!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2016 5:49 pm  #1

Role-playing games we can't wait to play in 2017 according to Geek...

http://geekandsundry.com/roleplaying-games-we-cant-wait-to-play-in-2017/

Though some of these are vaguely interesting I am really only anticipating one....

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/29/2016 6:29 pm  #2

Re: Role-playing games we can't wait to play in 2017 according to Geek...

Cavaliers of Mars looks interesting to me...

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/30/2016 6:23 am  #3

I'm tempted by Cavaliers of Mars too, but my group would shoot me if I brought up yet another system...the free NPC generator tells me what I need to know about the narrativist bent of the rules anyway.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/31/2016 3:33 pm  #4

There are some convenient words that tell me when I can save my money, such as "Fate", "Monte Cook", "story-focused", "story game", "class-free", "narrative-focused", "universal RPG", "Rifts", and "White Wolf".  So it looks like I'm all good here, apart from anything Jeff might publish of course.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/01/2017 8:27 am  #5

I'm afraid I judged the book by its cover. Those words conveniently inform me, too, that this is a game I would not enjoy playing, even if its Burroughs trappings are to my liking.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/01/2017 12:22 pm  #6

Yes, at least the description on their site was enough to trip my usual alarms too. I wish them well, just not my taste.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/01/2017 3:11 pm  #7

Out of these, only Blades in the Dark interest me (well, and Monsterhearts 2nd ed, but only one other in my face-to-face group shares my interest in the game, so we'll just probably stick to Urban Shadows to scratch a similar itch).

My list would be something like the following (if we stick to new games to be probably released in '17):
AS&SH 2nd ed (well, of course)
Beyond Dread Portals (don't know much about it, except it's a Planescape-esque game/setting to be published by D101 Games, if I remember correctly)
Bluebeard's Bride (a PbtA game where players play the different personality aspects of the Bride)
Break!! (an anime/JRPG-style OSR-esque game)
Stars Without Number 2nd ed (updates the system with lessons learned from Godbound and Scarlet Heroes)
Zweihänder (I've got the KS playtest version, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product)

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (1/01/2017 3:12 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.