!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2014 12:09 pm  #41

Re: AS&SH 2nd Print?

Regarding spells, I'd really like some lists themed by Deity for Clerics. Kind of like the quick start equipment lists.

5/02/2014 1:33 pm  #42

Ghul, if you're taking notes . . .

You have a quart of wine weighing in at 1 pound. Now, I don't know what kind of fancy, big-city wine you drink up there, but where I grew up we had a little saying: a pint's a pound the world around. Now, it's totally untrue. But nonetheless, no one, not even the Kthulhu-worshipping Esquimeaux, would say a quart's a pound.

And I want to change it in the encumbrance lists of my players *so bad*.

5/02/2014 4:26 pm  #43

Yeah, Handy, it should of course be 2 lbs., eh? Even that is rounding down a bit, as a gallon of water is 8.34 lbs., and wine is a bit heavier.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/04/2014 12:15 pm  #44

Ghul wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Assuming this is the thread for suggestions, I think a small map in gazetteer would be handy as well - an artistic representation like you'd see in a sword and sorcery novel (not a truly functional hexmap for gaming). I suggest this because I have been traveling a lot lately, reading the books and wishing I had an easy way to locate cities and geographical features without having the whole fold out map with me. Anyway, maybe something to throw in the pot.

Actually, this one is already on my list from a long time ago. I have this huge list of ideas; some will never stick, while others, like this one, are solid. Very useful for the game. Thank you! 

Just a thought, Jeff, but you are likely to run into Darlene at NTRPG this weekend...

6/04/2014 6:12 pm  #45

I can't possibly like the above post enough. :-)

6/07/2014 10:50 pm  #46

Chainsaw wrote:

Assuming this is the thread for suggestions, I think a small map in gazetteer would be handy as well - an artistic representation like you'd see in a sword and sorcery novel (not a truly functional hexmap for gaming).

Something like this?

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/07/2014 10:52 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/08/2014 10:44 am  #47

Nice!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/08/2014 11:01 am  #48

Blackadder23 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Assuming this is the thread for suggestions, I think a small map in gazetteer would be handy as well - an artistic representation like you'd see in a sword and sorcery novel (not a truly functional hexmap for gaming).

Something like this?

No, not like that.

Um, yeah, pretty much exactly lke that!

6/08/2014 3:17 pm  #49

Wow, Blackadder - thanks! I'm printing out that bad boy and taping it to inside of my Referree's Manual's back cover.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/08/2014 3:33 pm  #50

You're welcome.  That's as detailed as I could make it and still have it print out legibly on letter-sized paper.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/08/2014 4:28 pm  #51

This is really helpful!

6/08/2014 11:06 pm  #52

I know I've suggested it before, but a numbered hex map would be nice for those of us who like to sandbox.

6/09/2014 11:05 am  #53

Cool! Thanks, BA23!

Chainsaw wrote:

This is really helpful!

What size did you print to to fit it in the book?

6/09/2014 12:03 pm  #54

Handy Haversack wrote:

Cool! Thanks, BA23!

Chainsaw wrote:

This is really helpful!

What size did you print to to fit it in the book?

I can't quite remember. The book itself is 7x8.5, so I put the map length at 8.2ish. I had the proportions locked, so the width would have been whatever went with the 8.2.

6/09/2014 2:50 pm  #55

Hmm. When I convert the PNG to PDF, it has dimensions of 9.24 X 12.14. And the Crop fucntion won't let me reduce page size. Hmmm.

6/09/2014 2:53 pm  #56

Handy Haversack wrote:

Hmm. When I convert the PNG to PDF, it has dimensions of 9.24 X 12.14. And the Crop fucntion won't let me reduce page size. Hmmm.

I right clicked, saved to my desktop, opened it up, chose print and changed print size from there. I am using Linux Mint 17 though...

6/09/2014 3:01 pm  #57

Well, I muddled through on Windows and got an 8X6 printout somehow. It's the Dark Ages over here!

6/10/2014 7:44 am  #58

Nicely done, BA23!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/10/2014 11:49 am  #59

Thank you!

I've read, um, a couple of sword and sorcery novels with maps.  Hard to believe, I know!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/10/2014 11:07 pm  #60

That would have come in handy when I read volume VI.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.