ritual Magic somewhere; any plans on introducing this into the next printing...?

It's in my notes for the next printing, but I'm not sure if it will make the cut. It involves multiple sorcerers, possibly of different types, performing group rituals to summon incredibly dangerous demons and otherworldly beings. Other rituals would cause catastrophic disasters. All rituals will be dangerous for those who dare participate in them. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/31/2015 1:52 pm  #147

Ok, thanks Ghul.  

If it Ritual Magic does not get into the second printing, would you consider uploading a PDF for Ritual Magic as an option resource...?

5/31/2015 1:52 pm  #148

Ghul wrote:

It's in my notes for the next printing, but I'm not sure if it will make the cut. It involves multiple sorcerers, possibly of different types, performing group rituals to summon incredibly dangerous demons and otherworldly beings. Other rituals would cause catastrophic disasters. All rituals will be dangerous for those who dare participate in them. 

This sounds great to me, but I understand if you don't feel it's developed or playtested enough to include yet.  Maybe one day?

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/31/2015 1:54 pm  #149

Doctor_Rob wrote:

If it Ritual Magic does not get into the second printing, would you consider uploading a PDF for Ritual Magic as an option resource...?

I agree.  If it doesn't make the cut, maybe you could make it available as a free resource and we could be your beta testers.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/01/2015 5:54 am  #150

Why don't we just get it rolling in the summer?

6/01/2015 6:29 am  #151

Ghul wrote:

Why don't we just get it rolling in the summer?

As Papa Salvador always says - he who hesitates is lost. What do you need help with?

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

6/29/2015 1:25 pm  #152

I'd definately encourage the development of the ritual magic angle.  Demonology and summoning etc are part of S&S staple.  But, the only AS&SH spell I can see that is capable of calling forth a meaningfully bad fiend is Beckon (the opposite of Dismissal).  This is fine, but there is nothing to compel the arriving entity to the sorcerer's will (so it's all down to a good-ol' negotiation - and maybe a sacrifice or two...). 

But... perhaps this is an opportunity to develop this side of AS&SH a bit more (magic circles, minor, moderate, major Planar Binding, Spiritwrack (not wishing to tread on the Priest's toes) - even if it is for fleshing-out the bad guy...

Rob

6/29/2015 8:58 pm  #153

All great points, Doctor Rob, and I look forward to chatting about this a bit more -- as soon as I'm done laying out the three modules from the Kickstarter. When those are all set, I'll be ready to get working on the next printing of the game, including ritual magic. I'll be sure to bounce some ideas off you fine fellows.  

8/07/2015 3:12 pm  #154

Ghul wrote:

But not until after we get the game in hardback, first.

Anything new to share on this front?

8/07/2015 7:00 pm  #155

Indeed! I have an agreement with Johnathan Bingham to do 26 illustrations -- that is, all the class and subclass pictures. We are also talking about 26 additional full page pieces that will all be setting related, so 52 new illustrations in all! Del Teigeler is also going to do monster illustrations, and I've spoken with Glynn Seal about re-doing the Hyperborea map. Things are in motion! Thanks for asking.

8/08/2015 9:48 am  #156

Ghul wrote:

Indeed! I have an agreement with Johnathan Bingham to do 26 illustrations -- that is, all the class and subclass pictures. We are also talking about 26 additional full page pieces that will all be setting related, so 52 new illustrations in all! Del Teigeler is also going to do monster illustrations, and I've spoken with Glynn Seal about re-doing the Hyperborea map. Things are in motion! Thanks for asking.

This is great news!  Looks like my Stand-ups will be changing!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

8/08/2015 1:43 pm  #157

Ghul wrote:

Very cool, Jeff! Lots of good things to look forward to. 

8/09/2015 12:19 pm  #158

Wow! If shipping costs won't be particularly high, this hardcover might be the first physical gaming book I buy in years.

8/09/2015 2:53 pm  #159

Ghul wrote:

This is great news! We're all looking forward to the hardcover!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

8/09/2015 3:11 pm  #160

I just bought the box and i'll definitly buy the hardcover!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.