!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2015 12:20 pm  #201

Re: AS&SH 2nd Print?

Ghul wrote:

Well, I put it on my list of things to consider. While I'm very open to adding new things to the game (new spells, new subclasses, new monsters, new magic items, weather tables, etc.), I'm much more hesitant when it comes to changing an existing thing, and to me we are flirting with that very thing; it is, however, more of a slight enhancement and not a change, which is why it's made my list of "things to consider." Thanks!

While the rule itself is fine*, I sympathize with your concerns.  I'm not sure having two slightly incompatible versions of the game is a positive at this stage (although I guess it didn't hurt TSR in the late 70's and early 80's) and I don't know that you should be making actual rules changes unless the reasons are truly exigent.

* - Although personally I'm opposed on principle to bribing players with bonuses or goodies in order to get them to play a certain class, use a certain weapon, or memorize a certain spell.  As far as I'm concerned, let them just play another class, use another weapon, or memorize another spell.  And let them eat cake too**!

** - The cake is a lie.  Some restrictions may apply.  All rites reversed in Chaotic temples.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/17/2015 11:08 am  #202

Anything new you can share, Jeff?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/17/2015 9:30 pm  #203

Chainsaw wrote:

Anything new you can share, Jeff?

It's on! I've been working on it, and others have, too.

ART! 

• Charles Lang is working on the cover. He has sent me several conceptual sketches. Things are coming together nicely on that front!
  • Val Semeiks will be doing six full-page frontispiece illustrations that will mark each of the six "volumes" or chapters of the game. He starts in December.
  • Johnathan Bingham is working on interiors. He is doing a series of full-page class illustrations -- of which there will be 26 in total! After that he might be taking on some larger scene pictures.
  • Del Teigeler will be doing several monster illustrations.
  • Glynn Seal is going to tackle the world map. 

WRITING!

I've got contributions from Ben Ball, Michael Haskell, and Colin Chapman (has anyone seen or heard from him?). Some of these contributions will be worked into the hardback alongside the three new subclasses (cryomancer, huntsman, purloiner), as well as a fourth subclass that I'm still fiddling with. It was going to be a seer, but I've been experimenting with another subclass, and I'm liking it more -- a Viking-style runecaster. 

EDITING!

David Prata will edit the whole, tidying up the new material and combing through the original material. 

It's a work in progress, I'm happy to say, but I'm also working on something else, too. Never a dull moment in the hoary wastes of Hyperborea! ;)

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Last edited by Ghul (11/17/2015 9:32 pm)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/17/2015 9:38 pm  #204

Very cool, very cool! 

11/17/2015 9:44 pm  #205

All the additions sound great.....but working on something else as well?  Very mysterious.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/18/2015 4:43 am  #206

Wow, I can't wait to see this finished product...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

11/18/2015 12:36 pm  #207

Oh yeah can't wait. Please keep us updated Jeff!

11/18/2015 12:36 pm  #208

Exalted company to be mentioned with! This is exciting stuff.

11/18/2015 5:40 pm  #209

I should have also mentioned David Prata, who's also submitted some great additions to the game, especially the weather tables, which have seen some great use in my game.

Last edited by DMPrata (12/07/2015 11:40 am)

11/18/2015 11:59 pm  #210

Weather or not your players want it?

11/19/2015 2:47 pm  #211

Handy Haversack wrote:

Your sad puns are coming on like a hurricane.

11/19/2015 6:21 pm  #212

Ghul wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Your sad puns are coming on like a hurricane.

Where the sun don't shine!

12/05/2015 11:38 am  #213

Just a small observation for the new ed....

This is essentailly to suggest extending the non-standard actions resolution system.  Curently, DMs can use the characteristic based system for physical feats (STR, DEX, CON) but there is no equivalent for the other characteristics.  It seems to me that a handy extension would be to have equivalent tests for INT, WIS and CHA.  This would be useful for lots of situations for groups who like to roll dice.

Anyway, just a thought...

Cheers,
Rob

12/05/2015 12:09 pm  #214

Doctor_Rob wrote:

This is essentailly to suggest extending the non-standard actions resolution system. Curently, DMs can use the characteristic based system for physical feats (STR, DEX, CON) but there is no equivalent for the other characteristics. It seems to me that a handy extension would be to have equivalent tests for INT, WIS and CHA. This would be useful for lots of situations for groups who like to roll dice.

Cheers,
Rob

I do this already for the "mental" stats in my campaign.  Good suggestion.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/05/2015 1:01 pm  #215

I like the idea, since I pretty much do this now: based on background, I have the players roll a d6 for any number of things (healing for the cleric of Apollo, earning a night's lodging and food by the musician, etc.).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/05/2015 3:23 pm  #216

Doctor_Rob wrote:

This is essentailly to suggest extending the non-standard actions resolution system. Curently, DMs can use the characteristic based system for physical feats (STR, DEX, CON) but there is no equivalent for the other characteristics. It seems to me that a handy extension would be to have equivalent tests for INT, WIS and CHA. This would be useful for lots of situations for groups who like to roll dice.

Cheers,
Rob

Can you suggest some uses to which players might put such checks?  I personally would be very opposed to anything that relieved players of the need to think for themselves (rolling INT checks to solve riddles or puzzles, for example) but perhaps you have something else in mind.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/05/2015 3:47 pm  #217

I already do this in some situations, but it's rare. For INT, maybe if, say, there's a pertinent fact of history or culture that the PC might possibly know, I might give the player a chance to roll for it. Never for riddles or puzzles though, as I see those as a challenge for the player, not the stats. For WIS, I might have them roll to avoid an effect that causes insanity or something. You could also do this with a save though.

12/05/2015 6:09 pm  #218

In response to the questions above, I would say that whereas some peole might like to game-out situations, others may prefer to make use of the capabilities of their larger-than-life characters.  For example, whilst the game may present the players with a puzzle, I - as a player - may wonder why my super-intelligent Wizard should be held back from solving the puzzle by my modest IQ...?!   

The point is, whilst some players prefer to game-out such situations, others may perfer to roll some dice (and let's face it, players love to roll dice!).

Including this option would be an unintrusive and natural extension to a system already in the game (which people seem to already be applying anyway).  It won't prevent anyone from gaming-out a situation, and it will permit others to dice-out the situation. 

In sum, it's a natural extentsion to an existing system making the game more inclusive to different gaming styles at virtually no cost to the system itself.

Last edited by Doctor_Rob (12/05/2015 6:12 pm)

12/05/2015 6:55 pm  #219

I'm aware that some players prefer not to do any thinking, but I don't see any reason to cater to them.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/05/2015 7:03 pm  #220

Blackadder23 wrote:

I'm aware that some players prefer not to do any thinking, but I don't see any reason to cater to them.

I think it's really a matter of preferred playing styles (and some players just like to chill ).  It may also be the DM's perferred way of playing as well as that of the players.

Anyway, it's just a thought...

R

Last edited by Doctor_Rob (12/05/2015 7:25 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.