!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2016 12:05 pm  #61

Re: AS&SH Errata

Referee's Manual, page 29, bottom, last sentence has "class VI demon" instead of "daemon".

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/21/2016 4:59 pm  #62

Chainsaw wrote:

Referee's Manual, page 29, bottom, last sentence has "class VI demon" instead of "daemon".

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/21/2016 6:58 pm  #63

Handy Haversack wrote:

Under MAN, WILD BERSERKER, the No. Encountered is 4d10, but Chieftains appear in a 1:50 ratio. I might not be a fancy, big-city DM, but even I know that (4 X 10) < 50. Is this just a subtle dig at the MAN, WILD, BERSERKER political constituency? This ship she sails without a captain!

Ha! Good catch. Those ratios need to be repaired. Thanks!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/21/2016 6:58 pm  #64

DMPrata wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're slipping, Prata! ;)

10/26/2016 1:57 pm  #65

I started a google document with just the errata from this thread.  I will update it as this thread is updated:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RpLZdWhZ0BF658_xYWSJfTDFM4lM99RPfhfc5dIEIgg/edit?usp=sharing

10/26/2016 8:59 pm  #66

francisca wrote:

I started a google document with just the errata from this thread.  I will update it as this thread is updated:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RpLZdWhZ0BF658_xYWSJfTDFM4lM99RPfhfc5dIEIgg/edit?usp=sharing

Very good! I will cross-reference it with my notes. I believe I noted every item that was actual errata, but who knows, maybe something escaped me, so I appreciate the extra set of eyes!

10/27/2016 6:12 am  #67

I've left out a few things where you clarified your intent, which I already understood in the same manner, but left a few others in which clarified things for me.

10/27/2016 9:04 am  #68

I again want to compliment Dave on the editing job he did on the boxed set, and the relative handful of errors we've found.  I was recently rereading the Forgotten Realms grey box for the first time since 1990, and the experience was ghastly.  Typos on every page.  Editing at TSR really went in the toilet when Gary left.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (10/27/2016 9:05 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/27/2016 11:37 am  #69

Blackadder23 wrote:

I again want to compliment Dave on the editing job he did on the boxed set, and the relative handful of errors we've found.  I was recently rereading the Forgotten Realms grey box for the first time since 1990, and the experience was ghastly.  Typos on every page.  Editing at TSR really went in the toilet when Gary left.

Ditto!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/12/2016 10:08 am  #70

Bestiary, page 8, under Ape-Man:

"These ape-men can read and write, found weapons and tools of iron and steel......"

I believe "found" should be "forge".

Last edited by francisca (12/12/2016 10:11 am)

12/12/2016 10:37 am  #71

Good catch! Founding is melting.

12/12/2016 7:21 pm  #72

Glad top be of service!

2/27/2017 2:27 pm  #73

Not really a mistake but maybe a symbol next to the whip, morning star, lance, and dagger on the melee weapon table would be nice to indicate that their description contains extra mechanical information (grappling details, way to sprinkle holy water, increased damage from heavy horses, and the availability of silver dagger, to be specific).

3/28/2017 10:41 am  #74

I was just reading through the monster section again, and I noticed something that hadn't really registered before (maybe because I'm not used to medusae having wings).  Are gorgons and greater gorgons supposed to be able to fly?  I ask because neither one of them has a flight speed listed...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/29/2017 5:49 am  #75

David, please email me about these last two entries; they are worth discussing.

Thanks, gents!

6/16/2017 8:29 am  #76

A small point, and maybe misplaced....

...but, should Laminated Armour (p81 Player's Manual) be more properly labelled as Lamellar Armour.  

My understanding of laminated armour would be the linen-type of the Ancient Greeks (linothorax), whereas the AS&SH description seems more akin to lamellar-type armour.

Just an observation...

(Also, as an aside, I wonder if in the new edition the term 'steel' as in "...strips of steel riveted onto leather..." might be replaced by 'metal' because some folks may want to run their game in an iron or bronze age setting, and the term 'steel' sets a period-specific vibe.  I appreciate this is verging on the obsessive,  but again, just a thought... )

Last edited by Doctor_Rob (6/16/2017 11:54 am)

6/16/2017 4:03 pm  #77

Hi Doctor Rob, 

You make a great point regarding the chosen nomenclature, which can be tricky subject -- even for the so-called experts (and amateur enthusiasts). Still, what you point to makes sense. I'll talk about it with David.

As far as your second observation, I think that once we head down the rabbit hole of genericising various items in order to open up the setting to different interpretations, we lose more than we gain. So, I prefer to leave such transcriptions in the capable hands of the individual referees. I do appreciate the thought! 

6/24/2017 10:11 pm  #78

I followed up on the word choice of "laminated". Whilst the linen type is popular, laminated armour is not limited to this style (linothorax). Thanks for bringing it up, Doctor Rob. 

6/30/2017 12:27 pm  #79

Referee's Manual, page 156, Circlet of Invulnerability, second paragraph: fourth sentence has extra words, "In such an instance In each such instance,"

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/05/2017 6:45 am  #80

Is it an oversight or is the Huntsman's Ambusher ability not supposed to grant the bonus to the rest of the party after preparation (like how the Barbarian's and the Ranger's ability work)?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.